*SPOILERS* Dangan Ronpa Chapter 2 Discussion

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!

Rating out of 5 on this Chapter:

5 out of 5 - Excellent
76%
4 out of 5 - Good
24%
3 out of 5 - Alright
No votes
2 out of 5 - Bad
No votes
1 out of 5 - Terrible
No votes

Total votes: 17

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: *SPOILERS* Dangan Ronpa Chapter 2 Discussion

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Seventh wrote:I dunno about that one. I mean I obviously have no way of knowing, but it's reeeeaaally not a feminine voice.

Yeah, when I was first playing through the JP version before I started working on it, I heard Chihiro talk and my first thought was 'oh that's a guy huh?'

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm

You know, that reminds me of something I've always wondered. If you don't mind me asking, what's that like? I mean like, if you were interested in the game and wanted to play it yourself, how does it work for you when you're translating it and such? Do you go in order or do you end up spoiling yourself as part of the job?

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Seventh wrote:You know, that reminds me of something I've always wondered. If you don't mind me asking, what's that like? I mean like, if you were interested in the game and wanted to play it yourself, how does it work for you when you're translating it and such? Do you go in order or do you end up spoiling yourself as part of the job?

Well for me, I don't speak nearly enough Japanese to play through and really get what's going on. For DR1, I pretty much played up to the first trial on my own, and then mostly watched playthroughs/watched my translator play.

But when I'm actually doing the edit work, I absolutely have to spoil myself and know the entire story before I start, so that I can better understand the character motivations, where they end up, what they're hiding, what the emotional tone should be leading up to big events, stuff like that. So as much as I would have loved to experience DR1 in a more natural way, it would have made my job harder.

If there's enough time in the schedule, the translator will play through the game naturally before starting the translation, so they get to experience it, but a lot of times they'll have to know the whole story ahead of time to work faster.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Yeah, I admit that I kinda noticed an oddity in Chihiro's voice...but I kinda ignored it :P

iatheia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby iatheia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm

There is only one male seiyu who could pull off a believable female voice. And he was already voicing Togami.

Seriously, Ishida Akira is awesome. Granted, his voice has matured since his early career, so it is a bit harder to pass for a high-school girl any more. Doesn't mean he doesn't try - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3EqJizfkQ - 7 out of 46 characters he is voicing for a single game.

Too bad that for his anime roles he rarely gets to use his full register since he is often typecast.

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Bit late in posting about it, but I beat Chapter 2! I never even retried on the trial or used Concentration/Fever even though I had it on Mean/Mean difficulty! I feel awesome! Image

In any case, that was quite the chapter. Quite a few twists here.

I already knew about the Toko/Jack/Jill thing because of the trophy guide, though looking through the chapter, it's something I would've figured out as soon as that whole thing with trying to lead out Toko from her room happened anyway, so not much loss there.

Admittedly, I did know there was a crossdresser, but I sure as hell didn't expect it to be Chihiro (the comment wasn't specific, thank God). I was honestly expecting it to be Sakura.

As for the culprit, the whole trial definitely threw me for a loop. Byakuya making things "more interesting" definitely didn't help, though I'll admit that he's starting to grow on me for that. Mondo being the culprit was quite the shock. Poor Taka. :cry:

Also, damn, that was a brutal death, what with his fricking brain exploding and being made into butter, which Monokuma then has with pancakes. :shock:
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

SoySauce
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby SoySauce » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Wdog-999 wrote:Bit late in posting about it, but I beat Chapter 2! I never even retried on the trial or used Concentration/Fever even though I had it on Mean/Mean difficulty! I feel awesome! Image

In any case, that was quite the chapter. Quite a few twists here.

I already knew about the Toko/Jack/Jill thing because of the trophy guide, though looking through the chapter, it's something I would've figured out as soon as that whole thing with trying to lead out Toko from her room happened anyway, so not much loss there.

Admittedly, I did know there was a crossdresser, but I sure as hell didn't expect it to be Chihiro (the comment wasn't specific, thank God). I was honestly expecting it to be Sakura.

As for the culprit, the whole trial definitely threw me for a loop. Byakuya making things "more interesting" definitely didn't help, though I'll admit that he's starting to grow on me for that. Mondo being the culprit was quite the shock. Poor Taka. :cry:

Also, damn, that was a brutal death, what with his fricking brain exploding and being made into butter, which Monokuma then has with pancakes. :shock:

I just finished the chapter too and I gotta say even after watching the anime... this trial messed me up big time. I had to restart on the climax interference cuz of low health and missing 2-3 times on a panel. While I am playing on mean difficulty, knowing the anime did not save at all... which is such a major thrill ride for me.

also I love Jill's voice!! Her voice... and a certain someone's voice I haven't spoiled yet before playing the game unlike the rest of the cast. (Watching the introductions before I got my hand on the game myself.)

