Visual Novel and Dating-Sim Discussion Topic

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Visual Novel and Dating-Sim Discussion Topic

Postby razisgosu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 pm

The fact that people call Steam "DRM" in this day and age is astounding. Literally all you need to do is sign in and voila, complete access to your library. Don't want to remain online? You can go offline and you still retain access to your game library. Valve has also gone on record saying that should Valve manage to shut down, they would produce a way for users to maintain their game libraries, not that this would ever happen in our lifetime, Steam as a brand would be bought up and retained instantly should Valve manage to crash and burn. Calling Steam DRM when there's real bad DRM out there from the likes of EA and Ubisoft is simply not something you should be doing.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:42 pm

This is a matter for another topic, so I'll be brief. You need their client running (unless the game on steam has no DRM, but those aren't the rule) to play the game, even in offline mode. I don't want a client. I'm not interested in Valve's cloud or Steam. By contrast, a game on GoG can be downloaded, and then you can forget about their client. You can copy the game and run anywhere else. With Steam, you can't unless you install the client.
I know VN companies are so obssessed with reverse import and piracy that they'll go into extreme modes to avoid having a game DRM-free (even Clannad, after all, is a limited print run made ages after the game came out in Japan, so they don't "lose" anything), but for me it's a major requirement.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:01 pm

I don't think Sekai Project plans to release the physical edition of Clannad unless you backed the kickstarter. So I'd say you're outta luck on ever being able to play Clannad then, unless you can find one on ebay years down the line.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 am

Reading over my 60K word Visual Novel script for the 3rd time -_-

MiKandiJapan
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MiKandiJapan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:37 am

Rednal wrote:
MiKandiJapan wrote:Rednal, a few hours ago we wrapped up an impromptu AMA on Reddit. If you're interested, please have a look.

https://redd.it/3u63a1

But yes, on the topic of budget, we're exploring ways to bring it down without compromising the quality of the translation. Thanks again!

*Nods* I've backed a number of different projects on Kickstarter, so my personal advice...

1) Try to commit to an update schedule of every 2 weeks after the campaign ends, and stick with it. Even if it's as simple as "things continue to go according to our schedule", people really appreciate it if you stay in touch. Mention it on your campaign page if you plan to do this. Taking the money and then vanishing for a couple of months while you work makes people worried.

2) I also recommend including a rough list of things you're doing and how complete they are. For example, "Translation: 23% (+10% from last update). Proofreading and Editing: 12% (+7% from last update)." And so on, with whatever the numbers and timetable actually are. This helps backers get a better sense of how much work is actually being done, and more importantly, it sets their expectations. One thing we've learned about Kickstarters is that they tend to take longer than the developers expect, too... so a visual representation of your progress really does help.

2a) Speaking of that, give yourself lots of extra time. However long you think you need to do this, add at least 25%, then explain to your backers that you think you can get it done faster and will ship it early if you do, but have allotted extra time to deal with unexpected events and, hopefully, avoid any real delays. This, combined with the above tips, should help you establish trust, and that's vital both during this campaign (for getting people to pledge) and afterwards (if you want to make this a regular thing). If you still have delays, alert the backers as early as possible, telling them the revised timetable and emphasizing what's actively getting done at the moment. Some people will always gripe a bit, but the better your communication is, the more forgiving your backers will be.

3) For the KS campaign itself, show off the most polished gameplay footage you possibly can. Ideally, this would have English text inside the game's text boxes (not simply an additional layer being displayed over the Japanese text). The more professional and complete your gameplay videos and screenshots look, the better.

4) Try to emphasize the highlights of the game - dramatic moments, comedy moments, and so on. If you make people laugh with the video, they're more likely to pledge.

Hi Rednal!
Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to say thanks for the super advice about the Kickstarter.

To bring you (and everyone) up to speed, we have slashed the Kickstarter goal to 120k (down from 170k)! We're reworking some of the rewards, dropped one translation pass, and renegotiated translation costs. This Friday (Dec. 4th), the Kickstarter launch date will be announced! We've built up the Vampire Princess Army and our momentum is still humming along. The time for battle is nigh! :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your support!
Last edited by MiKandiJapan on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:39 am

MiKandiJapan wrote:
Hi Rednal!
Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to say thanks for the super advice about the Kickstarter.

