Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita) ♥ Available Now!

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
burai97
Majin
Majin

Re: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita) ♥ Sep 2nd!

Postby burai97 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:NISA decided to break them up into two separate releases. Probably to make more money.

Or more likely, to spend less money.
Attempting to localise both games at once would be a huge risk if they spent the amount of money on them that way they did by releasing them separately. If they could afford to even fund it at all.

But according to Kyle Hebert's tweet on the day of the first game's release, they evidently dubbed both games simultaneously. Which tells me they separated releases intentionally just to build hype and not flood the market all at once.

And of course, to make money.

wasn't his tweet only saying that he voiced kazuichi who he thought was from trigger happy havoc? I don't think he ever said that they were recorded at the same time but i may be wrong on that.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:28 pm

burai97 wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:NISA decided to break them up into two separate releases. Probably to make more money.

Or more likely, to spend less money.
Attempting to localise both games at once would be a huge risk if they spent the amount of money on them that way they did by releasing them separately. If they could afford to even fund it at all.

But according to Kyle Hebert's tweet on the day of the first game's release, they evidently dubbed both games simultaneously. Which tells me they separated releases intentionally just to build hype and not flood the market all at once.

And of course, to make money.

wasn't his tweet only saying that he voiced kazuichi who he thought was from trigger happy havoc? I don't think he ever said that they were recorded at the same time but i may be wrong on that.

You're missing the point.

He mistakenly thought DR2 was released that day, either forgetting or not being told that it was actually DR1.

That implies that not only was he cast, but that he had already recorded his lines by that point. Otherwise he should've known DR2 couldn't possibly be out yet if he hadn't even gone in for recording.

There's no other logical way he'd make that mistake.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 am

We didn't record them simultaneously, but yes we did make the decision to localize the second game before the first was released. We actually said that when we first announced the second one, so it's not like it's some secret conspiracy.

And while yes, the point of releasing products is to make money, it's a pretty uncharitable oversimplification to say we did it "to make more money". Each of the games by themselves were easily two of the biggest projects we've ever worked on. Packing them as one 'game' would have made it our single biggest project ever by far, and very unlikely to recoup the costs - at least to the degree we would want to consider it a success.

I know I've explained that before, but I just wanted to reiterate it for anyone who might have been wondering about it.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:43 am

Houk, I can assume you are Nisa staff, can't I? Anyway thanks for that interesting piece of info. But honestly I didn't like waiting for the 2nd game...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am

Houk wrote:We didn't record them simultaneously, but yes we did make the decision to localize the second game before the first was released. We actually said that when we first announced the second one, so it's not like it's some secret conspiracy.

And while yes, the point of releasing products is to make money, it's a pretty uncharitable oversimplification to say we did it "to make more money". Each of the games by themselves were easily two of the biggest projects we've ever worked on. Packing them as one 'game' would have made it our single biggest project ever by far, and very unlikely to recoup the costs - at least to the degree we would want to consider it a success.

I know I've explained that before, but I just wanted to reiterate it for anyone who might have been wondering about it.

See, I don't want to doubt you.

But I also don't want to believe that Mr. Hebert would be dumb enough to think that a game he was cast in would be released before he even came in to record lines for it. You have to admit, it's a serious stretch of logic to accept that as an honest mistake.

And for the record, I'm not complaining about the split releases. Since we had never officially gotten the games before, it wasn't technically a re-release for us so I see why it had to be done.

I am intrigued by the statement that these were some of the biggest projects NISA has worked on. What was it that caused that? The sheer amount of text?
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

WesleyB
Vassal
Vassal

Postby WesleyB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:43 am

CTOONfan1 wrote:That scene happened for me. Not sure if you mean something missing from the scene or something..

I mean it's gone. Doesn't exist.. unless it is skippable, which I doubt it.

Spoiler:
Despite Gundham making a vague remark and doing nothing instead, Hajime went to the trial with a piece of wallpaper magically appearing in his pocket/truth bullets. Which confused my bro a little (He: "Wait, did that happen?" Me: "OOH, they skipped that bit entirely!")

Maybe its only in euro ver.

iatheia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby iatheia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:54 am

ZekeFreek wrote:See, I don't want to doubt you.

But I also don't want to believe that Mr. Hebert would be dumb enough to think that a game he was cast in would be released before he even came in to record lines for it. You have to admit, it's a serious stretch of logic to accept that as an honest mistake.

And for the record, I'm not complaining about the split releases. Since we had never officially gotten the games before, it wasn't technically a re-release for us so I see why it had to be done.

I am intrigued by the statement that these were some of the biggest projects NISA has worked on. What was it that caused that? The sheer amount of text?

It's not that difficult to figure out what happened. They licensed the first game and dubbed it. They saw how good the preorders were. They licensed the second game and started dubbing it. Mind you, they are not announcing voice actors unless they volunteer this information. So come the release of the first game they were either just recently finished or in the middle of dubbing the second one. The person you mentioned got confused in regards to which game he was asked about. 2-3 days later, NISA confirmed that they are bringing the second game over.

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:41 am

Finally got muh Ibuki avatar so my life is complete c:
Spoiler:

PSN: ninja-star95
NNID: AKninja95
Twitter: @MKWhopper
(Feel free to add me)

SupeMastodonicRoboMechPenisZetsuCyberBear

-Elston

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 am

iatheia wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:See, I don't want to doubt you.

