Here Lies Star Wars: R.I.P.

Got any off topic, random nonsense you wanna talk about? Do it here!
BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Here Lies Star Wars: R.I.P.

Postby BDSMKane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 am

I am a Star Wars fan. You can click on my profile and double check if you don't believe me, I listed it first for a reason. It is my longest standing fan-love, tied with Final Fantasy, going back to my earliest memories. I got into the EU(Expanded Universe) through the novels, and own them all, and have supported Star Wars for almost all of my life.

Even when I was old enough to realize that muppets didn't belong in the film, that their ability to defeat trained professionals was asinine, and that it was just a marketing attempt; I still liked SW. Even when the first movie in my life time was released, and it had one of the worst film characters of all time, as well as cheesy child antics in the middle of a full-fledged battle; I still liked SW. Even when they edited the first trilogy to alter some key character developement and add nothing significant; I will liked SW. Even when the second movie in my life time employeed the person who is quite likely the worst actor to star in any of the top three highest grossing film series of all-time; I still liked SW. Even when the war that shaped the future of the entire SW universe became detailed in a children's animated movie and then TV show; I still liked SW.

However, I just found out that Lucasfilm, as well as the entire Star Wars franchise, has been bought out. It was purchased by a corporation that I consider to be one of, if not the most, corrupt media groups in the world. It was bought out by Disney.

I know coming onto these boards and posting this is unlikely to result in a lot of sympathy or support. I doubt there are that many people here who care about SW. I also doubt that there are many people here who dislike Disney. Their collaboration with SE for the Kingdom Hearts series on top of their involvement in some really good movies(yes I will admit they are good) has probably endeared most people here to them as a company. That is fine though, I just really needed to rant -somewhere-, and at this time of morning there weren't a lot of options.

If there does happen to be another person who isn't happy to hear about this though, I will join you in misery. I'm sure there will also be some people who want to try and look at the bright side, or people who even think this is a good idea, and they are welcome to post as well.
BDSMKane wrote:A defective product was released by NIS America on March 25, 2014.....and any support for that product is(by all appearances) non-existent. That's the core issue, and it reeks of poor business ethics.

thrembo
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Here Lies Star Wars: R.I.P.

Postby thrembo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:37 am

I'm on the fence. They said that they will be making more SW movies, Lucas had said that he was done with making the movies. So basicly, it will be a good thing, and Star Wars will survive for generations too come. Or Disney will drive the beloved franchise into the toilet and destroy it. I am hoping for SW continued success and Disney to do right by it.

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 am

thrembo wrote:I'm on the fence. They said that they will be making more SW movies, Lucas had said that he was done with making the movies. So basicly, it will be a good thing, and Star Wars will survive for generations too come. Or Disney will drive the beloved franchise into the toilet and destroy it. I am hoping for SW continued success and Disney to do right by it.

There is the potential for Disney to actually do well, and I know I have HATED Lucas in recent times for how horribly I think he is handling the franchise. New movies might be good, or they might be awful. I sometimes truly wish the prequels were never released.

All in all, I think my biggest fear right now is how Disney is going to handle the EU. There has been some speculation that since Episode VII is not going to involve any canon from the existing EU, which basically dominates the post-RoTJ universe, that all prior canon will be thrown into the realm of non-canon or "alternate reality". To think that hundreds of controlled and officially licensed stories could become fan-fiction over night is honestly depressing.
BDSMKane wrote:A defective product was released by NIS America on March 25, 2014.....and any support for that product is(by all appearances) non-existent. That's the core issue, and it reeks of poor business ethics.

ShadowStormu
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ShadowStormu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 am

I always have a mini heart-attack when Disney does stuff like this. I wish you the best of Luke.harrharr I made a funny
Spoiler:

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 am

I'm indifferent about it.

The prequels did suck and I don't know how they could make it worse.
I think they should just go back to its roots (it's style of writing and directing)

Nepdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Nepdood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:51 am

I'm a big Star Wars fan too and at first, I was shock. But I read a article about it and we can compare Marvel's movies before and after Disney bought them. Marvel's movies were ok, then Disney bought them and then BOOM, the Avengers.
So, I'll just wait on "Episode 7" then decide on Star Wars fate myself.

3DS, XBL, PSN, Steam: Mekgolo
Try out my game: Super Space Armada

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:I'm indifferent about it.

The prequels did suck and I don't know how they could make it worse.
I think they should just go back to its roots (it's style of writing and directing)

That would be great, but I have my doubts that it would happen.

Nepdood wrote:I'm a big Star Wars fan too and at first, I was shock. But I read a article about it and we can compare Marvel's movies before and after Disney bought them. Marvel's movies were ok, then Disney bought them and then BOOM, the Avengers.
So, I'll just wait on "Episode 7" then decide on Star Wars fate myself.

I'm sure they will make a movie that is entertaining and well done, it just may not be Star Wars in anything but name. A lot of the Marvel fans have had issues with continuity of the films and the Marvel Universe, and I don't believe The Avengers is an exception to that. There is just a humongous timeline that has been established for SW, and a whole universe that has been described as canon, and I don't want to see Disney come in with a wrecking ball and demolish it.

