Visual Novel and Dating-Sim Discussion Topic

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Visual Novel and Dating-Sim Discussion Topic

Postby Daverost » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Eiyuu*Senki is out for NA.

Sony's got a 10% discount code up for the week, too, so you can use that to knock a few bucks off the price.

I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Dangit! DX Bought the game earlier, so bleh.

That aside, I'm enjoying it thus far. It's quite... silly. XD
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Despite not being interested in Clannad, I'd say 50$ for a digital only release is completely bonkers.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:32 pm

xizro345 wrote:Despite not being interested in Clannad, I'd say 50$ for a digital only release is completely bonkers.

for how much you get out of the game I'd say it isn't
it's a VERY long Visual Novel
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

MiKandiJapan
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MiKandiJapan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Rednal wrote:I'm not sure you'll be able to raise that much, but I'll probably back it - it does seem like an interesting VN, at least. XD

Rednal, a few hours ago we wrapped up an impromptu AMA on Reddit. If you're interested, please have a look.

https://redd.it/3u63a1

But yes, on the topic of budget, we're exploring ways to bring it down without compromising the quality of the translation. Thanks again!

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:05 am

Nuhji wrote:

That's irrelevant I'd say. It's a price for a physical game, not a digital game, also on the worst platform on the planet (Steam).

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 am

MiKandiJapan wrote:Rednal, a few hours ago we wrapped up an impromptu AMA on Reddit. If you're interested, please have a look.

https://redd.it/3u63a1

But yes, on the topic of budget, we're exploring ways to bring it down without compromising the quality of the translation. Thanks again!

*Nods* I've backed a number of different projects on Kickstarter, so my personal advice...

1) Try to commit to an update schedule of every 2 weeks after the campaign ends, and stick with it. Even if it's as simple as "things continue to go according to our schedule", people really appreciate it if you stay in touch. Mention it on your campaign page if you plan to do this. Taking the money and then vanishing for a couple of months while you work makes people worried.

2) I also recommend including a rough list of things you're doing and how complete they are. For example, "Translation: 23% (+10% from last update). Proofreading and Editing: 12% (+7% from last update)." And so on, with whatever the numbers and timetable actually are. This helps backers get a better sense of how much work is actually being done, and more importantly, it sets their expectations. One thing we've learned about Kickstarters is that they tend to take longer than the developers expect, too... so a visual representation of your progress really does help.

2a) Speaking of that, give yourself lots of extra time. However long you think you need to do this, add at least 25%, then explain to your backers that you think you can get it done faster and will ship it early if you do, but have allotted extra time to deal with unexpected events and, hopefully, avoid any real delays. This, combined with the above tips, should help you establish trust, and that's vital both during this campaign (for getting people to pledge) and afterwards (if you want to make this a regular thing). If you still have delays, alert the backers as early as possible, telling them the revised timetable and emphasizing what's actively getting done at the moment. Some people will always gripe a bit, but the better your communication is, the more forgiving your backers will be.

3) For the KS campaign itself, show off the most polished gameplay footage you possibly can. Ideally, this would have English text inside the game's text boxes (not simply an additional layer being displayed over the Japanese text). The more professional and complete your gameplay videos and screenshots look, the better.

4) Try to emphasize the highlights of the game - dramatic moments, comedy moments, and so on. If you make people laugh with the video, they're more likely to pledge.
Last edited by Rednal on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:10 pm

A lot of visual novels went on sale during the current Steam Autumn Sale. Grisaia is 50% off again, I might get it this time around.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:13 pm

xizro345 wrote:
Nuhji wrote:

That's irrelevant I'd say. It's a price for a physical game, not a digital game, also on the worst platform on the planet (Steam).

Physical and digital prices being the same is kind of common, if I didn't have a physical copy I would jump on this price in a heartbeat (on a side note those who went for digital during the KS got it cheaper, so a cheaper option did exist)
and since when is steam the worst and why? :o

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:34 pm

It's a matter for another discussion, but let's say the less I buy on Steam, the better. I don't like giving away ownership rights and hoping Valve never decides to change its policies. Sadly most VNs are only sold there (save for the 18+ ones, but those don't interest me).

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:48 pm

xizro345 wrote:
Nuhji wrote:

The idea that the length of a game is irrelevant to its price is frankly bonkers. You're one of many to say this. A game that's 10x as long as another similar game is worth 10x the price--provided that quality is similar. The added value of a physical copy is the value of the media it's printed on--usually about $5 if it has a nice manual. If everyone decides that VNs aren't worth more than $10, then all we're going to get is cheap original English VNs like the Sakura series--which would essentially mean the death of the medium.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:17 pm

magusgs wrote:If everyone decides that VNs aren't worth more than $10, then all we're going to get is cheap original English VNs like the Sakura series--which would essentially mean the death of the medium.
Do not want.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:41 pm

magusgs wrote:The idea that the length of a game is irrelevant to its price is frankly bonkers. You're one of many to say this. A game that's 10x as long as another similar game is worth 10x the price--provided that quality is similar. The added value of a physical copy is the value of the media it's printed on--usually about $5 if it has a nice manual. If everyone decides that VNs aren't worth more than $10, then all we're going to get is cheap original English VNs like the Sakura series--which would essentially mean the death of the medium.

Paying 50$ for a game that is tied to a service that forces you to have their client installed, that can't be copied anywhere and that can disappear if the servers are shut down is absolutely out of the question. A physical copy can exist even if Valve shuts down. And since I don't live in the US, the whole "you pay for a license" stuff doesn't really work in EU. With that price I expect a physical release.

I'm only getting the VNs/kinetic novels that I absolutely feel I want to play from Sekai Priject (the fault series being one) because I'll never fully support a publisher that goes against my interests by publishing a game on a platform that actively has DRM on most of its titles.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:56 pm

xizro345 wrote:
magusgs wrote:The idea that the length of a game is irrelevant to its price is frankly bonkers. You're one of many to say this. A game that's 10x as long as another similar game is worth 10x the price--provided that quality is similar. The added value of a physical copy is the value of the media it's printed on--usually about $5 if it has a nice manual. If everyone decides that VNs aren't worth more than $10, then all we're going to get is cheap original English VNs like the Sakura series--which would essentially mean the death of the medium.

Paying 50$ for a game that is tied to a service that forces you to have their client installed, that can't be copied anywhere and that can disappear if the servers are shut down is absolutely out of the question. A physical copy can exist even if Valve shuts down. And since I don't live in the US, the whole "you pay for a license" stuff doesn't really work in EU. With that price I expect a physical release.

I'm only getting the VNs/kinetic novels that I absolutely feel I want to play from Sekai Priject (the fault series being one) because I'll never fully support a publisher that goes against my interests by publishing a game on a platform that actively has DRM on most of its titles.

actually steam doesn't force the use of it as a DRM from what I've heard so games on steam CAN be without DRM (can't think of one off the top of my head, but I remember an article about a game that was like this)

and physical copies can still end up being tied to a service, for example I remember Skyrim still needing steam for PC even with a physical copy

on another note it took a lot of fan feedback to not have any DRM on the physical copy of the game that the backers are getting (of which the choice was not up to Sekai Project themselves)

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:02 pm

I know the physical copy of Clannad has no DRM. However, unless a digital copy has no DRM, I refuse to pay more than 10$ for it. Right now SP's only "must have" games have been the fault series for me. I'm not really interested in the other games they offer as of now, and the price for Clannad isn't helping either.

Return to “General Chat”