To bring you (and everyone) up to speed, we have slashed the Kickstarter goal to 120k (down from 170k). We're reworking some of the rewards, dropped one translation pass, and renegotiated on translation costs. This Friday (Dec. 3rd), the Kickstarter launch date will be announced! We've built up the Vampire Princess Army and our momentum is still humming along. The time for battle is nigh! :mrgreen:

$120K sounds realistic, and is definitely a smart move on your part. There's nothing that motivates a campaign quite like success, so the easier and earlier your campaign succeeds, the better off you're going to be. ^^ Thanks for keeping us informed, and I'll be looking forward to the launch!
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

MiKandiJapan
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MiKandiJapan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Rednal wrote:
MiKandiJapan wrote:
Hi Rednal!

To bring you (and everyone) up to speed, we have slashed the Kickstarter goal to 120k (down from 170k). We're reworking some of the rewards, dropped one translation pass, and renegotiated on translation costs. This Friday (Dec. 4th), the Kickstarter launch date will be announced! We've built up the Vampire Princess Army and our momentum is still humming along. The time for battle is nigh! :mrgreen:

$120K sounds realistic, and is definitely a smart move on your part. There's nothing that motivates a campaign quite like success, so the easier and earlier your campaign succeeds, the better off you're going to be. ^^ Thanks for keeping us informed, and I'll be looking forward to the launch!

8-)

*High-Five*

Quick date correction (oops): Friday December 4th!

MiKandiJapan
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MiKandiJapan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:57 am

Good News Everyone!

Pending approval of Kickstarter, we plan to launch the "Libra of the Vampire Princess" campaign on December 10, 2015.

We know many have been anxiously awaiting this news (we have, too)! All in all, we're at a point where we (MiKandi Japan and XERO) feel the project has reached our target for supporters and momentum. So, the time has come to "put the pedal to the metal" and steamroll through the holiday season to victory!

This is a crucial time, so please stay tuned for more announcements!

Ever thankful for your support,

MiKandi Japan and XERO

PS: If you haven't caught the preview of our campaign, we urge you to stop by our Prefundia page (please see signature) and check out all the goodies! We have quite a few surprises to be revealed on launch day, too. Here we go!

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Be careful not to run into Root Double's Kickstarter from Sekai Project, they just shared the Prefundia page today.

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:13 am

PS: If you haven't caught the preview of our campaign, we urge you to stop by our Prefundia page (please see signature) and check out all the goodies! We have quite a few surprises to be revealed on launch day, too. Here we go!

If it's something you may share with us: will the VITA version be available as a stretch goal or included in the base goal? Have you received SONY's approval?

MiKandiJapan
Vassal
Vassal

Postby MiKandiJapan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Shizuka wrote:Be careful not to run into Root Double's Kickstarter from Sekai Project, they just shared the Prefundia page today.

We hope not to overlap. Best of luck to them! More VN's to the West!

NewGuy wrote:

If it's something you may share with us: will the VITA version be available as a stretch goal or included in the base goal? Have you received SONY's approval?

Stretch goal is planned as of right now. VITA approval from SONY is still pending, but in addition, we've been talking with one marketplace regarding VITA distribution should we get approved. We're hopeful!

BTW... 5 MORE DAYS UNTIL LAUNCH! ^__^

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:05 pm

VITA approval from SONY is still pending, but in addition, we've been talking with one marketplace regarding VITA distribution should we get approved. We're hopeful!

Great :D . Have you heard of LimitedRunGames? They make, as the name implies, limited physical runs of VITA and PS4 games. Maybe they could be of help to you, since you are also aiming at a physical VITA release. http://www.limitedrungames.com/pages/about-us

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Welp, I decided to get Fate Stay Night since I saw it on Amazon for $65 and I feel like we won't be seeing a Heaven's Feel series for a while. Hopefully, the game and the English patch both work on Windows 10. I do have an XP computer if they don't, but I really don't wanna have to pull that out. >_>
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Wdog-999 wrote:Welp, I decided to get Fate Stay Night since I saw it on Amazon for $65 and I feel like we won't be seeing a Heaven's Feel series for a while. Hopefully, the game and the English patch both work on Windows 10. I do have an XP computer if they don't, but I really don't wanna have to pull that out. >_>

well they are supposedly making a movie of it xD
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 pm

I feel like that would end badly or at least be compressed to all hell. I mean, there's an UNW movie as well, but then they went and adapted it into a 26-episode series where some of the episodes are double-length. Granted, the UBW movie may have skimmed over the common route to a large extent if not outright skipped it for all I know, that's a hell of a lot to put in a movie unless you're doing a multiparter or a really long movie.

Besides, they always say the book is better than the movie anyway. :P

Also, Nasu sex scenes. I simply have to read those to see if they're usually as bad as the examples in that one imgur gallery floating around. :lol:
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”