Empty Overture
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Empty Overture » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 pm

This is all nothing more than assumptions and jumping the gun. Wait until there's actually more information.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 pm

I stopped caring about Star Wars a long time ago.

I just except the shit that comes and mock it endlessly like everyone else.

A part of me wants it to keep sucking forever so we always have new stuff to make fun of.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:I stopped caring about Star Wars a long time ago.

I just except the shit that comes and mock it endlessly like everyone else.

A part of me wants it to keep sucking forever so we always have new stuff to make fun of.

Spoiler:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Honestly, I make fun of the movies, cartoon, and Lucas-ification quite often myself. I'm just worried about the EU canon and books mostly, Disney didn't even mention them in the press conference.

Zaneandthebeard
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Zaneandthebeard » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 pm

All I know to do is sit back and hope all goes well =/

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm

SaturnineTenshi wrote:As someone who never liked Star Wars, I can still sympathize with the fans. Disney is, and always has been, utter garbage. I hope it doesn't ruin your beloved franchise. :(

Thanks, I was actually hoping to see what you thought. I remember you saying in one of the other threads how you were avoiding KH for the same reason I was; Disney.

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby XCronoX » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:37 pm

I don't think Disney can ruin Star Wars any worse than George Lucas already has.

Zaku-prinny
Majin
Majin

Postby Zaku-prinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 pm

While this may seem blasphemous to people who want Star Wars to fade into memory, I hope the newest one is based in the Legacy era about 130 or so years after the end of the first movie based off the Dark Horse comics.

Unlike the prequels, to me this offers a new look in the galaxy far, far away. We have a Galactic Alliance that is governing most of the galaxy, the Empire survived and became the Fel Empire that has a peace treaty with said Alliance, and the Jedi Order is populated and there are plenty of Jedi out in the galaxy. Suddenly, the Sith return, but not in a way that draws attention. Sabotaging a terraforming project by the Vong, they influence the Fel Empire that the Alliance could not stop the Vong from wrecking the planet and they no longer worthy to maintain order in the galaxy, and both sides go to war against each other, just like the first trilogy. Of course the Jedi go to help the Alliance being forces for good and all of that. However, the Jedi are nearly wiped out again, like the prequels, but instead of being shot by their own troops, they are bombarded from orbit by Star Destroyers. And that's just the first comic.

I think this could be the fresh air Star Wars needs. It could host a new cast that is unburdened by the cast of the old movies (Luke, Vader, and Mara Jade pop up every now and then as Force ghosts, and R2's still around). The scale of the conflict is more akin to KOTOR of the Sith becoming major threats to the galaxy and committing horrific crimes such an attempted genocide of the Calamari and the Jedi are barely alive. There are even Force users who serve the Fel Emperor who do not follow the Jedi code, but they do not fall to the dark side either. The current Skywalker, Cade, abandons his Jedi roots for a long time and is more like Luke and Han in being both an adventurer and a smuggler. Even the Fel Empire (after it takes over the galaxy and the Alliance forces are on the run) is split in two later on when the Sith usurp power and rule over the galaxy as a Sith Empire. I believe the Legacy era captures the best of both trilogies (plus, no annoying Gungans around!).

Even of this does not happen, this is just what I think the next Star Wars movie should be. Either way, I welcome a new Star Wars movie that continues the series I loved as a kid.

But to all this speculation of "I hope the next one is bad so we can mock it" and "mai favorit moviees r ru1ned!!11!11! (insert profanity against Disney here)", I agree to what EO said.
Empty Overture wrote:This is all nothing more than assumptions and jumping the gun. Wait until there's actually more information.

It's like saying "Female Person A is really attracted (to the point of romance) to Female Person B because A is being pushy to B who's a tsundere or A is a tsundere, but B really wants to be friends with her, so they hang out." by just seeing a picture of A grabbing B in a fanservicey way. Without more information from the creators, to me, it does not exist. It's just assumptions and speculation.

Finally, all of this fear of "the rape of Star Wars"? Didn't the holiday special took that spot? If George said that Jar Jar was ok and the mediocre love life of Anakin was ok but the Star Wars Holiday Special was his personal failure, then that Holiday Special is the worst. And it came out two years before Empire, supposedly the best of the Star Wars films.

I apologize for the rant. This is just a touchy subject that I couldn't ignore forever.

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:33 pm

XCronoX wrote:I don't think Disney can ruin Star Wars any worse than George Lucas already has.

You might have a good point there.

To Zaku-prinny, I wouldn't mind the idea of the Legacy era being done in the movies, I have read up on it even if I never got into the comics. Supposedly E! has heard from an inside source that Lucas already confirmed the story in the next trilogy would be an original story and have nothing to do with the EU though. Now, obviously that source is not Lucas or Disney themselves, but I really don't think it is very far-fetched.

I know that even without that "a source tells us" information, I would still bet on a sequel trilogy having nothing to do with the EU, because that is just the way Lucas has always been. I honestly kind of think that his inability to actually write anything but a screenplay as well as creative pride stop him from wanting to create a movie based on a story by someone else, but that is just a theory.

Return to “Random Chat”