I feel really bad for Ishi and my god my favorite character was killed off right before my eyes. AHH I can't wait till I unlock school mode so I can spend more time with my precious Chihiro.
When I'm right and you're not?
Spoiler:

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah, two of the Nonstop Debates had me stumped for a bit, but the most annoying part is always that freaking closing argument because of all the damn pictures. A couple of them are easy to weed out because they're clearly already in another panel, but then you get some weirder ones. The CA in the first trial actually caused one of my two retries. I was down to half a heart thanks to this one. Thankfully, I'm awesome with rhythm, so the Bullet Time Battles are a cinch for me. Looking forward to having to reload my bullets for that later on.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 am

Well, that was fun. XD Finally beat this chapter, so... I should probably get started on the next one soon.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I didn't suspect Chihiro's gender until I first saw his death scene and noticed the posters were swapped, along with the stain in the men's gym (I was OCD with noticing every little background detail every time I had a chance to explore).

I never cared for Chihiro, so his death didn't bother me. I always overanalyze things, but I was thinking, during chapter 1, that Chihiro was involved with Monokuma mainly because of his programming status. It's stated that Monokuma is super advanced, in terms of tech, so who better than the ultimate programmer to be involved some how?

When I was I initially investigating, I was assuming Byakuya was involved (which technically he was) mainly due to his insistence that Makoto team-up with him and how he mentioned only "top officials" knew about Genocide Jack's info. Though, the more I was investigating with him, then less I suspected him ESPECIALLY when he mentioned Genocide Jack having DID. He was practically yelling "I DID IT!" at that point, which doesn't match his elitist personality. I didn't suspect Toko/Genocide Jill at all because the crime scene was "framed" around GJ's style, which is too obvious.

About the 16th student, I'd say Kyouko or Celeste. Kyouko since she's practically a "detective" and is always "guiding" Makoto (there's more to this that I'm still speculating about). Celeste since she's so manipulative.

Overall decent 2nd chapter. Nothing surprising. Hopefully the story starts ramping up soon.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:44 am

I mean...the first time I saw Chihiro's picture, I thought he was a trap. The voice made it even more obvious, but then everything else continued to make it more and more obvious.

Anyway, the twists were better than chapter 1, but still none of them were "shocking". It became obvious that Toko was the serial killer way too early on, Byakuya's too collected and professional to make the murder look that much like he was the one who committed it, if he were the one who committed it, and Mondo calling Chihiro a dude all of a sudden was way too freakin odd.

The room switch wasn't that hard to get either. I'm more curious about the other things I'm finding than the actual cases to be honest. Like, the letter, which sorta implies the students have been out for a year while this was being built around them. And then there's the talk at the end of the chapter like something else is going on right now. The Sixteenth student I am hoping is someone working in the shadows so it'd be more interesting, but my gut is saying it's "the populace". The reason why there was a seat at the trial that was empty, without even a picture. This sorta seems like a game that's being done for public entertainment.

Now, as for who's helping Monokuma? I'm thinking Celeste probably at this point.

One last note: Toko is probably my favorite character right now~ Man she is fun!

Also, so far, the killers haven't really had any redeemable qualities. I didn't even feel sorry for their deaths. To me they were nothing more than "entertainment" :mrgreen: Maybe the school mode will change that?

On the flipside, the game's doing a good job of making me feel for the victims. But, overall, I haven't become very emotionally invested in this game. I think it's possibly because they're being too forthright with evidence and foreshadowing to what's going to happen.

I am rather glad Byakuya took the time to spice up the murder scene, because gosh did Mondo leave behind a boring one :(
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 am

vampko wrote:Also, so far, the killers haven't really had any redeemable qualities.

Only the heartless don't like Mondo. Heartless I say.

As for the "dude" bit, that surprised me - I mean, I knew Chihiro was a guy before playing, but that was literally one line, and people often call others dudes even if they're girls. Dude is a word like that. That's not exactly decisive evidence - all the surfer stereotypes in the world would be killers in that case!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 am

Seventh wrote:
vampko wrote:Also, so far, the killers haven't really had any redeemable qualities.

Only the heartless don't like Mondo. Heartless I say.

As for the "dude" bit, that surprised me - I mean, I knew Chihiro was a guy before playing, but that was literally one line, and people often call others dudes even if they're girls. Dude is a word like that. That's not exactly decisive evidence - all the surfer stereotypes in the world would be killers in that case!

He said it more than once actually.

And I can't really feel sorry for someone who crushed someone else's hopes and dreams just because he didn't want people to know that he was "weak". I really do wonder what the others' secrets were. Toko's was the only one worth fighting for, since it actually had to do with the present, and wasn't someone holding onto the past.

Makoto's was a freakin joke though :lol:
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 am

Huh, he did? My mistake then. Even so, with his use of slang, that alone isn't something I would have put a whole lot of worth into.

That wasn't exactly all of it, but to each their own I guess. I agree with you on that one though. I'd also like to have seen the ones of Leon and Sayaka too, but, well... ;)

That's a good thing though!

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 am

Wait, wasn't part of the reason that Mondo didn't want his secret revealed the fact that if it were revealed, it would expose that Mondo's brother didn't actually get himself killed to save face or something, but that he was killed saving Mondo from that truck. Not to mention the way the secret was worded ("Mondo killed his brother"), that would've fucked some shit up back in the real world if it got out.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”