what would be your high school title

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
OrangeAipom
Vassal
Vassal
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby OrangeAipom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't think students get to choose their titles, but I guess I don't really have a problem with whatever justification you'd come up with. After all, "it's not what I'm used to" isn't a valid argument. It describes what he is, as awkward as it may sound.

How is Moral Compass a talent?

User avatar
Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Mirai » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Natsuru Senou wrote:
Mirai wrote:Obviously I would want to be Super High School Despair.

That's a
Spoiler:
group
, though.
Personally I feel I'd be SHSL Bad Luck (PZ Version: Super Duper High School Unluckster, NISA Version: Ulitmate Unlucky Student)
Because I have nothing significant about me at all other than all the times things seemed to go wrong when I tried them.


Spoiler:
Technically only one person has this title but as despair is considered contagious it is possible for it to be spread onto other people.


Although I personally disagree with SHSL titles becoming just Ultimate I can understand why it was done and I always consider SHSL titles the most canonical one.
When it comes to the translated talents there are some I agree and diagree with.

The Good
Clairvoyant- I prefer this to Shaman.
Gambler- Same as fanmade version which was fine
Programmar- Same as fanmade version which was fine
Fashionista- The best one as its more accurate to what she really is than Model.
Martial Artist- I prefer this to Fighter.

The Not So Good
Writing Prodigy- Better than Bookworm, would of prefered either Writer or Book Author.
Pop Sensation- Should of stayed as Idol or even changed to Pop Star.
Baseball Star- Stayed as Baseballer adding in the star doesn't seem right.
Fanfic Creator- This is a difficult one as Otaku wasn't right either his talent should be Doujin Author but I can understand the change in this one.
Swimming Pro- Just stayed as Swimmer no real need to add pro.
Biker Gang Leader- I guess this one is okay might of been better to keep it just as Biker.

The ugly
Affleunt Progency- Dislike this one Scion suits him alot better.
Moral Compass- No No No this one is just weird it needs to be Prefect.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 am

I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Houk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.

Good to have ya back, Zeke.

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:12 am

Houk wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.

Good to have ya back, Zeke.


Yeah yeah.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 12642
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Inkopolis

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Beedlebud » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.


ZekeFreek's a fan of DR too? We truly are bros :)
Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Beedlebud wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.


ZekeFreek's a fan of DR too? We truly are bros :)


Hell yeah.

The problem I have with Ultimate (besides the fact it isn't Super Highschool Level) is that the word "Ultimate" implies that something is 'Final'. And that doesn't fit well.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Houk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.


ZekeFreek's a fan of DR too? We truly are bros :)


Hell yeah.

The problem I have with Ultimate (besides the fact it isn't Super Highschool Level) is that the word "Ultimate" implies that something is 'Final'. And that doesn't fit well.


That's one meaning, sure. Another common meaning is just 'the best.' And within the context of the game, it's made pretty clear that this is the intended meaning.

"Super High School Level" is kind of overblown and silly, bordering on nonsensical. It comes up a lot in the dialogue, and it basically ruins any sort of flow or tone the dialogue is trying to establish.

Something being a staple of the fandom for years (i.e. keep it this way because it's always been this way) isn't reason enough for us to keep something if we don't think it works in the context of our localization. We made the change being fully aware that some people might not like it, because we feel that it leads to a stronger product.

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Seventh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Houk wrote:"Super High School Level" is kind of overblown and silly, bordering on nonsensical.

... But that's kind of the entire point. Look at the art style, the setting, the wacky killer stuffed bear.

It's supposed to be nonsensical, and if you guys missed that, that really makes me worried about how the localization turned out.
Image

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Houk wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.


ZekeFreek's a fan of DR too? We truly are bros :)


Hell yeah.

The problem I have with Ultimate (besides the fact it isn't Super Highschool Level) is that the word "Ultimate" implies that something is 'Final'. And that doesn't fit well.


That's one meaning, sure. Another common meaning is just 'the best.' And within the context of the game, it's made pretty clear that this is the intended meaning.

"Super High School Level" is kind of overblown and silly, bordering on nonsensical. It comes up a lot in the dialogue, and it basically ruins any sort of flow or tone the dialogue is trying to establish.

Something being a staple of the fandom for years (i.e. keep it this way because it's always been this way) isn't reason enough for us to keep something if we don't think it works in the context of our localization. We made the change being fully aware that some people might not like it, because we feel that it leads to a stronger product.


Exactly. And that's the problem. Danganronpa is kind of a silly series when you think about so it. Enjoyable and not without its serious moments but in general is kind of silly, despite the tone they try to set, so it fit pretty well.

If you had done this with the PSP game years back when it came out, I might feel different. But I think so much time has passed that it became important to the fandom so changing now feels awkward, almost like a betrayal.

