iOS/Android/Mobile Games

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

iOS/Android/Mobile Games

Postby Seventh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:45 pm

So after debating long and hard about whether or not I should make this topic, I figured what the heck, can't do any harm.

We have threads for pretty much every console right now - but what about our phones? I don't know about you guys, but I find myself in situations a lot of the time where I can't really bust out my Vita (if I even have it on me) without it being incredibly inappropriate, or I only have like one or two minutes to mess around and play something. So what do I do? I bust out my phone!

So let's talk about our favorite games on these little machines. I recently discovered Giant Boulder of Death and Punch Quest, and I've been enjoying them (particularly the former) quite a bit. I used to be big on Mobage-type games (even played, if you can call that playing, on some of the Japanese ones like [email protected] Cinderella Girls and BRS Arcana before it shut down), but it got to where it stopped being fun when you hit the "this is where free players can't have fun anymore, start paying" wall.

But enough about me! What do you guys like to play on your phones?
Last edited by Seventh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: iPhone Games

Postby Wdog-999 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 pm

What are Mobage-type games?

Anyway, I pretty much just play Temple Run 2. I completed all of the objectives on my phone except the last three (they're all major grinds), so I'm going back through on my iPod Touch 5. Overall, it's much easier than the first game, even disregarding the ability to resurrect yourself using gems (those things pile up quickly once you increase the pickup spawn rate to its highest). The game just feels a lot more forgiving and it doesn't have those stupid rock platforms that you can only tilt so much on.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Mobage games would be stuff like Reign of Dragons, Rage of Bahamut, or as I mentioned, [email protected] Cinderella Girls, Black Rock Shooter Arcana, and so on. There are also types that add in gameplay elements beyond simply grinding like Puzzle and Dragons or Fantasica, the former being like Bejeweled and the latter being part tower defense. They're basically games where you collect cards, power them up, and do stuff with them, but ultimately it's a lure for you to actually start using real money so you have better cards, and I've seen people spend hundreds of dollars on these games. It's nuts. You can get a lot of time out of them if you choose to opt out of paying, but there'll eventually be a point - a wall you'll hit - where you can't get better without paying.

And Temple Run's a good one! I prefer the first one, I wasn't big on all the extra stuff they added in the sequels/spinoffs, but it's all good.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:38 pm

I haven't played any iPhone games for a long time. The last couple I remember playing were Chaos Rings (quite good), Rivers & Hills (not too bad) and Plants vs. Zombies (always fun :) ).

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 pm

I mostly just play otome games on my iPod. I think I have some puzzle games too.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:05 pm

The only mobile phone game I have played was Ayakashi Ghost Guild. It was an alright card collection type of game. Although, I only played it for around a week. I pretty much only got it for the character designs, and if it wasn't for all the space that it takes up just to download it, I would have probably kept it instead of deleting it.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm a mobage addict lol, although I've stopped playing anything seriously except Puzzle & Dragons. The neat thing about PAD is that there isn't really a wall for free players, you just need to have a plan and do your research. Plus, there's no "premium-only" features since the only thing you can buy is magic stones, and those you also earn in-game and receive for free during events.

You might want to rename the post "Smartphone games" though, since Android does technically exist too :P

I also have this funny game called Oregon Whale. It was designed by a guy who worked at the same company as me, so he got all our coworkers to playtest it lol. It's pretty simple, you are a whale-driven wagon swimming through the seas, and you have to jump over or dive under obstacles like reefs, oil tankers, anchors, naval mines, etc. Eating a pie makes you invincible for a short period of time! When you die, it always lists a cause of death, reminiscent of Oregon Trail. Costs $0.99.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Puzzle and Dragons is alright I suppose. Admittedly, I spent more time on a clone (Jewel Dragon) so now that I finally have THAT on my phone, I haven't put too much time into it. I'll get Puzzle and Dragons Z if it releases overseas though.

Though if P&D is what you play "seriously" does that mean you've got other stuff you don't play seriously? I check into that and Dino Dominion every so often myself.

I figured iPhone games made sense more since it's a separate console from Android, like PSV is different than 3DS and all. Does that make sense, or is the mobile crowd here so small that the separating isn't worth it?

Sounds interesting! I might look it up if I've got any spare cash after I buy my family all their presents. Yeah, I'm one of those later shoppers.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Meh, not that there isn't a difference, but a lot of the more popular games are on both platforms, so there isn't really "console exclusivity" that warrants separation, but I don't have an Android anyway so I don't care lol.

The other games I used to play are Legend of the Cryptids (still get my dailies but don't really do much else), Galaxy Saga (now officially ended), and Immortalis. I kinda sorta play Chaos Drive, but mostly I just bash people during guild battles and spend my energy/attack when appropriate, use up my tickets, etc.

FiveOVER
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby FiveOVER » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't touch ios games much. But it's only vnds on android for me.
PSN: FIVE_Overs

feza
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby feza » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:58 pm

[i]Zombies, Run![/i] Not much game about it, it is story, zombie apocalypse, being told when running, changing between story and the owners music. And then there is a small base builder minigame.

Many of the casual games such as, [i]Plants vs Zombies, Peggle, Tiny Wings[/i] and [i]Candy Crush[/i].

Besides that my group and me at the university made a "fitness game" app for windows phone this semester. The game was a simple pong like game, it is the input which is unique. To move the paddle right you have to step to the right, to move left you have to step to the left, tilting the phone does not work. A lot of the old school arcade games can work with this input or small tweaks. A friend from the group and I plan to clean up the input code and make it less buggy then publish a few games for free in the summer vacation :)

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:50 am

I've got some iphone games:Temple Run 2, Cooking Dash, Plants Vs. Zombies are some of my favorites.

I also have some games that were on consoles too like: TWEWY, Lunar: SST, Pheonix Wright Trilogy, and Ghost Trick. Hoping to get FFV soon.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

The iOS/Android Gaming Discussion Topic

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 am

I'm making this topic to discuss games released for iOS and Android platforms. While I know these platforms aren't popular with everybody, it is with a couple of people, so be civil and don't harass anybody if they show support for these platforms. Be warned.

I'm getting an iPad Air this week, since Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru) pushed me for it, but I'm looking for more visual novels or iOS exclusives that are interesting enough for someone relatively new to the platform. I've heard of The Room, Year Walk and Device6 so far. Are there other interesting games?

stealth20k
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: The iOS/Android Gaming Discussion Topic

Postby stealth20k » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:03 am

Chaos Rings is the first and only IOS game I have really liked.
Twitter - @Stealth___

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: The iOS/Android Gaming Discussion Topic

Postby Shizuka » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:09 am

That was the reason why I bought my iPod Touch three years ago, but I ended up not getting the game.

Return to “General Chat”