Initial Reaction

Official The Guided Fate Paradox discussion forum
myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Initial Reaction

Postby myskaros » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Just finished lesson 1 and thought I'd give some thoughts.

First of all, I love Renya. Awesome protagonist. His lines are hilarious, and his English VA is pretty spectacular.

The story is very intriguing. I definitely enjoyed how the first wish was resolved, it was rather unexpected, especially considering how much information was already floating out there on the game.

I haven't played ZHP, so this is my first foray into the roguelike genre. The first world is pretty simple, just some annoying traps and basic enemies. However, I felt pretty worthless against the boss... not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if I'm too used to "using healing items" = "apparently I suck at this game" (that's how I feel in 99% of other games at least :X).

Anyway, I'm really excited to play through this game. I couldn't get into DD2 for some reason, even though I've "completed" endgame on the last 2 Disgaea games, but this one has my gamer soul quivering. Very glad I got this game.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Initial Reaction

Postby Rednal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 am

If you have trouble with the boss, grind more. ^^

(Try getting to the point where you can regularly get to the floor just before the boss, then bring along some Apples or similar EN-restoring items. Grind for awhile against the enemies there and try to have new equipment for the fight.

Not training enough before a boss is a big factor in losing; and it's true, you shouldn't need to rely too much on healing items, though they can help in a pinch)
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Depends on where you go? I haven't found food to be too big of an issue just yet; the earlier dungeons are pretty short, after all, and you do get a bit of EN-recharging stuff. ^^

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:35 pm

first reaction to the game, holy crap this feels like Digimon World 2. Anyone old enough to have played that old PS1 games. I feel gameplay is almost 100% the same other then this is about angels not digimon.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm

It's a Roguelike. There's a certain similarity to anything in the genre. XD

But Digimon doesn't have Neliel. o wo

tails_night
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby tails_night » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:06 pm

O.O
that was mine.
In fact it inspird me to buy my own ps3 to play it because it is... beautiful.
I love how its the spiritual successor to ZHP only... beter Renya is likeable and relateable an his angels so loveabley NIS

cress
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby cress » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Just got the game today, and I'm halfway through the second fate. I'm liking it quite a bit. The only thing that kinda sucks is that you lose so much if you die in the dungeons.

I really like the characters, and along with the story, it makes me want to keep going to see what happens. The gameplay is fun, but really needed a superb story and equally superb characters to drive it, and thankfully, it does.

The first thing that came to mind when I started playing it was the anime, "The World God Only Knows."

After purchasing this game, I thought for a moment, and realized that I now own 13 PS3 games from NISA. That's almost all of them!

sathriel
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby sathriel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm

tails_night wrote:O.O
that was mine.
In fact it inspird me to buy my own ps3 to play it because it is... beautiful.
I love how its the spiritual successor to ZHP only... beter Renya is likeable and relateable an his angels so loveabley NIS

Ok, prepare for a Prinny flying your way. :twisted:

There is no aspect in which this game is better than ZHP :evil:

Seriously tho, the writing in this game is bad, really baaaad. The main characters are annoying, the female angels are vapid or just rage-inducing and their dialogues is cringeworthy. The humor falls flat most of the time. The gameplay is ok but I fail to see the aspect in which it is better than ZHP. Its not worse either, just different... slightly.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, everyone has their own opinion. ^^ Though it's true that the characters are nowhere near as crazy as ZHP's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though - just different.

sathriel
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby sathriel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Rednal wrote:Well, everyone has their own opinion. ^^ Though it's true that the characters are nowhere near as crazy as ZHP's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though - just different.

Of course, everything is a matter of taste. The characters are not crazy, that's for sure, they are painfully mundane and boring. If I wanted to watch a teen comedy I'd stick to the TV tho. This game is a tough one for me because I love the main conflict, S is a great villain and in a couple of moments the writing and the story is cool. If I wasn't NIS fan tho I would probably stop playing after an hour or two because I just could not stand the pointless characters and their petty talks.

MrFalcon
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MrFalcon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:15 am

yeah I hate the story too!!!

I've only played for about 8 hours so far and i've skipped every dialogue scene cuz it's so boring!!
I'm still too much into Disgaea D2 at the moment but i plan on going back GFP after!

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:04 pm

The gameplay is a much improved version of ZHP and it's really fun.

Now is the part where I start bitching about the characters which shouldn't be much at all since I am only on the second chapter. The game has made me laugh once which is disappointing and I hope it gets better. The dialogue really isn't good. It's taking the a plot that seems to have potential and making it really boring. Though it's not as bad as Disgaea D2.

The voice acting is fairly good. But of course since the dialogue is bad it detracts from the voice acting.

The game looks fairly good for the most part. But the characters busts for most of the characters look like the bad side of mediocre. The sprites are very good though. The stages themselves are fantastic as well.

Overall I think it's going to be a good game for the most part. I realize this is pretty much a mini review. (and trust me I didn't plan for that to happen) but I have a lot to say so I'm sorry I guess.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

warthriller
Vassal
Vassal

Postby warthriller » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 am

I thought the game was great. It took me around 32 hours to beat which I think is pretty good (I skipped all the bonus dungeons but the game is fun so I plan to go back and complete those at some point in the future).

Personally I enjoyed the game right from the beginning but a lot of the people I've seen who hated it at first started to like it by Chapter 4. I love the fact that the devs decided to acknowledge the fact that the people playing the game aren't idiots. This has been one of the only "challenging but fair" RPGs I've played in recent times that doesn't baby the player the entire time.

I think it's important to have some games like that, especially in modern times where games just constantly get easier and more pointless. I hope the game was profitable enough to motivate NIS to work on a sequel, I'd buy that on day one!

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm really surprised at how much people hated the characters and the script... I thought it was varied and amusing and found myself chuckling to myself a lot (I'm not the type to really laugh out loud :X). I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I loved something that most people seemed to hate, so I guess your loss, my gain O.o

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 pm

I forgot to mention that the game has a fantastic soundtrack! I love it so much!
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Return to “The Guided Fate Paradox”