If you enjoyed Danganronpa, you might like...

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

If you enjoyed Danganronpa, you might like...

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 am

I'll use this topic to discuss games that are similar to Danganronpa, or that people that played Danganronpa might enjoy.

First of all, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (NDS):

Junpei, a fairly normal college student finds himself involved in a deadly conspiracy that he couldn't have possibly imagined. He awakes aboard an old passenger ferry, dazed and confused he stumbles around the room trying to reclaim his memories. First thing he noticed was a number roughly drawn on the cabin's door. A bright red number 5. Junpei's memory then returned and he remembered what happened right before becoming unconscious! A mysterious person with a gas mask crossed his mind. He remembered the haunting words he spoke, I'm gonna make you play the game, the Nonary Game' the game of life or death".

It was released in 2010, published and localized by Aksys. It's from Chunsoft, before the Spike Chunsoft merge. My favorite DS game ever, I'd suggest it to everybody that loved Danganronpa.

Since we're talking about 999, here's the sequel, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS/Vita):

You thought you'd defeated the Nonary Game, but now it's back, and more deadly than ever. It'll take cunning, skill, and more than a little luck to escape alive, but do you really have a choice?

IDO agents working in California report that preliminary findings indicate the exceedingly dangerous Japanese adventure game known as "Zennin Shiboudesu" has somehow crossed the Pacific. Attempts were made to contain it, but some carriers seem to have escaped the quarantine and are now at large.

It was released in 2012, published and localized by Aksys as well. This was after the Spike Chunsoft merge, and takes the story from 999 to a whole other level. If you're interested, try to play 999 first, since VLR is a direct sequel.

Just another Spike Chunsoft game before we move to other developers, Banshee's Last Cry (iOS/Android):

Banshee’s Last Cry is a thrilling visual novel that takes readers on a deadly thrill ride of murder and deception. Set in a snowed in hotel lodge during Christmas, vacationers find themselves caught up in a murderous “whodunit” game when someone winds up dead. Local legend tells of a banshee whose screams can rip through flesh, but, is the killer really a deadly monster or the work of a madman?

An inventive twist on the traditional novel, Banshee’s Last Cry allows readers to make decisions, each unlocking several unique stories and endings. Added to the mix is a soundtrack befitting of a thriller novel and images to set the mood.

One of the first games by Chunsoft, a.k.a. Kamaitachi no Yoru, it was released last month for iOS, published and localized by Aksys again. You can download the game for free, and after you reach a certain part of the game, you have to pay $4 to unlock the full game. So far, there's no Android release, but they'll do it in the future.

Now, from a different developer, but with the same writer of 999 and VLR, there's Ever17 -the out of infinity- (PC):

Ever17 is the tale of seven individuals who come to be trapped 153 feet within the underwater marine theme park, LeMU. During an apparently normal day at the park, a massive accident happens, placing almost half of the facility underwater. The path to the surface and the communication lines are cut off. In addition, LeMU is under constant assault by severe water pressure, limiting time to find a means of escape to 119 hours.

Escape is not the only concern, however; many questions arise as to the legitimacy of the accident and whether or not those trapped there were brought there for a purpose.

This visual novel shares many, many traits with the first two games mentioned here, 999 and VLR, but that's because it has the same writer behind it. It has developed a fanbase, and while you can't easily find it for sell, it should be worth it in case you do. Hopefully, some company is working on a rerelase for this.

Last but not least, here's one you all should know, Steins;Gate (PC):

Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN, who has been doing their own research on time travel, tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.

It's on track for release next month, thanks to JAST USA. It's a big name visual-novel, and while it has been released on many platforms in Japan, so far we're only getting the PC version. That shouldn't be an issue though, since Steins;Gate should be worth it come next month.

Bonus round: Corpse Party (PSP) and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP):

A gory, disturbing and uncomfortably exhilarating tale of mystery, fear and survival, in the tradition of the greatest Japanese horror classics!

Join eight students and one teacher as they inadvertently invoke a powerful curse and find themselves wandering the haunted halls of Heavenly Host -- a constantly shifting echo of a tragedy-stricken elementary school that should have been torn down decades ago. With vengeful spirits lurking around every corner and an omnipresent pressure in the air threatening to break what's left of their sanity, they must race against their own impending dooms to solve the mystery of where and when they are, cataloguing the rotting corpses of their own unsuccessful predecessors all the while.

