Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 6/24/16 (NA)

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 6/24/16 (NA)

Postby redsilversnake » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 pm

lopez wrote:It seems like an easy/simple way to incentize potential buyers. Many times the DLC bonuses are just that, bonuses. It shouldn't be the end of the world if someone didn't get to use special costume Y or early-game weapon Z, right?

It's still frustrating when you see something you think is really cool, but are unable to get it 'cause you'd have to, say, go to Best Buy when the nearest one is an hour-long drive from where you live, and on top of that, it's never gonna be available for purchase later.
I've said this before, but such a system, by its very nature, can never benefit more than a small number of consumers. And just because it's only one bit of bullshit in the mountain of bullshit that is the video game industry doesn't mean it's not worth scrutiny.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:55 pm

What about online shopping/shipping? Most retailers offer the same pre-order incentives to online customers as well and many offer a free shipping option.

Also, pre-ordering in general is targeted more toward "on the fence" buyers who need that extra nudge and early-adopters. These incentives don't typically work on those who were going to wait for a price drop and/or sale in the first place.

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm

lopez wrote:What about online shopping/shipping? Most retailers offer the same pre-order incentives to online customers as well and many offer a free shipping option.

I have no idea which retailers you're talking about, 'cause none of the ones I can think of have free shipping.
GameStop? Nope, gotta pay shipping and sales tax.
Amazon? Same, unless you pay 100 USD for Prime.
Never bought from Best Buy online, but I doubt they've ever done free shipping, outside of maybe special offers or something.

Also, pre-ordering in general is targeted more toward "on the fence" buyers who need that extra nudge and early-adopters. These incentives don't typically work on those who were going to wait for a price drop and/or sale in the first place.

You think way too highly of publishers if you believe pre-ordering is that innocuous. Pre-orders are only a thing to get consumers to commit before hearing too many impressions of a game; these bonuses are just supposed to play into that. If anything, all of this simply shows how pathetically desperate publishers are for what are probably not even big bumps in their bottom line.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 pm

For big publishers, it's all about launch week sales.
Anything past that doesn't matter.
They've driven themselves into a rut of everything having to be a massive success or they lose tons of money. There's no middle-ground to them.
Like the infamous Tomb Raider not fulfilling Squeenix's expectations at 4 million copies.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:28 pm

For me, when it comes to pre-orders I like being able to throw down $10-$20 in advance and pay the rest later on when I go to pick up the game. That's why I pre-order games.

Any incentive or bonus I get for pre-ordering from certain retailer is just that, a bonus.

A physical bonus like a Music CD in one thing, but when it comes to DLC I'm with everyone else in agreeing that it's a shitty practice.

Did I ever mention I almost got banned for trying to peddle my pre-order DLC back in the day lol?

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:52 am

Best Buy does have free shipping if you're buying more than $35, at least in the US, and I've at least once ordered something from the GameStop store in a store and gotten free shipping as a result, though that may not be the rule.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:34 pm

redsilversnake wrote:
lopez wrote:What about online shopping/shipping? Most retailers offer the same pre-order incentives to online customers as well and many offer a free shipping option.

I have no idea which retailers you're talking about, 'cause none of the ones I can think of have free shipping.
GameStop? Nope, gotta pay shipping and sales tax.
Amazon? Same, unless you pay 100 USD for Prime.
Never bought from Best Buy online, but I doubt they've ever done free shipping, outside of maybe special offers or something.

You think way too highly of publishers if you believe pre-ordering is that innocuous. Pre-orders are only a thing to get consumers to commit before hearing too many impressions of a game; these bonuses are just supposed to play into that. If anything, all of this simply shows how pathetically desperate publishers are for what are probably not even big bumps in their bottom line.

Amazon has a free shipping option if you spend ~$50 (I think it went up fairly recently). Gamestop has a similar option if you spend ~$35 IIRC, though now they have this arbitrary $1 charge per item....I don't even... :roll: Walmart and Target also have spend X and get free shipping options, though I rarely use them since they rarely have good deals.

Anyways, the point is these retailers, among others like Newegg, Fry's Electronics, Most Wanted Games and others I can't remember off the top of my head, do have the options, you just have to make a purchase over a certain retailer specific target price. Also, the other more important point is that they offer the same/similar pre-order bonuses to online shoppers. Here's a random example for Gamestop. Here's a copy paste of the key part:

Gamestop Online wrote:Online Customers: Code will be emailed within 2 business days after your order ships.

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: Code will be printed on your receipt at time of purchase.

Whether a customer wants to use these retailers or not due to their own personal biases is another issue, but what matters is that online shopping is a lot more pro-consumer than diehard brick & mortars may want to believe.

@Bonuses

That is definitely a different perspective on the issue, but I'd argue it's more a marketing tool than a desperate act. With how highly saturated the gaming market is and how rampant price drops/sales and emulating/hacking are, publishers need more ways to attract consumers. I mean, this expands to more than just arbitrary DLC or freebies like posters, but toward things like special/collector's editions with "limited" quantities and inflated price points. These are bells & whistles, plain and simple, which harkens back to my point of:

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:53 am

Late notice, but Gamestop and Amazon are (still?) taking pre-orders for the recently announced limited edition, which is a couple stickers, an artbook and mini OST.

Also FYI, but Atlus is localizing the game.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:14 pm

lopez wrote:Also FYI, but Atlus is localizing the game.

Just want to clarify this statement because it's pretty misleading. Atlus is translating the script, Nintendo is still the publisher. With how much censorship has already reared its ugly head, I'd rather Atlus didn't take any of the blame for that if they don't have to.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:02 pm

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Shikan Raider
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Shikan Raider » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:54 am

I was done with the game anyway, but watching the recently released European trailers for the game made me just........ I have no words anymore.

Spoiler:
Now Playing: Princess Evangile W Happiness (PC), D.S. -Dal Segno- (PC),
Omega Quintet (PS4), Senran Kagura Estival Versus (PS4)

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:31 pm

I was done when they revealed it wasn't a crossover, but more an idol game with FE references.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:54 pm

It's still an SMT game at its core, apparently.
This also means it'll wipe the floor with you if you're not at the top of your game.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Scumbadsoldier
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Scumbadsoldier » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Shikan Raider wrote:I was done with the game anyway, but watching the recently released European trailers for the game made me just........ I have no words anymore.

Spoiler:

Fucking embarrassing.

Return to “General Chat”