It's not that difficult to figure out what happened. They licensed the first game and dubbed it. They saw how good the preorders were. They licensed the second game and started dubbing it. Mind you, they are not announcing voice actors unless they volunteer this information. So come the release of the first game they were either just recently finished or in the middle of dubbing the second one. The person you mentioned got confused in regards to which game he was asked about. 2-3 days later, NISA confirmed that they are bringing the second game over.

You're basically saying that I'm correct. It's just you have to replace the word "Simultaneously" with "Within a close time frame before the first game's release". Which for all intents in purposes is the same thing.

And even then, Kyle must have known whether or not he had finished recording his lines by then. I doubt he had to come in for that many sessions to begin with and he's been in this industry long enough to know how long it generally is between when his job is finished and when a game actually comes out. And if they were already recording lines, then obviously the translation and scripting were finished by that point. Which indicates that a vast majority of the work on DR2 was finished before DR1 came out.

Was it *finished* by the time the first game came out? Probably not, but I'd imagine it was probably mostly QA work before they waited a few months to start manufacturing copies.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Finally started the game today. I'm hoping to have even more fun than what I did with the first game.

iatheia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby iatheia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:21 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:You're basically saying that I'm correct. It's just you have to replace the word "Simultaneously" with "Within a close time frame before the first game's release". Which for all intents in purposes is the same thing.

And even then, Kyle must have known whether or not he had finished recording his lines by then. I doubt he had to come in for that many sessions to begin with and he's been in this industry long enough to know how long it generally is between when his job is finished and when a game actually comes out. And if they were already recording lines, then obviously the translation and scripting were finished by that point. Which indicates that a vast majority of the work on DR2 was finished before DR1 came out.

Was it *finished* by the time the first game came out? Probably not, but I'd imagine it was probably mostly QA work before they waited a few months to start manufacturing copies.

You've got that wrong. That's not at all the same thing. If the preorders for DR1 had been bad, they wouldn't have been eager to bring DR2 over. By doing only DR1 first, if it had failed, they would have only lost half the money of doing DR1+DR2 together.

Think of the timeline that this has happened. Preorders on NISA went out in November and LE sold out mid-December. Pretty sure preorders were available on sites like Amazon even earlier, but I don't know how much that information becomes immediately available. But they probably had some grasp as to whether or not they thought DR1 would succeed or not sometime during that time.

Doing some googling, on average a professional translator can translate 2000-3000 words per day. I think I remember hearing that there are ~3000 sentences in DR2? Let's say 5000. Either way, it would take may be a few weeks to translate everything.
But, not everything in the game is voiced. It is essentially just the trials, plus the grunting noises. So even just having that ready would be enough to go on.
Recording itself doesn't take a very long time as you said. Couple of days for each voice actor would be reasonable.

Let's say they started working on DR2 in December. DR1 came out in February. It is not impossible to do most of the translation and some of the voice acting done in that amount of time.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:45 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:I am intrigued by the statement that these were some of the biggest projects NISA has worked on. What was it that caused that? The sheer amount of text?

A huge amount of text, and a huge number of recorded lines (many of which had timing restrictions that slowed down the recording speed a bit). That kind of thing increases the resource cost of translation, and recording, and QA, and all kinds of stuff. It really adds up.

As for the topic of VAs and their projects, you're making a lot of assumptions about the industry that don't really apply. There are times where a VA might work on a title that doesn't come out for another year or more. There are other times where they're recording literally last-minute and the game is out in almost no time. For our projects, there's actually a pretty good amount of time between recording and release, but to be honest actors don't generally track that stuff super close. They've just got too many things going on at once to be able to always be on top of things.

Like I said, there really isn't any discrepancy here. We reached a certain point in the DR1 schedule where we were confident enough it was going to do well that we took the leap on DR2. We decided to align the announcement of DR2 to closely follow the release of DR1 because it just makes good sense, and Kyle happened to beat us to the punch by a couple of days.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:03 pm

iatheia wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:You're basically saying that I'm correct. It's just you have to replace the word "Simultaneously" with "Within a close time frame before the first game's release". Which for all intents in purposes is the same thing.

You've got that wrong. That's not at all the same thing. If the preorders for DR1 had been bad, they wouldn't have been eager to bring DR2 over. By doing only DR1 first, if it had failed, they would have only lost half the money of doing DR1+DR2 together.

Think of the timeline that this has happened. Preorders on NISA went out in November and LE sold out mid-December. Pretty sure preorders were available on sites like Amazon even earlier, but I don't know how much that information becomes immediately available. But they probably had some grasp as to whether or not they thought DR1 would succeed or not sometime during that time.

Doing some googling, on average a professional translator can translate 2000-3000 words per day. I think I remember hearing that there are ~3000 sentences in DR2? Let's say 5000. Either way, it would take may be a few weeks to translate everything.
But, not everything in the game is voiced. It is essentially just the trials, plus the grunting noises. So even just having that ready would be enough to go on.
Recording itself doesn't take a very long time as you said. Couple of days for each voice actor would be reasonable.

Let's say they started working on DR2 in December. DR1 came out in February. It is not impossible to do most of the translation and some of the voice acting done in that amount of time.

What the hell have I got wrong? You're just confirming everything I said, just in more detail.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:18 pm

but I must say that unlike in the neptunia Series the EN voices aint bad. sometimes not chosen perfectly, but better for the humor that way. best is the Tales of series, from my Nisa experience.
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:24 pm

My1xT wrote:but I must say that unlike in the neptunia Series the EN voices aint bad. sometimes not chosen perfectly, but better for the humor that way. best is the Tales of series, from my Nisa experience.

NISA has never localized a Tales game...

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”