So is volume 2 better than volume 1?

Official Katanagatari discussion forum.

So is volume 2 better than volume 1?

Postby kenshin-dono » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 am

I love this show but hate NISA's release of it. Other than how tiny the subs are, and the fact that theyre not removable, they were just done and translated poorly. There was no consistancy in them going liberal or literal, it was just all over the place. I.E. not translating any of the sword names but calling Princess Hitei 'Lady Denial.' But the biggest problem was just the typos and errors in it. Fantastic lines like "I don't recall granting you to do such a thing!" There were tons of them, i felt like i was watching a Chinese bootleg. You can see my review over on Amazon if you want to see all the problems i had.

Im not sure if it was just the QC guy or what, because i checked, and the translator was the same as other works that were decent (Working!), the only guy that was different was the QC. For Katanagatari it was some guy named Nick Doerr and for working it was Steven Carlton.

I just want to know: is volume 2 better? Or is the translation still all screwy? I wasn't gonna even bother buying it but damnit I love hte series and already have volume 1. I kinda want V2 with the art cards
kenshin-dono
Vassal
Vassal

Re: So is volume 2 better than volume 1?

Postby MizuMikomi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

kenshin-dono wrote:There was no consistancy in them going liberal or literal, it was just all over the place. I.E. not translating any of the sword names but calling Princess Hitei 'Lady Denial.'

But the biggest problem was just the typos and errors in it. Fantastic lines like "I don't recall granting you to do such a thing!"

There were tons of them, i felt like i was watching a Chinese bootleg. You can see my review over on Amazon if you want to see all the problems i had.

I don't know why you would compare Hime Hitei being 'Lady Denial' to translating the names of these swords. I haven't seen the anime, but after reading these names, if you wanted a literal translation, it would be rather boring.

Absolute Sword? Slash Sword? Poison Sword?
Asking why they didn't use a literal translation is unnecessary, as it should be obvious why, since those names would be boring in comparison to the Japanese names.

Aaaand, I don't really see anything wrong with that line:
granting: Agree to give or allow (something requested) to.

Nothing wrong with using "Granting" in place of "Allowing" since it's pretty much the same thing.

Also, calling out a company employee is a bit unnerving. You've never met the person, but yet it's almost like you have a personal grudge against them... that's REALLY messed up imo.
Eyeshield wrote:Pore, he is MIZUMikomi. Mizu is water. Water is formless, constantly changing shape, adapting to the surroundings... To succeed in life, one must be formless, like water... :ugeek:
MizuMikomi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I agree with Mizu.

Also, it would be nice if you could give us a screenshot of the typos you mentioned, please. :~
PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby formerroadie » Sat May 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Loved both volumes. The subs were too small on the BD's, but they've fixed that on later releases, so I'm happy.
formerroadie
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Return to Katanagatari