Featuring retro-styled 2D visuals, agonizingly detailed art stills, binaural 3D audio with original Japanese voices, over two dozen endings and some truly twisted depictions of death, this story-driven horror adventure is the perfect nightmare fuel.

While it might not be similar to Danganronpa in story or gameplay, Corpse Party should be right up your alley if you enjoyed the "horror" segments in Danganronpa. There are two games released by XSEED, Corpse Party and its sequel, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. If you still have your PSP (or Vita), try out these games, as they'll probably make you have the same feelings for the characters as Danganronpa, and just as you start to like them, something might happen to them...

Well, this is it. I had this idea for a couple of weeks, but decided to post it a few days after Danganronpa's release. What do you think of the listed games? Do you have any other suggestions? Discuss it!

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: If you enjoyed Danganronpa, you might like...

Postby Mirai » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am

In regards to the Zero series:

3rd One delayed

This means it will be quite a long wait before we get the next one or it won't be happening :(

I still haven't played Virtue's Last Reward yet which I plan on doing once I'm done with Dangan Ronpa

Also I know this isn't a game but it has some similarities with Dangan Ronpa and I'm sure most people here have heard of it. BATTLE ROYALE!!
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am

If you can, please play 999 before VLR, or at least watch a playthrough on Youtube. It'll drastically change your experience with VLR.

ero_prince
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ero_prince » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 am

there's also jojo's bizarre adventure since some of danganronpa is inspired by it, like how mondo's biker gang is called crazy diamond and the mastermind makes the same pose as dio brando

Saeval
Majin
Majin

Postby Saeval » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 am

I know most of the games in that list - Banshee's Last Cry was an exception though; it seems very intriguing, too bad the Android version isn't out yet.
Oh, and about VLR, I got it for free since it was one of the game offered with the PS+, but I didn't play it - and I don't plan to - since I can't play 999

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 am

If you don't plan to buy a DS or 3DS, just watch a playthrough of 999 on Youtube and get to VLR. It's not the ideal thing to do, but at least you'll not be missing out on one of the best Vita games available.

acpstunts
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby acpstunts » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 am

999 & VLR = Amazing

ero_prince
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ero_prince » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 am

im planning to get VLR soon, i bought 999 back in december but only got he coffin ending, i'll finish all the endings a few days before i can buy VLR

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 am

ero_prince wrote:im planning to get VLR soon, i bought 999 back in december but only got he coffin ending, i'll finish all the endings a few days before i can buy VLR

You don't need to finish all endings, but you do need get the true ending. Since 999 is not an easy game to go and play through all endings, I just watched the other endings on Youtube instead.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 am

Shizuka wrote:If you don't plan to buy a DS or 3DS, just watch a playthrough of 999 on Youtube and get to VLR. It's not the ideal thing to do, but at least you'll not be missing out on one of the best Vita games available.

I have a DS but because of "REGION LOCKING!!!!" :x I couldn't play 999 so instead I did what you suggested and watched a walkthrough of just the true ending a while back so that should be enough for VLR.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:46 am

Mirai wrote:
Shizuka wrote:If you don't plan to buy a DS or 3DS, just watch a playthrough of 999 on Youtube and get to VLR. It's not the ideal thing to do, but at least you'll not be missing out on one of the best Vita games available.

I have a DS but because of "REGION LOCKING!!!!" :x I couldn't play 999 so instead I did what you suggested and watched a walkthrough of just the true ending a while back so that should be enough for VLR.

The DS doesn't have region-lock. As far as I'm aware, only the DSi and DSi XL have, and only for DSi-enhanced games. I have a DS Lite and it runs games from all regions.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 am

Shizuka wrote:
Mirai wrote:

The DS doesn't have region-lock. As far as I'm aware, only the DSi and DSi XL have, and only for DSi-enhanced games. I have a DS Lite and it runs games from all regions.

ahh my apologies I meant 3DS :P but from what I just checked DS games seem to be region free on the 3DS as well I'm not entirely sure on this one :|

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 am

Which region is your 3DS from?

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 am

Shizuka wrote:Which region is your 3DS from?

It would be the European version.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 am

I can't say for sure it'll run the North American version of 999, but you can also wait for 999 iOS/Android, which Aksys confirmed for this year as well, with a worldwide release.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”