There's also the fact that Funi's official subs of the anime use the "Super Highschool Level". Actually I'm kind of mad at NISA in general for ignoring what Funimation was doing with the anime when you licensed the game. Now we're going to end up with two completely different dub casts unless Funimation wants to pony up the dough to outsource it to BangZoom.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Lago
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Lago » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:There's also the fact that Funi's official subs of the anime use the "Super Highschool Level". Actually I'm kind of mad at NISA in general for ignoring what Funimation was doing with the anime when you licensed the game. Now we're going to end up with two completely different dub casts unless Funimation wants to pony up the dough to outsource it to BangZoom.


NISA has been working on the translation since before they knew Funi would be translating the anime, and they were also given the OK to deviate from the Funi translation by Spike.

Not to mention, translating a game and translating an anime are way different things. Anyone who has worked with any sort of translation across multiple mediums would know that trying to stay consistent between all of the mediums is a recipe for disaster.

Also, this just an opinion, but I didn't like the Funi translation very much, so I'm glad it's not based off of it. There were a lot of translation errors and a lot of not so great translation choices.

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Anyone who has worked with any sort of translation across multiple mediums would know that trying to stay consistent between all of the mediums is a recipe for disaster.


Hahaha... No.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Houk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Seventh wrote:
Houk wrote:"Super High School Level" is kind of overblown and silly, bordering on nonsensical.

... But that's kind of the entire point. Look at the art style, the setting, the wacky killer stuffed bear.

It's supposed to be nonsensical, and if you guys missed that, that really makes me worried about how the localization turned out.


It's nonsensical in a way that we felt didn't work well with the rest of the game, even within the insane setting/style.

There really isn't anything else to be said beyond that. If you think it was a poor choice, that's fine. We knew making that change would bug some people, but we felt, and feel, it was in the best interests of the overall quality of our localization.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby Houk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:50 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
Houk wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:I've felt disappointed ever since they announced they were dropping the "Super Highschool Level" thing.

Like it or not NISA, that was kind of staple of the fandom for years. Thanks for casually tossing it in trashcan like it was a particularly unsavory slice of moldy pizza.... Really appreciate it.


ZekeFreek's a fan of DR too? We truly are bros :)


Hell yeah.

The problem I have with Ultimate (besides the fact it isn't Super Highschool Level) is that the word "Ultimate" implies that something is 'Final'. And that doesn't fit well.


That's one meaning, sure. Another common meaning is just 'the best.' And within the context of the game, it's made pretty clear that this is the intended meaning.

"Super High School Level" is kind of overblown and silly, bordering on nonsensical. It comes up a lot in the dialogue, and it basically ruins any sort of flow or tone the dialogue is trying to establish.

Something being a staple of the fandom for years (i.e. keep it this way because it's always been this way) isn't reason enough for us to keep something if we don't think it works in the context of our localization. We made the change being fully aware that some people might not like it, because we feel that it leads to a stronger product.


Exactly. And that's the problem. Danganronpa is kind of a silly series when you think about so it. Enjoyable and not without its serious moments but in general is kind of silly, despite the tone they try to set, so it fit pretty well.

If you had done this with the PSP game years back when it came out, I might feel different. But I think so much time has passed that it became important to the fandom so changing now feels awkward, almost like a betrayal.

There's also the fact that Funi's official subs of the anime use the "Super Highschool Level". Actually I'm kind of mad at NISA in general for ignoring what Funimation was doing with the anime when you licensed the game. Now we're going to end up with two completely different dub casts unless Funimation wants to pony up the dough to outsource it to BangZoom.


You're welcome to feel like it's a betrayal. It's not. The "fandom" doesn't own this game or its terminology. I've already addressed this mentality a few times across different parts of the forum, so I'm not gonna spend too much time on it here. We made the choices we felt were best for the project and the fans (all the fans, not just the ones who have already experienced other versions of the game). If Funi decided to take a different approach, that's their choice, but it was made clear by the developers that we were each free to make the decisions we thought were best.

I'm also not sure what your point is about the dub casts. Our terminology/localization process doesn't have any affect on that...

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: what would be your high school title

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:10 pm

I'm also not sure what your point is about the dub casts. Our terminology/localization process doesn't have any affect on that...


Funimation operates out of Texas, NISA operates out of California. I can't imagine every single VA from the game would be able or willing to fly out to Texas to dub the anime when Funimation gets around to it, especially considering a LOT of the VAs hired for the game are newcomers (assuming my sources are right). And they've never outsourced to BangZoom before.

IIRC, NISA's announcement that they had picked up Danganronpa came well after Funimation started the streaming the anime, which gives the impression the NISA didn't care what Funi was doing, consistency be damned.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd


Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests