Thanks a bunch NISA

in Europe, for PSVita
User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am

nroejb wrote:I know, and he becomes even more of a character in the PSP version with the female main character.
But fleshed out as he may be, he still is a mascot, and I just don't like them (this one can summon demons, he should have used that ability to protect himself from having that laughable dress forced upon him).

Okay fine, here comes the derailing lore explanation.
One can only summon their Persona in such a manner in times of dire stress, and evokers force this state of mind (hence usually being in the form of guns used to somewhat replicate suicide), as such Koromaru needed a similar evoker to summon his persona more freely. Aigis just has one built-in.

Besides, these characters are only really 'mascot' characters because they are non-standard character designs as far as the casts go, as everyone else are just normal people, thus they tend to stand out.
After all, much promotional material does use these characters except in group shots, and it tends to be other members who get first billing on things.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 am

Ringwraith wrote:
nroejb wrote:I know, and he becomes even more of a character in the PSP version with the female main character.
But fleshed out as he may be, he still is a mascot, and I just don't like them (this one can summon demons, he should have used that ability to protect himself from having that laughable dress forced upon him).

Okay fine, here comes the derailing lore explanation.
One can only summon their Persona in such a manner in times of dire stress, and evokers force this state of mind (hence usually being in the form of guns used to somewhat replicate suicide), as such Koromaru needed a similar evoker to summon his persona more freely. Aigis just has one built-in.

Besides, these characters are only really 'mascot' characters because they are non-standard character designs as far as the casts go, as everyone else are just normal people, thus they tend to stand out.
After all, much promotional material does use these characters except in group shots, and it tends to be other members who get first billing on things.

I understand, the dress is supposed to help the dog constantly feeling his dignity in grave danger and wanting to commit suicide to anable him summoning Persona.


Anyway I played Persona 4 a little and I can say, the only think that bothers me is the constant tries to connect the main character to the player, there is always written stuff like "you decide", or "you arrive" when it should be "Yu decides" or "Yu arrives", I know that probably is a matter of taste, but they didn't do that in Persona 2 (which I last played), which was better.
I don't want to connect with my player characterin that way, I want him/her have as little to do with me as possible.
Thats why I prefer games with main Characters that have fleshed out personalities, Like they have in Persona 2 or Disgaea, or at least, if thats not possible, the choise for clearly non-human or female characters (like in Persona 3 PSP)
Which is also the reason why I like the PSP version of Persona 3 more than Persona 4, but not as much as Persona 2

User avatar
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 16942
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am
Location: Cuddling with Coco

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Rednal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:17 am

Well, the player characters in these games are kinda meant to be self-inserts... MegaTen's always been VERY big on choices and their consequences. Too much of a personality could make it difficult to have a story that doesn't feel off.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29
Image

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am

That still leaves open the possibilities of non humans and females or at least multiple body types and skin colours.

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 am

nroejb wrote:That still leaves open the possibilities of non humans and females or at least multiple body types and skin colours.

Which is not really possible with the all portraits and artwork they use, as well as the fully animated cutscenes, they were would basically be impossible.
Plus the gender thing would force some things to be entirely rewritten, which would add to the workload quite significantly.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 am

Ringwraith wrote:
nroejb wrote:That still leaves open the possibilities of non humans and females or at least multiple body types and skin colours.

Which is not really possible with the all portraits and artwork they use, as well as the fully animated cutscenes, they were would basically be impossible.
Plus the gender thing would force some things to be entirely rewritten, which would add to the workload quite significantly.

I don't say they have to redo this special game, although they did a great job on Persona 3 PSP, but it's something I would hope for in future games.
Generally I don't buy that many games, and when available I buy the ones with the traits I mentioned.
It's just that there isn't much comming out for the vita, and I didn't want to only own Disgaea 3.
However if there is another game featuring the traits I mentioned comming out the same time as Persona 5, it will be a very important part of my decicion which one to buy.

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:53 am

nroejb wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:
nroejb wrote:That still leaves open the possibilities of non humans and females or at least multiple body types and skin colours.

Which is not really possible with the all portraits and artwork they use, as well as the fully animated cutscenes, they were would basically be impossible.
Plus the gender thing would force some things to be entirely rewritten, which would add to the workload quite significantly.

I don't say they have to redo this special game, although they did a great job on Persona 3 PSP, but it's something I would hope for in future games.
Generally I don't buy that many games, and when available I buy the ones with the traits I mentioned.
It's just that there isn't much comming out for the vita, and I didn't want to only own Disgaea 3.
However if there is another game featuring the traits I mentioned comming out the same time as Persona 5, it will be a very important part of my decicion which one to buy.

Well I think they got away with in 3's remake because
Spoiler:
at the end of the day, that is their only appearance in any overarching plot really, though changing the gender does mess up parts of The Answer, so specifics, but not the consequences of the whole thing, would need rewriting.

Honestly I'd get another Persona game regardless because I know it will be a really good game, even if the gameplay department isn't great the writing will more than make up for it. There not being anything else like it helps too.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 am

While they seem to have given up on that topic, alternate timelines and dimensions were an integeral part of the main plots of the old Persona games, so in fact they have to adapt nothing for the answer.
(That one reminds me of the nis games).

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 am

nroejb wrote:While they seem to have given up on that topic, alternate timelines and dimensions were an integeral part of the main plots of the old Persona games, so in fact they have to adapt nothing for the answer.
(That one reminds me of the nis games).

Apart from, ya know, Persona 4 Arena tying 3 & 4 together
Spoiler:
and 1 & 2 as well.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Ringwraith wrote:
nroejb wrote:While they seem to have given up on that topic, alternate timelines and dimensions were an integeral part of the main plots of the old Persona games, so in fact they have to adapt nothing for the answer.
(That one reminds me of the nis games).

Apart from, ya know, Persona 4 Arena tying 3 & 4 together
Spoiler:
and 1 & 2 as well.

it's not the first time they decided on the sex of a free to chose main character afterwards, Tamaki Uchida from Shin Megami Tensei: If... was chosen to be female in Persona 1+2, but in the end it doesn't make much of a difference.
Arena doesn't tie Persona 3 and 4 together it ties Persona 4 and one Version of Persona 3 together, that doesn't negate the other version, if Atlus was to decide to bring out another game tying together the older Persona parts, but that time using the other Persona main char nobody would complain or be overly confused.
As I said, as soon as you introduce multiple dimensions and timelines, you can do anything.

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

nroejb wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:
nroejb wrote:While they seem to have given up on that topic, alternate timelines and dimensions were an integeral part of the main plots of the old Persona games, so in fact they have to adapt nothing for the answer.
(That one reminds me of the nis games).

Apart from, ya know, Persona 4 Arena tying 3 & 4 together
Spoiler:
and 1 & 2 as well.

it's not the first time they decided on the sex of a free to chose main character afterwards, Tamaki Uchida from Shin Megami Tensei: If... was chosen to be female in Persona 1+2, but in the end it doesn't make much of a difference.
Arena doesn't tie Persona 3 and 4 together it ties Persona 4 and one Version of Persona 3 together, that doesn't negate the other version, if Atlus was to decide to bring out another game tying together the older Persona parts, but that time using the other Persona main char nobody would complain or be overly confused.
As I said, as soon as you introduce multiple dimensions and timelines, you can do anything.

...there being one continuation implies there's a 'canon' plotline. Regardless of if they add to any of the others later, it will still always be the main one.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby nroejb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Ringwraith wrote:...there being one continuation implies there's a 'canon' plotline. Regardless of if they add to any of the others later, it will still always be the main one.

I don't think there nececerily has to be a main canon timeline.
The NIS games are a good example for that, in Soul Nomad the plot only makes sense if at least two timelines exist paralelly, so does the aditionally plot for the Phantom Brave adaptions.
Also, as far as I know, the Prinny games are continuations of another ending of DSisgaea 1 as the other Disgaea games including D2 are.
So far Atlus always seemed to have a major timeline for the Persona games, but that doesn't mean that anything's keeping them from changing their policies.

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Thanks a bunch NISA

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm

nroejb wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:...there being one continuation implies there's a 'canon' plotline. Regardless of if they add to any of the others later, it will still always be the main one.

I don't think there nececerily has to be a main canon timeline.
The NIS games are a good example for that, in Soul Nomad the plot only makes sense if at least two timelines exist paralelly, so does the aditionally plot for the Phantom Brave adaptions.
Also, as far as I know, the Prinny games are continuations of another ending of DSisgaea 1 as the other Disgaea games including D2 are.
So far Atlus always seemed to have a major timeline for the Persona games, but that doesn't mean that anything's keeping them from changing their policies.

Yeah, but the divergence from the other things from 3 are so minor, it's rather pointless to go to the trouble of sequelising those continuities.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea


Return to “Persona 4 Golden”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest