Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Reviews

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Reviews

Postby ZekeFreek » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Still a generally positive review that probably isn't worth the trouble of committing murder over.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

serph63
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby serph63 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 am

ZekeFreek wrote:Still a generally positive review that probably isn't worth the trouble of committing murder over.

Ah, don't worry.
http://www.rpgsite.net/review/3818-dang ... air-review

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is the definitive Danganronpa experience. Though players absolutely have to play its predecessor to fully grasp the overall narrative, it is everything one would hope a sequel should be. This is a title that takes a proven formula and improves upon it in numerous ways, from the gameplay to the vastly superior narrative. You’ll constantly scratch your head, drop your jaw, laugh out loud, and feel noticeably sad. You’ll connect with each character in a notable way, allowing each death to have far more weight than those in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. It instantly catapults itself into the Vita’s elite, as its narrative is simply that great. If you’re a fan of heavily story-driven titles, you’d be doing yourself a grave injustice not giving this one a shot.

Game Informer - 8/10

If you enjoyed the first entry, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play Goodbye Despair. If you who weren't enamored with it, you won't find anything here to change your mind. Nonetheless, you still won't find a series out there that messes with your head like Danganronpa. It sticks with you long after you've watched the credits roll.

By the way, the current Metacritic score is 83.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks for all the new reviews guys, the first post has been updated.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:14 am

Two more, and they cancel each other out and keep the Metacritic score at 83:

ZTGD - 9/10

Still, at the end of the day, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is one of the most fun and exciting visual novel games on the market. While the PlayStation platform may never get their hands on the Ace Attorney series, I believe Danganronpa has reached a similar level of prestige and quality.

Hell, with a few more titles of this caliber under their belt, they might even surpass them.

Push Square - 8/10

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is a superb sequel that successfully builds upon its predecessor's already addictive formula. By introducing a totally different setting and a host of new systems, it's able to keep proceedings feeling both fresh and familiarly engaging. If you haven't dipped into the first game, you're better off starting there, but play both titles in sequence, and you'll experience what is possibly the most gripping tale to grace Sony's portable device.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks CTOONfan1, first post updated.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 pm

3 more reviews have been released:

Gizorama- 9/10

While you may run into a few frustrations during the class trials, they do very little to take away from the rest of the game. Far more than just a visual novel, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is an experience and a ride crafted with great care that will have you fascinated as you watch the battle between hope and despair.

DigitallyDownloaded- 10/10 :D

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is every bit the worthy sequel to one of my favourite games ever created. Smart ideas paired up with smart writing and an enthralling mystery make for another true game of the year contender.

Vandal- 8.6/10

It pretty much improves everything we didn't like about the first episode. If you like the concept or if you enjoyed the first Danganronpa, this definitely deserves your time and money.

Note: This review is in Spanish

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Eurogamer Italy - 8/10

If you love graphic novels and have never played the PSP, Android, or iOS versions of Danganronpa 2 in 2012, I strongly recommend the purchase of this port for the Vita, also to encourage the good work of those who continue to believe in distribution in the West for these kinds of games.

Note: This review is in Italian.

God is a Geek - 9/10

If you even remotely enjoy great stories and narratives, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is an absolute must-buy. The final segment in particular is magical. When you read about this series, Zero Escape meets Persona meets Ace Attorney gets thrown around a lot. I can safely say that it has earned a position next to those games.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Playstation LifeStyle - 9/10

Danganronpa 2 is a masterful piece of dark mystery storytelling, with a focus on exploring morally ambiguous facets of the psyche. Each trial will drive you to the realization that despair and hope are not divergent paths, but rather a single path that shares this duality. Who can you trust? Who is capable of committing murder? What does it all mean? If you own a Vita, you owe it to yourself to play both Danganronpa titles. Well, what are you waiting for? Go on, throw yourself down the rabbit hole to experience a deep and twisting narrative unlike any other.

MeriStation - 8.5/10

...though improved in many ways, Danganronpa 2 pleases fans of visual novels, mystery games and murder trials like in Phoenix Wright. Its tempo may despair to fewer patients, but this is like an adventure game: a genre with its own rules on how to behave, so that those who come for the first time to this type of experience must accept its bases as they are. The trials have improved and expanded. And the opening scenarios to aid the contrast with the tension and darkness of history, slow but well told and with a distinct cast of characters in a more exotic location. A good choice considering the above here, and one of those curiosities cataloged here in the West with 999 or Virtue's Last Reward, who knows, as just engaging those who have never tried a title of this kind, whose use dialogues, music and images makes it an immersive genre with stories like few others.

Note: This review is in Spanish. Edited translation slightly to help the summary read easier.

CalmDownTom - 4/5

It’s the strength of the storytelling that makes Danganronpa 2 a veritable tour-de-force, even with its somewhat quirky gameplay mechanics. The duology sits amongst the best of the Vita’s library, and if you have one then it’s a no-brainer. For a genre that seems fairly passive it is extremely involving and engaging. So give in to despair?

serph63
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby serph63 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm

goddamit where are all of the 11/10?!

Ainara
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Ainara » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:30 am

I could translate the Spanish review if someone really wanted to read it, but most of it is a very wordy summary of the mechanics of the game. Overall, it thinks the gameplay is better than the first one, and the story is better told.
Mahiru Koizumi is love, Mahiru Koizumi is life.
Please forgive my English if it ever sounds weird!

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks again CTOONfan1! First post updated.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Just keeping up with Metacritic. I really want this game to be scored better than the first one (those late negative reviews really weighed it down). Being stuck at 85 for so long is a good sign, at least.

GameCritics - 9/10 (The rating's invisible. Right at the end of the review.)

Although I'm desperate to celebrate the juiciest bits of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, the best I can do in this review is to give it my highest possible recommendation. It's a must-play for Visual Novel fans, and those who enjoyed the first year of the deadliest high school ever will find that the return trip is even better. Monokuma might be an absolute bastard, but if his games keep being this good, he's welcome to re-enroll me any time.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Multiplayer.it - 8.2/10

Danganronpa 2 is bigger and better than Trigger Happy Havoc, but it falls to the very same conditions: you need to like both visual novels and creepy stories. If possible, Danganronpa 2 is even darker and disturbing and it's okay if you get pissed because your favourite character has just died: it means that Spike Chunsoft delivered once again on the narrative front.

Note: The review is in Italian.

RPG Fan - 85%

Ultimately, if you're a fan of visual novels, Danganronpa 2 is a can't-miss title. There are significant issues introduced, but they're balanced enough by the solid gameplay. I would recommend playing the excellent first game in the series before tacking Danganronpa 2, but if you haven't already plunked down the cash, this is an adventure into despair worth taking.

3DJuegos - 8/10

The same magnificent and gorgeous adventure game that captivated thousands of PSP and PS Vita users in the original form. Fantastic game design, storytelling and protagonists.

Note: This review is in Spanish.

I'm just grabbing the Metacritic summary for the foreign ones now. A bit easier for me.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 pm

CTOONfan1 wrote:I'm just grabbing the Metacritic summary for the foreign ones now. A bit easier for me.

Not a problem as that's what I do as well, since I don't understand these languages and metacritc summary would be much better than a Google translation.

Updated first post again with new reviews so thanks again for that CTOONfan1.

Also just to note that the RPGFan reviewer also reviewed DR1 which is rated higher than SDR2, so it seems not everybody will prefer SDR2 over DR1.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”