Talk about the proposed edits to Mugen Souls US here

Official Mugen Souls Discussion Forum
kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Talk about the proposed edits to Mugen Souls US here

Postby kanade2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm

So who else thinks that NISA changing Chou-Chou Sadist's dialogue is censorship ?
Last edited by kanade2 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vertical09
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vertical09 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:27 pm

kanade2 wrote:So who else thinks that NISA changing Chou-Chou Sadist's dialogue is censorship to freedom of speech?

No one :lol:

kanade2
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby kanade2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 pm

vertical09 wrote:
kanade2 wrote:So who else thinks that NISA changing Chou-Chou Sadist's dialogue is censorship to freedom of speech?

No one :lol:

You're no fun :cry:

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 pm

I wouldn't word it that way, or bring up our first amendment at all in regards to it. I do think it is censorship, but censorship to freedom of speech? No.
BDSMKane wrote:A defective product was released by NIS America on March 25, 2014.....and any support for that product is(by all appearances) non-existent. That's the core issue, and it reeks of poor business ethics.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 pm

kanade2 wrote:So who else thinks that NISA changing Chou-Chou Sadist's dialogue is censorship ?

It's not censorship unless they took her Japanese dialogue out. There is still the possibility of listening and hearing what shes actually saying as opposed to what was translated. At the best it'd just be an inaccurate translation.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 am

Assuming that you even want "accuracy" when translating. I mean, going between languages is as much art as science, and a certain degree of inaccuracy is almost required in order for the translation to be good...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 am

Take the script. Translate it. Then re-write it in English using most of the general ideas involved and really make sure it makes sense in English.

Hell, given that the two languages have completely different sentence structures, re-writing it is pretty much required.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 am

ZekeFreek wrote:Take the script. Translate it. Then re-write it in English using most of the general ideas involved and really make sure it makes sense in English.

Hell, given that the two languages have completely different sentence structures, re-writing it is pretty much required.

Direct translations would not bother me at all :lol:
I've gotten so used to Japanese structure that
"Neptune Series fans' familiar to maker personification Comp and IF."
Doesn't sound odd at all to me xD
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

BDSMKane
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby BDSMKane » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:56 am

vampko wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:Take the script. Translate it. Then re-write it in English using most of the general ideas involved and really make sure it makes sense in English.

Direct translations would not bother me at all :lol:
I've gotten so used to Japanese structure that
"Neptune Series fans' familiar to maker personification Comp and IF."
Doesn't sound odd at all to me xD

I honestly don't have a problem with direct translation instead of localization either. I don't know any Japanese but I hear sentences that make no sense in English quite often and have played a few games that were pretty bad as well like FFT.
BDSMKane wrote:A defective product was released by NIS America on March 25, 2014.....and any support for that product is(by all appearances) non-existent. That's the core issue, and it reeks of poor business ethics.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am

Try playing House of the Dead 2, that was nightmare mess of direct translation, terrible voice acting and editing rolled into one big ball of shit.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

TaranTatsuuchi
Majin
Majin

Postby TaranTatsuuchi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:20 am

Personally, I tend to listen to the Japanese vocals and translate myself as I hear them...

I get slightly annoyed when they don't match up very well with the onscreen dialog though...

Especially when it's completely different, or when something has been added on that wasn't there in the original and didn't really help in any way, silly stuff added onto the end... Like 'puppies and kittens!' added on for no real reason... >.>

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am

TaranTatsuuchi wrote:Personally, I tend to listen to the Japanese vocals and translate myself as I hear them...

I get slightly annoyed when they don't match up very well with the onscreen dialog though...

Especially when it's completely different, or when something has been added on that wasn't there in the original and didn't really help in any way, silly stuff added onto the end... Like 'puppies and kittens!' added on for no real reason... >.>

That is localization my friend :P

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:50 am

Darcnova wrote:
TaranTatsuuchi wrote:Personally, I tend to listen to the Japanese vocals and translate myself as I hear them...

That is localization my friend :P

Darc? Are we... Actually agreeing on something?

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Okay, folks. As we approach 2500 posts and nearly a month and a half of open discussion, I've decided to compile what I see as the major issues into one Q&A. This has been posted in the first post of this thread. I'm going to leave the thread open for a while longer to let people read through it. If you think something wasn't covered that should be, pose your question here. Once I feel like we've seen all the new questions we're gonna see, I'll update the OP with answers to the questions I feel need answering, and will be shutting the thread down. The game is out of debug and preparing for final release, and I think we've covered everything we can cover here.

If anyone still wants to discuss general censorship, we have a thread for that. If anyone still thinks their voice hasn't been heard and they want to let us know what they think once this is closed, we have a support e-mail and I check my inbox regularly. If anyone wants a free pizza roll, contact me at my personal Web Zone.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Seems like a pretty solid information dump.

One question!

What's a 'web zone'? :o
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Return to “Mugen Souls”