Which should I get?

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
User avatar
ZeroPain707
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: USA

Which should I get?

Postby ZeroPain707 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Okay I just finished Disgaea 4, and I really loved the quirky humor and the art style of the characters. And so I decided I want to get into another game by NISA, I've been thinking of getting either Mugen Souls or Hyperdimension Neptunia. And I wanted to know which do you guys think is a better choice, since I heard that these they're really similar gameplay-wise? Also I would like to clarify I am fully intending to buy all the games in the series eventually so I'm leaning towards Neptunia, but I also heard Mugen Souls is getting a sequel soon.
Image

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: Which should I get?

Postby Rednal » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Mugen Souls has a -much- denser battle system. It's sort of a fusion between Disgaea and Neptunia, so if you really liked the mechanics and grinding and whatnot of Disgaea, then it's a better choice. Neptunia has a similar humor style, but much less complicated battles and a lot less to do in combat, so if you want to focus on the story instead of the gameplay, it's a better choice.

Or, y'know, get all of them. o wo
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

User avatar
darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2403
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Which should I get?

Postby darkrchaos » Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I never liked HDN story, kinda weird. Unless you like console war comedy. Mugen souls is a lot like Disgaea but with HDN 3D gameplay. HDN is a lot like a searching game. Other then the main story you do quests and try to find certain items or monster to kill. Comedy is pretty much the same for both expect Mugen souls has more "mature" comedy while HDN is more cute random talk comedy.

I'm a big Mugen Souls fan so there obviously more pluses there :P
Mugen Souls
- Lots of character customization
- Long lasting game (Play time for me is 110 hours and still no where close to platinum)
- Create your own characters
- More then one way to win a battle "Moe Kills, Peon Ball"
- Upgrade weapons (Nice if the weapon you like the most is really weak)
- Disgeaes change anything style, if there something you want to change you can for the right amount of Mugen points
Note: It looks like a simple game but it actually pretty complex

HDN
- Hunt and search for items (Can get annoying for some people)
- Better fighting style, you get click more then just "X"
- Custom Skins for HDD mode

User avatar
ZeroPain707
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Which should I get?

Postby ZeroPain707 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am

darkrchaos wrote:I never liked HDN story, kinda weird. Unless you like console war comedy. Mugen souls is a lot like Disgaea but with HDN 3D gameplay. HDN is a lot like a searching game. Other then the main story you do quests and try to find certain items or monster to kill. Comedy is pretty much the same for both expect Mugen souls has more "mature" comedy while HDN is more cute random talk comedy.

I'm a big Mugen Souls fan so there obviously more pluses there :P
Mugen Souls
- Lots of character customization
- Long lasting game (Play time for me is 110 hours and still no where close to platinum)
- Create your own characters
- More then one way to win a battle "Moe Kills, Peon Ball"
- Upgrade weapons (Nice if the weapon you like the most is really weak)
- Disgeaes change anything style, if there something you want to change you can for the right amount of Mugen points
Note: It looks like a simple game but it actually pretty complex

HDN
- Hunt and search for items (Can get annoying for some people)
- Better fighting style, you get click more then just "X"
- Custom Skins for HDD mode

I heard you can reincarnate in Mugen Souls as well, are you able to do that pretty early on or do you have to unlock it like Disgaea's LoC? And also does Neptunia have any player influence in how the characters develop gameplay-wise? For example: Picking which skills to learn, or which skills to enhance(costs more points to use, but does more damage).
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Which should I get?

Postby vampko » Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 am

ZeroPain707 wrote:And also does Neptunia have any player influence in how the characters develop gameplay-wise? For example: Picking which skills to learn, or which skills to enhance(costs more points to use, but does more damage).

Zero

Its only connection to Disgaea is that it's an RPG.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: Which should I get?

Postby Rednal » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

You can pick which skills to equip, sometimes, but... Neptunia's quite linear in terms of development. Mugen Souls has waaaaaaaaaaaay more customization options.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

User avatar
darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2403
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Which should I get?

Postby darkrchaos » Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 pm

ZeroPain707 wrote:
darkrchaos wrote:I never liked HDN story, kinda weird. Unless you like console war comedy. Mugen souls is a lot like Disgaea but with HDN 3D gameplay. HDN is a lot like a searching game. Other then the main story you do quests and try to find certain items or monster to kill. Comedy is pretty much the same for both expect Mugen souls has more "mature" comedy while HDN is more cute random talk comedy.

