*Minor Spoilers* Curious about the translation process

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

*Minor Spoilers* Curious about the translation process

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 am

This doesn't really apply to Dangan Ronpa, this is also about the process of translating other games too.
Just really interested in how it works, maybe some of you are interested too?

Is translating a game a team effort?

When you've decided on changing certain words or phrases do you consult anyone else on the team to see if they've come up with something else that would be better suited

Eg: (Plot Spoilers)
Spoiler:
Genocider Syo to Genocide Jack

Removing letters from names that don't really need to be there

Did anyone else come up with other names that could be used?

How much experience is needed to translate a game?

How much communication is there with the developer of the game and do they give you the go ahead on what's okay and what's not?

Been meaning to make a thread like this, if anyone else wants to know things you could ask some questions too and maybe we'll hear some interesting things. :D

Scumbadsoldier
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: *Minor Spoilers* Curious about the translation process

Postby Scumbadsoldier » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 am

Related: What was here originally?

Lago
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Lago » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:14 am

Scumbadsoldier wrote:Image

I'm not sure about this specifically, but Ishimaru uses 'slang' a couple times in the Japanese version in an attempt to be cool.
Last edited by Lago on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Internetakias » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 am

Scumbadsoldier wrote:Image

Taken from orenrone's LP: "Forget everything I just said! Forget-- Forget-- Forget Beam!! I just made a little joke. Ha ha ha!!"
That's from the fan translation, by the way.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:58 am

To answer the general question - yeah, it's definitely a team effort. Each game gets one translator and one editor, and together they work through the script, decide name spellings and key terms, all that stuff. We then sit down and do a script party with the rest of the localization staff, where we read through the entire script to solidify tone, style, terminology, all that stuff. For the most part, translation decisions are left up to the translator/editor team, but if there are any big changes/choices, we'll discuss it as a team. And of course the game title/subtitle gets decided as a team, as well.

In the example you mentioned for
Spoiler:
Genocide Jack
the translator and I discussed the possibility of a change, the pros and cons, and we decided to do it. Then during the script party, I explained to everyone else what the original was, what we'd changed it to and why, and at that point anyone was able to weigh in. As a team, we decided it was a good fit and went with it.

In terms of name spellings, that's a general style rule we have at NISA (there are basically several accepted ways of Romanizing Japanese names, and we use the one we feel best fits our localization style).

The amount of direct translation experience varies, but all of our translators are native Japanese and English speakers and are familiar with the medium, so their grammar and vocabulary is there.

I can't speak for other companies, but for us the developer has final say in all of our changes. Sometimes we'll suggest a change that they're not a fan of, and we'll lay out exactly why we think it's a good change. Sometimes they agree and we make the change, sometimes they don't and we keep it how they want it. Either way, the developer is always part of the process and ultimately they have the final say. (Which has worked out flawlessly for us so far.)

Scumbadsoldier
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Scumbadsoldier » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:05 am

Internetakias wrote:
Scumbadsoldier wrote:
Spoiler:

Taken from orenrone's LP: "Forget everything I just said! Forget-- Forget-- Forget Beam!! I just made a little joke. Ha ha ha!!"
That's from the fan translation, by the way.

I see. I'm assuming that's a direct translation, and a reference to something, but what?

EDIT:
Houk wrote:In the example you mentioned for
Spoiler:
Genocide Jack
the translator and I discussed the possibility of a change, the pros and cons, and we decided to do it. Then during the script party, I explained to everyone else what the original was, what we'd changed it to and why, and at that point anyone was able to weigh in. As a team, we decided it was a good fit and went with it.

Pray tell, why? Or can that actually be read either way because Japanese is crazy?

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:19 am

I already went into detail about the change in another thread, but the gist of it is that the Japanese name has a certain connotation to Japanese users (reference to a serial killer) which is lost on Western players. In order to get that connotation across in English, we changed it to something that would give our players the same association.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for replying Houk. That was a good read, very informative c:

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”