Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Reviews

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Reviews

Postby Mirai » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 pm

This topic is for posting and discussing reviews found across the web on SDR2.

Yes that's right we're still over 3 weeks away from release and we have our first review for SDR2 from TechnologyTell:

TechnologyTell- A+

I think there should be a universal mandate for Vita owners. If you have the handheld, you must play Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. These are exemplary examples of storytelling in games, and Spike Chunsoft’s execution is masterful. I can’t even say, “Just go play Danganronpa 2, because it’s the better one.” This pair is impeccable and the tales must be experienced. I feel so bad for everyone who has to wait until September 2, 2014 to play – it’s going to be a long wait.

Gamrreview- 8.5/10

Danganronpa 2 is everything I had hoped it would be - a very high quality entry in a unique and fun series, one that I was able to experience this time without being spoiled by an anime adaptation - but it does start to show some cracks in the series' design. Despite that, I highly recommend it to anyone who owns a Vita and enjoys a good murder or two. Now let's pour out a forty on the Vita for the virtual friends we lost along the way*.

GamingTrend= 9/10

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is one of the most enthralling games I’ve played in the past year, and it is certainly half of one of the best series to come to Vita. Its narrative is gripping, its characters are more memorable separately than most game’s combined casts can claim, and it feels like the series managed to get right almost all of its mechanical setbacks.

Even after I’ve finished the game, my mind is constantly going back to my time spent on the island where I watched my friends end each other’s lives, and I can tell that the hold this game has on me isn’t going to let up anytime soon.

Gamespot- 8/10

Danganronpa 2 is a simultaneously terrifying, uplifting, painful, thoughtful, funny, and heartbreaking delight. Anyone who cherishes engaging stories, unique gameplay experiences, and great characterization would do well to invest themselves in this series.

Diehardgamefan- (Rating N/A but if I had to guess based on the review I would assume its a 8/10)

I’ll make this simple: if you own a Vita, you should own Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (and the first game if you somehow missed that too) unless you absolutely hate visual novels, period. The game has issues, certainly; the ending isn’t all it could be, some of the assets are reused from the first game, the “Magical Girl Monomi” minigame is kind of weak and has a grind-tastic Trophy tied to it, and some of the minigames could use some tweaking. That said, the positives far outshine the negatives, and how. The plot avoids retreading the same ground of the first game while still offering a compelling story that answers a lot of the questions the first game left lingering, the visual and aural presentation are generally outstanding, and the game changes up a lot of the mechanics in intelligent ways to make the game feel fresh while still offering up elements the fans loved. The core gameplay retains the same visual novel and adventure game elements, but the class trial mostly features improved or brand new minigames to play that make the experience more fun, and there’s far more content in this game than in the prior one, both expected and completely unexpected. Hell, there’s a freaking light novel in here for you to read, and it’s pretty good too. Honestly, unless you hated the first game for some reason or hate reading, Dangan Ronpa 2 is on the short list of the best games available for the Vita at this point, and you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you missed it.

RPGsite- 10/10 :D

With a perfectly implemented contrast of tones, a likable cast of characters, subtle yet effective improvements on the already exciting gameplay, and a mind-blowing plot bringing everything to a satisfying conclusion, fans of the original won't want to skip this. Newcomers shouldn't either, but only after they have play the first one.

Attackofthefanboy-7.5/10

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is great for fans of the murder mystery who also like to have a little friendship and story to back it up. It is an overall fun experience that the only thing that keeps it from being perfect, is that it is essentially a repetitive game. You will constantly go through the same things, over and over. Granted, that is primarily the point but a little variety in there would have been great. It’s a great game that lives up to the predecessor and will likely have fans returning once again to see the truly devious and tyrannical Monobear.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is the definitive Danganronpa experience. Though players absolutely have to play its predecessor to fully grasp the overall narrative, it is everything one would hope a sequel should be. This is a title that takes a proven formula and improves upon it in numerous ways, from the gameplay to the vastly superior narrative. You’ll constantly scratch your head, drop your jaw, laugh out loud, and feel noticeably sad. You’ll connect with each character in a notable way, allowing each death to have far more weight than those in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. It instantly catapults itself into the Vita’s elite, as its narrative is simply that great. If you’re a fan of heavily story-driven titles, you’d be doing yourself a grave injustice not giving this one a shot.