I'm a big Mugen Souls fan so there obviously more pluses there :P
Mugen Souls
- Lots of character customization
- Long lasting game (Play time for me is 110 hours and still no where close to platinum)
- Create your own characters
- More then one way to win a battle "Moe Kills, Peon Ball"
- Upgrade weapons (Nice if the weapon you like the most is really weak)
- Disgeaes change anything style, if there something you want to change you can for the right amount of Mugen points
Note: It looks like a simple game but it actually pretty complex

HDN
- Hunt and search for items (Can get annoying for some people)
- Better fighting style, you get click more then just "X"
- Custom Skins for HDD mode

I heard you can reincarnate in Mugen Souls as well, are you able to do that pretty early on or do you have to unlock it like Disgaea's LoC? And also does Neptunia have any player influence in how the characters develop gameplay-wise? For example: Picking which skills to learn, or which skills to enhance(costs more points to use, but does more damage).


There reincarnation is called Peon Fusion and it an amazing way to power up your characters, It not about levels in this games, it about stats. You can do it anytime and requires 2 characters. Pretty much the one characters sucks all the power out of the other one. And they both restart at LVL1 except one is super powerful LVL 1

User avatar
chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke
Posts: 3093
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am
Location: G-Castle and 魔界

Re: Which should I get?

Postby chouchou's peon » Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 pm

There are no spoilers, it's just information about these games that "might" be wrong since I'm a newbie.

Spoiler:
I saw this question on the Neptunia thread. I own all games from the Neptune (all platinumed) and Mugen Souls (started 3 weeks ago) series. There's a download version of Mugen Souls on the PSN store and it's pretty cheap, only $39.99 with no tax or you can get the limited edition which comes with miniature character figurines straight from Japan, music cd and artbook.


Spoiler:
By the way, Mugen Souls music is composed by Tenpei Sato, the composer of the Disgaea series so it might be interesting to take a listen to Mugen Souls music on Garuda Flak's Youtube channel or something if you are a fan of Disagea's music. Harada Takehito, the character designer of newer Disgaea games designed an NPC called Selfina. The game uses a character creation system based off "@games" designs and that's why G-Crest was credited and Idea Factory named the ship after them?

http://www.atgames.jp/atgames/top.do to see what that is.


Always stick with your gut and you're leaning toward Neptunia so I would say try it first. I will give you a warning though, Idea Factory is not a company known for high budget products like Nippon Ichi Software but Mugen Souls is an exception.

I'm personally happy I got both because they are both pretty similar in terms of beautiful artwork and comical story but Mugen Souls definitely deserves credit for the amount of effort put into making the game, it's the most fun Idea Factory game in terms of gameplay.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Image
Image
Sig by Teddie Sage
Image

User avatar
ZeroPain707
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Which should I get?

Postby ZeroPain707 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:35 pm

chouchou's peon wrote:There are no spoilers, it's just information about these games that "might" be wrong since I'm a newbie.

Spoiler:
I saw this question on the Neptunia thread. I own all games from the Neptune (all platinumed) and Mugen Souls (started 3 weeks ago) series. There's a download version of Mugen Souls on the PSN store and it's pretty cheap, only $39.99 with no tax or you can get the limited edition which comes with miniature character figurines straight from Japan, music cd and artbook.


Spoiler:
By the way, Mugen Souls music is composed by Tenpei Sato, the composer of the Disgaea series so it might be interesting to take a listen to Mugen Souls music on Garuda Flak's Youtube channel or something if you are a fan of Disagea's music. Harada Takehito, the character designer of newer Disgaea games designed an NPC called Selfina. The game uses a character creation system based off "@games" designs and that's why G-Crest was credited and Idea Factory named the ship after them?

http://www.atgames.jp/atgames/top.do to see what that is.


Always stick with your gut and you're leaning toward Neptunia so I would say try it first. I will give you a warning though, Idea Factory is not a company known for high budget products like Nippon Ichi Software but Mugen Souls is an exception.

I'm personally happy I got both because they are both pretty similar in terms of beautiful artwork and comical story but Mugen Souls definitely deserves credit for the amount of effort put into making the game, it's the most fun Idea Factory game in terms of gameplay.
Thank you for your help, I will be getting Mugen Souls first since it seems to be my kind of game: with the Disgaea like character designs, more complex gameplay, and high amounts of customization. Also it is $28 on Amazon right now which kinda helps. Though I also fully intend on getting into the HDN series someday since I found it's plot funny and interesting, but it is currently on the back burner and is near the top of my "must buy" list.Thank you all for helping me make this decision.
Image

User avatar
chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke
Posts: 3093
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am
Location: G-Castle and 魔界

Re: Which should I get?

Postby chouchou's peon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:28 pm

You're welcome, the theme of Mugen Souls is "overwhelming", the JP equivalent would be 圧倒的 (attou-teki) and it will get really comical. Less than $30 on Amazon is quite cheap, the game's only been out for 7 months.

