Mugen Souls veterans, how accurate is this?

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
Kazushime
New Vassal
New Vassal

Mugen Souls veterans, how accurate is this?

Postby Kazushime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 am

So I was interested in Mugen Souls for a while, but upon reading this review it kind of made me uninterested- and no I'm not one of those people who only solely depend on reviews- but man they made it seem pretttttty crappy and I think it looks great from what I've seen online. I'll probably still try it eventually, but I'm very curious...how accurate is this review?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/mugen-souls-review

Is Mugen Souls really only deserving of a 3.9/10 for having poorly executed core gameplay, sub-par visuals, and forgettable story, amongst having an unforgivable framerate, shoddy visuals, groan-inducing writing and humor, poorly designed RPG systems???

To those who are veterans of the game (played a good amount/beat it/etc...) what are your thoughts about the game?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Mugen Souls veterans, how accurate is this?

Postby Rednal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:58 am

*Snrk*

That's IGN. They seem to have this thing against JRPG's (as in, they're incredibly biased against them), and their review is -significantly- below the average rating. I wouldn't consider them to be a very reliable source if I were you. It's true, the game does have its flaws... but so does every other game. Mugen Souls is a game that seems kind of shallow until later on, when you realize just how impressively complex it actually is.

We collected a bunch of reviews here, too, if you'd like to get some more opinions on the subject.

To deal with in order... let's see... poor core gameplay? I'd disagree. Sub-par visuals? By what standard, multimillion-dollar-budget Western AAA titles? Games bounce all over the spectrum, and heck, people still make 8-bit games. Huge graphics upgrades are kind of expensive, and the visuals work just fine. Forgettable story? Maybe for them, but I happened to like what Chou-Chou does. It's certainly a change from most RPGs.

The framerate... could be better at times, as could the loading times. That's mainly visible out on the fields, which is actually a pretty small part of the game if you're playing seriously... shoddy visuals? Didn't we already cover that? Yeah, let's complain about it twice! *Cough* The humor's great, in-line with lots of NISA's other stuff.

And the RPG system... Well, I think it's natural they'd dislike it, because I really doubt they ever took the time to even attempt to understand it. The game manages to collect an incredible number of battle systems into one complete whole; you'll probably forget about most of what you can do as long as you're playing through the main story, but if you seriously grind for the post-game, then you'll start learning how to take advantage of everything it's got. Mugen Souls -easily- has one of the most complex battle systems I've ever seen, and each part has its own uses in making your party utterly overwhelming in strength.

Bottom line... if you liked Neptunia or Disgaea, you'll almost certainly like Mugen Souls.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

OverlordG
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby OverlordG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 am

There's a reason I stopped trusting sites like IGN, Gamespot, G4 and other mainstream gaming and entertainment sites because their reviews feel so tacky and rushed that I do not take their opinions seriously anymore.

Really, watching videos and asking people who have legitimately played the game from top to bottom is the way to go when you feel unsure about a certain game. Also, make sure the people you ask are either trustworthy or CARE about what they're saying.

The main reason I haven't picked MS yet is because I lost interest in picking it up due to my personal beef with online shopping. It has nothing to do with the game itself.
Blog: http://yurination.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @YuriAmbassador

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 pm

IGN a moe hater. They only like violence. :p

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Personally, I've actually found the game to be pretty funny so far (though I'm only gotten the Sun World peoned), and I didn't find the first two Neptunia games very funny (haven't played V in English), so that has to count for something. I do have to get back to it, though, because I haven't played it for a while. That said, I can't say anything on the gameplay seeing as how I have some super-strong DLC (which is free, btw. What the fuck, CH/NISA?). Well, actually, I can say that the fact that the Peon Ball Explosion thing or whatever that thing's called that kills your entire party is complete bullshit and a horrendous design choice.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:27 pm

You only think it's super strong now; you haven't seen the real post-game stuff yet, where you NEED insanely overpowered items. XD

As for the Peon Ball... try putting Chou-Chou in slot four. o wo b

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Rednal wrote:You only think it's super strong now; you haven't seen the real post-game stuff yet, where you NEED insanely overpowered items. XD

As for the Peon Ball... try putting Chou-Chou in slot four. o wo b

I think that upgrading the weapons just brings them to stupid-powerful levels. In fact,...

CelticRedemption wrote:For reference, the Super Galaxy Cutter costs about 2000-ish G Up to get to S Rank, and about 500-600 million Gold to get to level 999.

But then you do end up with a sword with more than 10 million ATK

And of course, I bought the currency packs, so as soon as I unlock the ability to upgrade weapons (or otherwise figure out how to do so), I'll be upgrading my weapons to the max.

Also, either way, adding what is essentially a suicide bomb function that goes off whenever it feels like it is still a horrendous design choice, regardless of whether it can be nulled.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Rednal wrote:*Snrk*

That's IGN. They seem to have this thing against JRPG's

They aren't really biased against JRPG's as they are biased against moe. A lot of recent JRPGs (Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ni No Kuni) have all gotten pretty high scores from them.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Pokemon has a massive, well-established fanbase that would heap huge hate on anyone who knocked it too much. Fire Emblem has dark plots, character death, and generally Western settings. Ni no Kuni had Studio Ghibli, one of the only animation companies that really gets respect. They are exceptions. = w= Most Japanese series aren't treated nearly so nicely.

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Rednal wrote:Pokemon has a massive, well-established fanbase that would heap huge hate on anyone who knocked it too much. Fire Emblem has dark plots, character death, and generally Western settings. Ni no Kuni had Studio Ghibli, one of the only animation companies that really gets respect. They are exceptions. = w= Most Japanese series aren't treated nearly so nicely.

Well, from IGN, Disgaea 1 got a 9.2, both Disgaea 2 and Disgaea 4 got an 8.5, and Disgaea 3 got a 6.7.

Now, Disgaea isn't really moe from what I can tell, but it does have a distinct anime art-style, and of course, it's a JRPG, so I wouldn't say that there's a complete bias against JRPGs.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Rednal wrote:Pokemon has a massive, well-established fanbase that would heap huge hate on anyone who knocked it too much. Fire Emblem has dark plots, character death, and generally Western settings. Ni no Kuni had Studio Ghibli, one of the only animation companies that really gets respect. They are exceptions. = w= Most Japanese series aren't treated nearly so nicely.

These all sound like excuses rather than actual counterpoints. A fanbase? Really? Gamespot has rated Pokemon average time and time again, and there hasn't been an uproar about it. Fire Emblem just so happens to be really good. And I really don't think IGN cares as much about Studio Ghilbli as you think they do.

Soul Hackers also got a 7.8, but it's Atlus so they were bound to give it a good score right?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:07 pm

They are excuses. That's my point. o wo

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Rednal wrote:They are excuses. That's my point. o wo

That's not a very good point.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 pm

There are reasons to not rate them too lowly. A few exceptions, however, do not go against their obvious overall bias; a site that consistently rates games in a particular genre below the average of reviews can be reasonably assumed to have a bias or simply different standards. Either way, it marks them as a place that isn't a particularly good source of information; no one review is really all that good, but like with opinion surveys, a great many reviews can give a much better sense of collective feelings on where something's at that a few abnormally high or abnormally low reviews don't affect too much.

^^

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Rednal wrote:There are reasons to not rate them too lowly.

You have yet to give me any good reasons why they wouldn't rate them too lowly.

Return to “Mugen Souls”