Game Informer - 8/10

If you enjoyed the first entry, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play Goodbye Despair. If you who weren't enamored with it, you won't find anything here to change your mind. Nonetheless, you still won't find a series out there that messes with your head like Danganronpa. It sticks with you long after you've watched the credits roll.

ZTGD - 9/10

Still, at the end of the day, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is one of the most fun and exciting visual novel games on the market. While the PlayStation platform may never get their hands on the Ace Attorney series, I believe Danganronpa has reached a similar level of prestige and quality.

Hell, with a few more titles of this caliber under their belt, they might even surpass them.

Push Square - 8/10

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is a superb sequel that successfully builds upon its predecessor's already addictive formula. By introducing a totally different setting and a host of new systems, it's able to keep proceedings feeling both fresh and familiarly engaging. If you haven't dipped into the first game, you're better off starting there, but play both titles in sequence, and you'll experience what is possibly the most gripping tale to grace Sony's portable device.

Gizorama- 9/10

While you may run into a few frustrations during the class trials, they do very little to take away from the rest of the game. Far more than just a visual novel, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is an experience and a ride crafted with great care that will have you fascinated as you watch the battle between hope and despair.

DigitallyDownloaded- 10/10 :D

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is every bit the worthy sequel to one of my favourite games ever created. Smart ideas paired up with smart writing and an enthralling mystery make for another true game of the year contender.

Vandal- 8.6/10

It pretty much improves everything we didn't like about the first episode. If you like the concept or if you enjoyed the first Danganronpa, this definitely deserves your time and money.

Eurogamer Italy - 8/10

If you love graphic novels and have never played the PSP, Android, or iOS versions of Danganronpa 2 in 2012, I strongly recommend the purchase of this port for the Vita, also to encourage the good work of those who continue to believe in distribution in the West for these kinds of games.

Note: This review is in Italian.

God is a Geek - 9/10

If you even remotely enjoy great stories and narratives, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is an absolute must-buy. The final segment in particular is magical. When you read about this series, Zero Escape meets Persona meets Ace Attorney gets thrown around a lot. I can safely say that it has earned a position next to those games.

Playstation LifeStyle - 9/10

Danganronpa 2 is a masterful piece of dark mystery storytelling, with a focus on exploring morally ambiguous facets of the psyche. Each trial will drive you to the realization that despair and hope are not divergent paths, but rather a single path that shares this duality. Who can you trust? Who is capable of committing murder? What does it all mean? If you own a Vita, you owe it to yourself to play both Danganronpa titles. Well, what are you waiting for? Go on, throw yourself down the rabbit hole to experience a deep and twisting narrative unlike any other.

MeriStation - 8.5/10

...though improved in many ways, Danganronpa 2 pleases fans of visual novels, mystery games and murder trials like in Phoenix Wright. Its tempo may despair to fewer patients, but this is like an adventure game: a genre with its own rules on how to behave, so that those who come for the first time to this type of experience must accept its bases as they are. The trials have improved and expanded. And the opening scenarios to aid the contrast with the tension and darkness of history, slow but well told and with a distinct cast of characters in a more exotic location. A good choice considering the above here, and one of those curiosities cataloged here in the West with 999 or Virtue's Last Reward, who knows, as just engaging those who have never tried a title of this kind, whose use dialogues, music and images makes it an immersive genre with stories like few others.

Note: This review is in Spanish. Edited translation slightly to help the summary read easier.

CalmDownTom - 4/5

It’s the strength of the storytelling that makes Danganronpa 2 a veritable tour-de-force, even with its somewhat quirky gameplay mechanics. The duology sits amongst the best of the Vita’s library, and if you have one then it’s a no-brainer. For a genre that seems fairly passive it is extremely involving and engaging. So give in to despair?

GameCritics - 9/10 (The rating's invisible. Right at the end of the review.)