Here's another tie to Disgaea I forgot to mention I, there is a main character in Mugen Souls designed by someone from NIS called Marina. If you are familiar with the origin of Nippon Ichi, this artist designed characters for them in the Playstation days. Heard of Rhapsody a Musical Adventure?

I made a statement earlier that Idea Factory is not a game company that makes mainstream games suited for the average westerner except for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory and their new series called Galapos. Many western game reviews have criticized Mugen Souls and it has even become a meme in Japan on how westerners think of Japanese games. Donna Handan da (who authorized this decision) !? Kane wo dobu suteru ki ka? (do you have money to burn?)
Spoiler:
to understand these statements, you'll have to watch Mugen Souls Z promotional videos of Keiji Shooting Star Inafune
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Image
Image
Sig by Teddie Sage
Image

User avatar
chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke
Posts: 3093
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am
Location: G-Castle and 魔界

Re: Which should I get?

Postby chouchou's peon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm

vampko wrote: Its only connection to Disgaea is that it's an RPG.


Didn't Idea Factory get some help from NIS, Gust and 5pb when making HDN, I know they got really good ties with NIS and Gust during the making of the Cross Edge and Trinity Universe so maybe that's why it was localized by NIS.
Spoiler:
One of the funniest characters in the HDN series is actually NISA and she uses a Prinny gun.


I also had a really enjoyable experience playing mk2 and Victory. Mk2 is the "true" first game of the HDN series and has badass music such the
Spoiler:
lowee sister battles
and the one vs
Spoiler:
Killachine, CPU Breaker, Fake Green Heart and Fake Purple Heart with Purple Sister battle
, HDN1 has no ties to HDN Victory which is a good thing in my opinion. I actually suggest playing HDN mk2, then Victory, then the original one.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Image
Image
Sig by Teddie Sage
Image

User avatar
ZeroPain707
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Which should I get?

Postby ZeroPain707 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 pm

chouchou's peon wrote:You're welcome, the theme of Mugen Souls is "overwhelming", the JP equivalent would be 圧倒的 (attou-teki) and it will get really comical. Less than $30 on Amazon is quite cheap, the game's only been out for 7 months.

Here's another tie to Disgaea I forgot to mention I, there is a main character in Mugen Souls designed by someone from NIS called Marina. If you are familiar with the origin of Nippon Ichi, this artist designed characters for them in the Playstation days. Heard of Rhapsody a Musical Adventure?

I made a statement earlier that Idea Factory is not a game company that makes mainstream games suited for the average westerner except for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory and their new series called Galapos. Many western game reviews have criticized Mugen Souls and it has even become a meme in Japan on how westerners think of Japanese games. Donna Handan da (who authorized this decision) !? Kane wo dobu suteru ki ka? (do you have money to burn?)
Spoiler:
to understand these statements, you'll have to watch Mugen Souls Z promotional videos of Keiji Shooting Star Inafune

I heard of Rhapsody a Musical Adventure, the premise was interesting but the game didn't look that great so I never read up on it. Also I saw the promotional videos, and I'm somewhat confused, I know it gives details about the game but besides that I was lost(Mostly because I couldn't understand anything he was saying). Was he supposed to be a stereotype of westeners toward JRPGs?


chouchou's peon wrote:I also had a really enjoyable experience playing mk2 and Victory. Mk2 is the "true" first game of the HDN series and has badass music such the
Spoiler:
lowee sister battles
and the one vs
Spoiler:
Killachine, CPU Breaker, Fake Green Heart and Fake Purple Heart with Purple Sister battle
, HDN1 has no ties to HDN Victory which is a good thing in my opinion. I actually suggest playing HDN mk2, then Victory, then the original one.
Does HDN 1 have any relevance in the canon in the of mk2 and Victory?
Image

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Which should I get?

Postby vampko » Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 pm

ZeroPain707 wrote:Does HDN 1 have any relevance in the canon in the of mk2 and Victory?

zero
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: Which should I get?

Postby Rednal » Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Um...

Spoiler:
Victory's epilogue. Maybe.


But it introduces the characters, their personalities, many of the ideas in the series, and there ARE some jokes and references to it later on, so it's good to play. ^^
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

User avatar
chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke
Posts: 3093
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am
Location: G-Castle and 魔界

Re: Which should I get?

Postby chouchou's peon » Thu May 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Rednal wrote:Um...

Spoiler:
Victory's epilogue. Maybe.


But it introduces the characters, their personalities, many of the ideas in the series, and there ARE some jokes and references to it later on, so it's good to play. ^^

That's true, wasn't Victory's epilogue just a party game the four original goddesses were playing? On the side note, why do they even make the epilogue battle winnable on NG+ and Neptune still says she lost?
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Image
Image
Sig by Teddie Sage
Image


Return to “Mugen Souls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests