Reviews

Official Ar tonelico™ Qoga(3): Knell of Ar Ciel discussion forum!
Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Reviews

Postby Venus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 am

I use to post there some time ago as well. I stopped going after a while though since they started to rag on JRPGs constantly.
PSN: Rena-chan43
XBOX Live: Renachan43

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 am

wildarms wrote: Anyway is great to see some people with a better atmosphere around. You will probably note how most of the post in rpg fans are from admins/reviewers (and of course, i imagine they cant talk wrong about the webmaster's opinion). Seriously, it was like the world againts me, and i knew what i was getting into, RPGfan is always like that. (ask magus, aquagon)

It was pretty funny, how everyone just started to insult me, also, some people just changed all i said to their own way to make me sound even worst.

Anyhow, i might come back every once in a while to these forums.

I pretty much explained everything how i felt with that.. review, on rpgfan

And yes, i finally reguistered Magus xD!

You should hang around here. It's a place friendly to the People of the Night.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

wildarms
Vassal
Vassal

Postby wildarms » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am

Yeah, i think i will, i really stop to go rpgfan a while ago, but that review just made no justice to the game, and this was the third game of an entry, she talked about the characters from other games like they were "cameos" when they directly influence in the story at some point, and even finish their stories, i mean, i understand if they dont like it, or rate it down, but i didnt felt that the person doing the review really got into th e game.

If someone read what i said, i was only talking about the lack of information they are giving, and how all the review was just "sexual refference blah blah" "10 years old kid looks wrong" "graphics looks ugly" "rpg where we have to battle a lot" (2 freaking lines talking about the music of this game (seriously!)) It seriously feels like the person that did the review just beat the game of ar tonelico without getting much into it, and ive already seen how big the world of ArTonelico really is (i know someone that is the master of it all though, can say he teached me most of it xD)... So, it kind of made me mad, and i knew i would get banned, knowing how everyone at RPGfan are, but somehow, i survived the war lol.
Check out my drawings >8D http://thrust-the-sky.deviantart.com/
Feel free to add me on the psn!

The "just friends" road... is an unavoidable road... no way to prevent it...

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 pm

wildarms wrote:Yeah, i think i will

Cool. Welcome to the club.

wildarms
Vassal
Vassal

Postby wildarms » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Venus wrote:
wildarms wrote:Yeah, i think i will

Cool. Welcome to the club.

rofl, i've been in the dark side by myself for a while, is time to get some company xD
Check out my drawings >8D http://thrust-the-sky.deviantart.com/
Feel free to add me on the psn!

The "just friends" road... is an unavoidable road... no way to prevent it...

OtakuStudy
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby OtakuStudy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Well if you guys want to wait another week or so, I will guarantee a bias-less review from someone (Myself) whose main gaming genre preferences are covered in the game :lol:
The Otaku's Study
http://www.otakustudy.com

AlexMason
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby AlexMason » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

OtakuStudy wrote:Well if you guys want to wait another week or so, I will guarantee a bias-less review from someone (Myself) whose main gaming genre preferences are covered in the game :lol:

Wouldn't that make you biased towards it, then?

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 pm

AlexMason wrote:
OtakuStudy wrote:Well if you guys want to wait another week or so, I will guarantee a bias-less review from someone (Myself) whose main gaming genre preferences are covered in the game :lol:

And so the cycled continued and the future refused to change...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Venus wrote:
AlexMason wrote:

And so the cycled continued and the future refused to change...

I'll try and give an unbiased review when I've finished it. I can be pretty good at that. I know how to seperate my otakuness from my review pretty well, and how to look at it from the perspective of someone who's never touched the genre.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

OtakuStudy
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby OtakuStudy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 am

I find your logic accurate, and I find that I myself, made a flawed statement.

Maybe I should say.... argh! Excuse me whilst I try and make an argument.

Eh.... lets just pull out my comment eh xD..... I was multitasking at the time of the previous comment :lol:. I should have said a bias-less review to the best of my abilities.... honestly, I didnt give Hyperdimension Neptunia a good score because honestly, it was an average game at best for example.

Vampko is right, you can only do your best in reviewing... the only way to get a 100% unbiased review is to have a gamer who has never played a game in his/her life review it.... and come on.... that will never happen.... not playing a game before adulthood is CRIMINAL
The Otaku's Study
http://www.otakustudy.com

AlexMason
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby AlexMason » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 am

^ Fair enough.

What I find is that reviews should be, and often are, written based on the site's target audience. I'm not suggesting that a site pander to these people, but just consider who their average reader is. For RPGFan and RPGamer, that's someone who loves RPGs in general and are certainly no newcomer to the genre in the least. Other sites like Gaming Nexus and DieHardGameFan, their traffic is more likely just fans of games in general and not just a fan of this genre or that genre. And then there's the big sites (IGN, etc.) - who probably get most of their hits from more casual gamers and fans of more mainstream titles. Like the FPS crowd. I like FPSes but I still don't bother with their reviews - they're terrible no matter the genre. I've seen both an abominable Dead Space 2 review which convinced me that NO ONE edits their stuff whatsoever, and an Atelier Rorona review that was two paragraphs at best said fuck-all about the game itself.

I still say that RPGFan's was an honest review, and I don't have (most of the) problems with it like you guys do (I see no reason to claim she hasn't beaten the other two games when she says she has - twice). Obviously most of you didn't like it, (and I will agree that DHGF was more indepth) but think of it this way - it could be far, far worse. Like an IGN review...

zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby zatrox » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Another two, rather possitive reviews this time around.

So far, reviews seem to agree in the following points:

Gameplay lacks depth. Some argument it's fun, nonetheless, while others have questioned the repetitive, slow feel of it.

Story seems to be a common praise. Characters are also praised in certain reviews. Not exactly mentioned in critics, but it seems like the localization is solid, at least text-wise. Minor bugs reported, but nothing too big has been seen. Some have pointed out that the game's humor falls flat in certain stances, as well.

Graphics aren't exactly stellar, but we all know that.

Backtracking.

Some have loved it, some haven't liked it. Quite the "love it or hate it" game, at the end, it seems.

My outlook of "if you liked the first two you'll like this" hasn't changed, as many reviews have:

A) Pointed out flaws that were also present in other games.

Or B) Have come to the same conclusion I have.
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

Lurker of Forums
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Lurker of Forums » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 am

I'm a week late, but why do people have problems with the reviews? Most are pretty fair from what I've seen. I like Ar Tonelico but I'm not giving it more credit than it is due.

The explosion of drama over a video game is absurd.

Sawa
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sawa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Lurker of Forums wrote:I'm a week late, but why do people have problems with the reviews? Most are pretty fair from what I've seen. I like Ar Tonelico but I'm not giving it more credit than it is due.

The explosion of drama over a video game is absurd.

To each there own Lurker of Forums :lol: .
Patiently waiting~

Nirvana
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Nirvana » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Here's Gamepro Magazine's review of A.T.G.: Rather surprising from a liberal gaming magazine... :o
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/218515/ar-tonelico-qoga-knell-of-ar-ciel/

And I've read that Official Playstation Magazine gave the game a 4/10...(No surprise there...) and Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) gave it a 3...
PSN ID: ParadigmDREAD

Return to “Ar tonelico Qoga”