Information About Mugen Souls

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
Kaiser Dragon
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Information About Mugen Souls

Postby Kaiser Dragon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 pm

I saw this game on NISA's store.

Can someone please tell me what kind of game it is?

Is it similar to Disgaea?

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Information About Mugen Souls

Postby darkrchaos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 pm

It has Disgaea's long lasting game style but with Hyperdimension Neptunia 3D gameplay. You can level up to 9999 and create your own character. The character creator is truly AMAZING. You can use money to upgrade your armor and weapons. There also lots of different ways to win a fight like Moe kill or Peon ball.

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:53 pm

darkrchaos wrote:It has Disgaea's long lasting game style but with Hyperdimension Neptunia 3D gameplay. You can level up to 9999 and create your own character. The character creator is truly AMAZING. You can use money to upgrade your armor and weapons. There also lots of different ways to win a fight like Moe kill or Peon ball.

Hope you aren't getting mixed up with the character creator in Mugen Souls Z, darkr because I thought the one in Z is advanced compared to the original one where I could only make pettanko on the original game. I could spend hours creating a character on Mugen Souls Z and even giving them custom portraits/ cut ins and use avatar parts from the main cast.
I hope this isn't too long and it answers some of your questions. A good way to find out about the ingame details is to play the game or watch some let's plays of it with commentary explaining how they feel along the way.

What kind of Game is Mugen Souls?
Spoiler:
Describing the Original Mugen Souls is extremely complicated and I consider it to be it's own kind of game:
An Overwhelming RPG.

The average RPG Gamer should not pick this up because it is nothing like the average RPG, it is a novelty game geared towards an extremely niche, non-western, individualized crowd. This game is not for everyone and it has a reputation for being confusing or difficult to comprehend for the average game reviewer because it is nothing like a traditional RPG or anything most western gamers are used to and I would consider Mugen Souls it's own subgenre.

Similar to Disgaea?
Spoiler:
As about being similar to Disgaea, it is only similar to it by looking at it and not playing it.
There are people who don't like like Mugen Souls compare who this game to Disgaea and at the same time, say it feels nothing like it.
There are people who like Mugen Souls also compare it to Disgaea and say it feels nothing like it as well.
My conclusion is that this is not going to feel like Disgaea on the inside (actually playing it), only on the outside (looking and reading about it).

Game Reviews
Spoiler:
Despite what western mainstream game reviewers say, there are a lot more positive reviews of the game except for that they are from niche game reviewers. Several people who enjoy this game and say it is better than most of the things they've played recently; someone even considered it their favorite RPG of 2012.
http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10294

If you look at Japan's thoughts about Mugen Souls, there are less people there openly saying it is a bad game probably because their main Game Review Magazine, Famitsu, says it's a great game unlike a couple big name game reviewers here in the west.

Summary Final Thoughts
Spoiler:
I can talk about this for hours but I hope this isn't too long. It's best to find out about unique games such as Mugen Souls on your own and trust your own feelings. Some people like it and some people don't, but if your wallet is in danger, it tricks your mind to believe negatively about purchasing something that is unknown, has mixed reviews or anything unique in general.

This is not a game where people unanimously agree if it is a good or bad game. There might actually more people who like this game than don't like it except for that they are less vocal about it since there's no need to saying anything when it's good and they will probably be considered lolicons or weaboos by people who don't like Mugen Souls.

I find the original Mugen Souls more fun than any RPG I've played at the time I started it back in late May 2013 but I suggest new players to try out Mugen Souls Z first since it is more balanced in multiple ways and suitable for new players of this unique series. Keyword here is "unique".
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:10 pm

I feel both are amazing. It just Mugen Souls Z is even more amazing then the first one

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Hmm, maybe I thought the character creation in the original Mugen Souls was too simple in comparison to Mugen Souls Z since the peons can barely wear anything from the start and have to get fused many times to wear stuff so I never gave my peons any clothing or accessories.

Mugen Souls Z however, contains more clothes/ accessories that all peons can wear, more avatar parts, give them any portrait picture you want, every peon job having different palettes according to job tier an can give them different chest sizes to anyone; even the male characters giant breasts and have then they magically wear a bra if they aren't pettan that is :)
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I didn't care about chest sizes other then Marina. I also fell that most of cloths are still unwearable unless fusing a ton.

Also something that great about this game is grinding. It fast and easy compared to most games and it flys by fast. Making the game more enjoyable. But For Mugen Souls I feel you need a lot of time on your hands if you want to grind since you get a big % bonus the more your play without quitting.

NeptuniaYuriFan
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby NeptuniaYuriFan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Not sure this is the proper place to post this. How do I unlock more proficiencies? I have enough Mugen Points, but the game won't let me upgrade them.
PSN: YuriFan9999

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 pm

You're probably on the wrong floor of the Mugen Field.

PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

NeptuniaYuriFan
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby NeptuniaYuriFan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Weird for some reason, after I went back to floor 10 again, the game let me upgrade it. :?

Argh! The ship battles are impossible with my current strength. :x :cry:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:26 am

Well, also, there's a limit to how much you can upgrade on each floor in each visit.

If Ship Battles are too hard, Peon more enemies. ^^ Seven World Redux might help if you can beat it.

NeptuniaYuriFan
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby NeptuniaYuriFan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Is there a better revive spell?
The one called "Revive" heals almost no HP after the character is revived. Boosting it via the Mugen Field seems to have no effect other than increasing the SP cost.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:26 pm

...I just use items. :lol:

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

I think the original poster wanted to know if this game was like Disgaea or not. Where is KaiserDragon? He never came back and said anything about this post after the information we gave.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

Kaiser Dragon
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Kaiser Dragon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 am

Thank you for the replies so far (particularly chouchou's peon explanation). and sorry for the delayed response:

So basically, the game has elements from Disgaea and Neptunia Victory, but still also plenty of its own?

It also looks like the story will have plenty of comedy and over the top elements, which I enjoy.

I think I'll pick it up on Christmas and try it out before Mugen Souls Z arrives to our shores.

chouchou's peon
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby chouchou's peon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 am

Kaiser Dragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Thank you for the replies so far (particularly chouchou's peon explanation). and sorry for the delayed response:

So basically, the game has elements from Disgaea and Neptunia Victory, but still also plenty of its own?

It also looks like the story will have plenty of comedy and over the top elements, which I enjoy.

I think I'll pick it up on Christmas and try it out before Mugen Souls Z arrives to our shores.

You're welcome Kaiser Dragon, this game also has a boss called Kaiser Dragon.

Since you're picking this game up, I assume you did some research such as listening to what others have to say (Good or Bad) and watched some Let's Plays. It's battle system is like a supercharged version of Neptunia Victory with a few upgrading and customization elements that are easier to power up than Disgaea.

I've played Mugen Souls and Mugen Souls Z but I must say that Z should be easier to pick up for new players but hardcore players should enjoy Mugen Souls. Platinumed Mugen Souls Z five months ago but still working on on the plat for the original Mugen Souls. I like both games and they seem like two different games to me even though they look visually similar.

Do you still need anymore information about the game or is it okay if we can talk about it when you get the game? We'll be working on a new wiki for the games and hope to get it ready by December to answer some questions.
Sigs by ShadowJetX
Sig by Teddie Sage

Return to “Mugen Souls”