Only one question: Subtitles hard or soft?

Official Hanasaku Iroha discussion forum.
gaelstrom
Vassal
Vassal

Only one question: Subtitles hard or soft?

Postby gaelstrom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 am

Would someone be able to tell me if the subtitles are hard coded? It did not specify on the site from what I saw. If the subtitles are soft-coded and removable, this gets preordered. If not, it doesn't. I just want to know one way or another. Thanks!

gaelstrom
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Only one question: Subtitles hard or soft?

Postby gaelstrom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I guess I should correct my terminology and ask if the subtitles are set to on without the ability to turn them off.

Mc-Taz
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Mc-Taz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

NISA has been very good about letting us know ahead of time whether or not the subtitles will be locked on their releases for a while now. The best bet is to wait until it's added to NISA's store and if by then nothing has changed to either the store description or the anime's description page to signify locked subtitles, then it's looking like this release will not be locked. So far from what they've put up there's no indication it will be locked, nor are the companies in control of Hanasaku Iroha known to require locked subs on US releases.

I hope this helps, and I appreciate that NISA informs the fans ahead of release when they will include locked subtitles.

gaelstrom
Vassal
Vassal

Postby gaelstrom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Mc-Taz wrote:NISA has been very good about letting us know ahead of time whether or not the subtitles will be locked on their releases for a while now. The best bet is to wait until it's added to NISA's store and if by then nothing has changed to either the store description or the anime's description page to signify locked subtitles, then it's looking like this release will not be locked. So far from what they've put up there's no indication it will be locked, nor are the companies in control of Hanasaku Iroha known to require locked subs on US releases.

I hope this helps, and I appreciate that NISA informs the fans ahead of release when they will include locked subtitles.

That's the way I saw it as well. I'll monitor closely then.

Mc-Taz
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Mc-Taz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Just as a heads up, it has been stated elsewhere that Hanasaku Iroha will in fact be a locked subtitle release. They have yet to update their page for the series or the info in the store so far, but unfortunately it looks like it will be as such.

This is horrible, in my opinion. I understand that sometimes it is out of their hands, but with a series as desired as this one is, and as pretty as it is, I would have hoped that they would have been able to negotiate against it. Ano Hana was an unlocked release, and I was really excited in that case, because it is another stunning series visually. I hope that NISA will consider working around this problem in the future when a series is likely to sell enough to afford the extra cost involved.

I sincerely wish it wasn't going to happen to this series, as I felt it deserved better. I suppose it's just the price we have to pay for having a much lower priced Blu-ray release. At the very least I will ask that NISA consider negotiating out of these restrictions in the future. It's truly sad to hear news like this about such a nice series.

zrdb
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zrdb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm

What's so bloody horrible about "locked" subtitles? I don't speak japanese or read kanji and don't like "raw" anime so it's fine by me-I mean who wants to watch it without subtitles-not me!!

Mc-Taz
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Mc-Taz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:01 pm

zrdb wrote:What's so bloody horrible about "locked" subtitles? I don't speak japanese or read kanji and don't like "raw" anime so it's fine by me-I mean who wants to watch it without subtitles-not me!!

The idea is that you should be able to turn them off when you want to. If there's a scene that you want to enjoy without text over it, or specific frames you want to pause and look at cleanly, you don't have the option to do that if the subtitles are locked.

Certainly, most people just want to enjoy watching the show with the subtitles on, but just as you may not speak Japanese, there are plenty of people who can read or speak it who don't live in Japan. Admittedly, locked subtitles are a better choice than degraded video or other things that the licensors try to impose upon the US release, but it is the desire to have an unspoiled product that drives us to dislike this practice.

zrdb
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby zrdb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

Maybe so-but if one wants to watch it without subtitles then one should buy the japanese home market blurays which will cost you an arm and a leg-NIS is offering it for a fraction of what they cost so it's a very small burden to bear (for me non existent). While we're on the subject of subtitles PLEASE make them more readable. White subs with a thin black outline are almost impossible to read when the background is white. How about yellow with a thick outline? I don't care if they look "ugly"-you read subs-not admire their artistic merit.

PerryComo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Hanasaku Iroha ~ Blossoms for Tomorrow ~”