Dangan Ronpa Review Thread

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
MegaJesse
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Dangan Ronpa Review Thread

Postby MegaJesse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
MegaJesse wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
MegaJesse wrote:... SO HOW ABOUT THEM DINGLE ROMPERS? GREAT GAME, AIN'T IT?

OH YEAH MAN. I LOVE THE DANGIT GRANDPA! IT'S THE BEST!

Wow that's an old meme...

I actually missed that phenomenon when it happened haha :P

trying to get on topic, I actually wonder how people managed to give DR a rating below 80%, it's far from being an average game really.

How the hell is 8/10 "average"?

Keeping in mind how typical game review sites review their games, 8/10 is the new 5/10 (coughcoughIGNcoughcough)

8/10 is far from average for my standards however
Dance with me, the Para Para

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:47 pm

MegaJesse wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
MegaJesse wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:

trying to get on topic, I actually wonder how people managed to give DR a rating below 80%, it's far from being an average game really.

Keeping in mind how typical game review sites review their games, 8/10 is the new 5/10 (coughcoughIGNcoughcough)

We're all aware of the 4-point problem. But please don't scare me like that.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Saito
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Saito » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:36 am

MegaJesse wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
MegaJesse wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:

Lemme just quickly defend IGN. As someone who watches and reads the majority of the things they do on the playstation side of things, I have a few objections with your "coughcoughIGNcoughcough". As mentioned on various occassions, both in podcasts (IGN Beyond Podcast 330 especially) and in his pre-review, just after he got his review copy I believe, the reviewer has said on countless times that he loves the game. But we all know that no game is without its flaws. It is their job to review games, not tell the reader what they want to hear. However, if you actually read throuh IGN's review, the following is the only dislike he has (that I could find in a near-only-praise review):
Unfortunately, while the murders are brutal, the in-game illustrations don’t always match the brutality. Spike Chunsoft has opted to use pink blood, which removes some of the graphical oomph of each murder scene. Then again, this is only a minor gripe in a game that otherwise totes beautiful graphics.

The game is not a 10/10. That fact is easy enough to face, because if reviewers just give out perfect 10's the what's the point of a review? Don't go thinking that the fact they gave a game an 8.5/10 (not an 8/10.) means it's below average, or anything like that, the guy praised Danganronpa throughout the majority of his review. I'm not saying that some IGN reviews often do give an 8/10, but did it ever cross your mind that too the reviewer, the game might just be an 8/10? And just to clarify, 8.5/10 qualifies as 85%, higher than 80%. So even if 8/10 is IGN's average, I think you'll find Danganronpa scored higher.

I mean seriously, going back to the podcast that I mentioned before, the three guys on there were just talking praise about it, obviously not too much detail as his review had yet to launch, but even the guy who runs the offical playstation blog was talking about it in a good way, saying how happy they are to see Danganronpa 2 being announced for translation.

All in all, Danganronpa isn't an average game, and I've yet to see a review that actually says it is. I'll finally quote two lines from the IGN review which pretty much sums the game up:
Charming and well written, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is a must own game for hardcore Vita owners.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is a wonderful fusion of the text-heavy visual novel genre with Phoenix Wright-like murder investigations and trials. Its quirky humor – made all the better by excellent writing and interesting characters – is constantly unsettled by the seriousness of the plot, making for a unique adventure that Vita gamers owe it to themselves to experience.

Aside from Persona 4 Golden, I've yet to see a Vita game get so much praise. And as a final final note, please look to see the + and - of the IGN review: Out of 5 points, the only - is "Where's the blood?" (And in my own opinion, this point wouldn't be needed if Video Games in our current generation didn't display so much blood.) That's pretty much it.

Yes, they may give 8/10s a lot, but Danganronpa beat that. Please remember the .5 in their score. It is there, and it is important

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 am

And just because there's nothing explicitly wrong with something, doesn't automatically make it a 10.
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 am

Personally, I saw nothing wrong with his review or rating and am just super glad he liked it as much as he did. All those people giving him crap on the comments section are kind acting like a bunch of a-holes, even if they DO like the game.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 am

Knowing nothing about IGN, I think that if 8/10 is the average score they give, I wouldn't call games that get it average, just that they typically (on average you could say) like games a lot.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:57 am

Seventh wrote:Knowing nothing about IGN, I think that if 8/10 is the average score they give, I wouldn't call games that get it average, just that they typically (on average you could say) like games a lot.

NONONONO. That's not the point we're making.

IGN doesn't think 8/10 is average, people who read IGN think 8/10 is average.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Nah, 8.5 is far higher than I thought they'd give the game and that's fine with me. Probably the highest not-Disgaea NISA game score they've given in a long time.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Beedlebud wrote:Nah, 8.5 is far higher than I thought they'd give the game and that's fine with me. Probably the highest not-Disgaea NISA game score they've given in a long time.

To be fair, they only review maybe 1/5th of the non-Disgaea titles NISA puts out.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:Nah, 8.5 is far higher than I thought they'd give the game and that's fine with me. Probably the highest not-Disgaea NISA game score they've given in a long time.

To be fair, they only review maybe 1/5th of the non-Disgaea titles NISA puts out.

True.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
Seventh wrote:Knowing nothing about IGN, I think that if 8/10 is the average score they give, I wouldn't call games that get it average, just that they typically (on average you could say) like games a lot.

NONONONO. That's not the point we're making.

IGN doesn't think 8/10 is average, people who read IGN think 8/10 is average.

Oh! My mistake.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Guys its the "hate out of ten" rule some gamers take on. To them 10/10 is great, 9/10 is good and anything below a 9/10 is considered a "bad" rating which some people then bitch about, calling the reviewer an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about.

Gamezone explains why there should be more games like Dangan Ronpa
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

*bangs head against wall*

I like that they like the game, but for fuck's sake, don't start pretending VNs are the new hot thing or that the genre was ever in any danger.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:*bangs head against wall*

I like that they like the game, but for fuck's sake, don't start pretending VNs are the new hot thing or that the genre was ever in any danger.

That's not something new, and it has happened many times before. You shouldn't read those articles, if you know they're going to treat visual novels that way.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Beedlebud I have decided to make both our lifes easier because This site Here is doing the job for us and it currently has over 30 reviews that haven't even been posted here yet.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”