Official Mugen Souls Reviews Thread

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Official Mugen Souls Reviews Thread

Postby Darcnova » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Mugen Souls is another title from developer Compile Heart for the PlayStation 3. Like their previous efforts in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, Mugen Souls tries to hook you in with a unique Japanese humor and a grind-a-thon. However, like the two aforementioned titles, this RPG has a lot of good ideas that never fully gel together.

That's similar to what Zeek said, though even he didn't give it the equivalent of a 50% >.>

SgtMettool
Vassal
Vassal

Postby SgtMettool » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Gamespot: 4/10

http://www.gamespot.com/mugen-souls/rev ... w-6398611/

Man, I don't think I've ever seen such a score fluctuation as I've seen with Mugen Souls.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Is it just me, or is there a review trend of sites that focus on the PS3 as a whole rating the game low... and sites that focus on RPG's rating it really high?
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

SgtMettool
Vassal
Vassal

Postby SgtMettool » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Rednal wrote:Is it just me, or is there a review trend of sites that focus on the PS3 as a whole rating the game low... and sites that focus on RPG's rating it really high?

I don't think it's just you. And it's somewhat strange that PS3-focused sites are rating it so low, considering that exclusive RPGs are ultimately what separates the PS3 from the Xbox.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 pm

It's also the case (as one reviewer pointed out) that the stand-out best games in some genres tend to be rated only as good as the dime-a-dozen dregs of other genres. If that. ^^; I mean, the ratings don't matter to me other than as intellectual curiosity (I only care about how much I, personally, enjoy the game), but you're right in that it's kind of strange.

Especially after growing up thinking that the PS2 was the "RPG" console, with a heck of a lot more of them (and usually better ones) than the Gamecube or the Xbox. o.O Yet the PS3 comes out and suddenly RPG's suck, and only games with huge budgets (mostly Western) can get good reviews from sites supposedly focused on the entire console...? I understand that not everybody likes every genre, and some types of games sell more than others, but... there just seems to be a lot of genre bias in some supposedly broad places. ^^; Putting it another way, wouldn't places like that be more likely to attract followers of niche things (people who tend to be quite loyal to places and companies they like, I believe) if they were at least reasonably fair? It sorta seems like they're trying to shove us away, at times, so they can enjoy their games without having to think of others liking different things... or... something...? Heck if I know. XD;

SgtMettool
Vassal
Vassal

Postby SgtMettool » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm sure this isn't the first time that someone has made this claim, but I'm in that school of thought that believes big-budget, western games skewed our idea of what constitutes a "good" game. Our standards and expectations of gaming have grown so exponentially this generation that it's not uncommon for anything less than a multi-million dollar blockbuster to be considered garbage. This is especially problematic in gaming journalism because Japanese developers generally don't pour as much money into game development as western devs do and, as such, many Japanese games have very different levels of production values than western ones.

It's also a matter of cultural taste: Western games are catered towards western gamers first and foremost. And because those developers are catering towards our wants and needs, those games generally tend to score higher in reviews because of the cultural relevance. Whereas Japanese games are catered for Japan first and us second, and tend to score lower because of that disconnection. What some reviewers tend to forget is that we are the secondary market.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 pm

My idea of a good game is "a game I enjoy". As simple as that. Many of the "good" Western games are ones I have little or no interest in; I'm not really that big on online gaming, for example, and I only plug my PS3 into the internet to get stuff from the PSN. *Sighs and shakes head* Still, a little less... how should I put this... self-centeredness on the part of some Western gamers wouldn't be so bad. At least to the point of recognizing that gamers have different interests, what's fun for one person isn't necessarily fun for someone else, and that things aren't inherently bad simply because they're different.

Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:55 am

I think the problem is that hardly any other area than games make it so tough to be objective in reviews. Aside of some few aspects like game is totally unplayable and constantly crashes it is tough to create a 'fair' reviews. Alone for example Cellshadeing some people really like it and others not.

In the end it is about if you like something even a 5 can be a perfect 10 and when you dislkike something even a perfect 10 can be a 1/10 for someone personally.

Only kind of reviews I normally consider are normally pages with that I share similar taste. But even that not always works out considering 1/5 from rpgamer.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 pm

A couple reviews said it wasn't funny. I'm not far in the game but so far this is probably the funniest game I have ever played and I been playing games before PS1 was out. I guess people don't like moe comedy like me...

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:58 pm

People have different ideas about what's funny. Me? NISA does a lot of funny games, but this is easily one of the funniest they've released in recent memory. XD I do understand how some people may not get all the jokes, but... I've enjoyed the story basically nonstop.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Rednal wrote:People have different ideas about what's funny. Me? NISA does a lot of funny games, but this is easily one of the funniest they've released in recent memory. XD I do understand how some people may not get all the jokes, but... I've enjoyed the story basically nonstop.

Well if you have ever played Zelda and didn't laugh at that one part then they must not be getting the jokes lol

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Every Compile Heart review thread boils down to: "Why don't reviewers get our games?" :geek:

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Beedlebud wrote:Every Compile Heart review thread boils down to: "Why don't reviewers get our games?" :geek:

More like "It's love or hate" looking at the current reviews being either high, or freakishly low :lol:

Selphares
Majin
Majin

Postby Selphares » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am

Darcnova wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:Every Compile Heart review thread boils down to: "Why don't reviewers get our games?" :geek:

More like "It's love or hate" looking at the current reviews being either high, or freakishly low :lol:

Sort of sums itw ell up. Which makes many Reviews in that case quite useless. :D

Magidracky
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Magidracky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm

With console role-playing games becoming increasingly scarce, enthusiasts will likely look past Mugen Souls’ missteps, mollified by a copious quantity of fan-service. With an engaging (though still needlessly complex) array of gameplay components, the title represents a small step forward for Compile Heart. Yet for most players, the developer’s succinct stride won’t be substantial enough- resulting in a competent experience undermined by a few irksome design decisions.

http://www.tech-gaming.com/?p=6747

I think this might be the first review I've read that mentions the fanservice, but doesn't use the words "underage" or "creepy".

Return to “Mugen Souls”