Although I'm desperate to celebrate the juiciest bits of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, the best I can do in this review is to give it my highest possible recommendation. It's a must-play for Visual Novel fans, and those who enjoyed the first year of the deadliest high school ever will find that the return trip is even better. Monokuma might be an absolute bastard, but if his games keep being this good, he's welcome to re-enroll me any time.
[/quote]

Multiplayer.it - 8.2/10

Danganronpa 2 is bigger and better than Trigger Happy Havoc, but it falls to the very same conditions: you need to like both visual novels and creepy stories. If possible, Danganronpa 2 is even darker and disturbing and it's okay if you get pissed because your favourite character has just died: it means that Spike Chunsoft delivered once again on the narrative front.

Note: The review is in Italian.

RPG Fan - 85%

Ultimately, if you're a fan of visual novels, Danganronpa 2 is a can't-miss title. There are significant issues introduced, but they're balanced enough by the solid gameplay. I would recommend playing the excellent first game in the series before tacking Danganronpa 2, but if you haven't already plunked down the cash, this is an adventure into despair worth taking.

3DJuegos - 8/10

The same magnificent and gorgeous adventure game that captivated thousands of PSP and PS Vita users in the original form. Fantastic game design, storytelling and protagonists.

Note: This review is in Spanish.

Current Metacritic score is 85

As more reviews come out I will try to stay updated and put all the links in this post.
Last edited by Mirai on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

serph63
Geo Master
Geo Master

Re: Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Reviews

Postby serph63 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 pm

My god.. A+ :!:
And this is just the first review. C:

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I knew the game was going to do good here, but not this good 8-)
Spoiler:

PSN: ninja-star95
NNID: AKninja95
Twitter: @MKWhopper
(Feel free to add me)

SupeMastodonicRoboMechPenisZetsuCyberBear

-Elston

burai97
Majin
Majin

Postby burai97 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 pm

hopefully it continues to do this good.

blizdi
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby blizdi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Zetsubear wrote:I knew the game was going to do good here, but not this good 8-)

Well... I mean, Danganronpa 2 IS considered to be objectively the better game...
Hanamura will end your suffering!

kurobara
Majin
Majin

Postby kurobara » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm going to have a hard time waiting for my limited edition copy to come when NISA starts shipping them out.

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:12 pm

blizdi wrote:
Zetsubear wrote:I knew the game was going to do good here, but not this good 8-)

Well... I mean, Danganronpa 2 IS considered to be objectively the better game...

True. I meant perfect score wise. I was picturing the game getting solid 9's and whatnot
Spoiler:

(Feel free to add me)

-Elston

Seyser Koze
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Seyser Koze » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Mirai wrote:TechnologyTell

Who?

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Seyser Koze wrote:
Mirai wrote:TechnologyTell

Who?

/shrug
Spoiler:

(Feel free to add me)

-Elston

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 am

I'll wait until some big name reviewer reviews this game over some obscure no name site.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:15 am

Alice Twilight wrote:I'll wait until some big name reviewer reviews this game over some obscure no name site.

This. Opinions are opinions, but I want to see what the big name review sites say.

blizdi
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby blizdi » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:54 am

lopez wrote:
Alice Twilight wrote:I'll wait until some big name reviewer reviews this game over some obscure no name site.

This. Opinions are opinions, but I want to see what the big name review sites say.

Too Linear
Bad depiction of women
Ending seemed forced
Not enough variation

6/10 IT's A MASTERPIECE
Hanamura will end your suffering!

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:06 am

lopez wrote:

Big name review sites are dodgy too.
I hope you don't let them form your own opinions for you.

I more or less want to see what IGN give it a 2/10 because its Japanese. Or a 7/10 because they like Nisa's Ameracanized script.
Last edited by Alice Twilight on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:08 am

Alice Twilight wrote:
lopez wrote:

I hope you don'tet them form your own opinions for you.

I more or less want to see what IGN give it a 2/10 because its Japanese.

Well they gave the first game an 8.5, so I imagine at least a 9 for DR2.

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:10 am

Alice Twilight wrote:
lopez wrote:

I hope you don't let them form your own opinions for you.

I more or less want to see what IGN give it a 2/10 because its Japanese

Why the bloody hell would they give DR2 a 2.0/10 if the first one got a 8.5/10 if DR2 is obviously the better game? Image
Spoiler:

(Feel free to add me)

-Elston

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”