The Resident Evil Thread

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

The Resident Evil Thread

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm

So I remember a little ways back I mentioned in the Random Post thread how I was interested in giving Resident Evil a try again, specifically Resident Evil 4. I found the tank like controls at first to be difficult to master and extremely frustrating much like Genma Onimusha on the XBox another survival horror game which is similar to Resident Evil. Anyway as I was giving the game another honest try something interesting happened I slowly began to like it. Something about it just grew on me and I found myself totally engrossed up until my completion of the game. After completing it one more time upgrading my weaponry and decking Leon out and full badass attire I realized something I think may like Resident Evil. Like most of the people here I'm mainly an JRPG gamer so playing Resident Evil was a serious change of pace for me anyway but it was a welcomed one. Anyway soon afterwards I purchased Resident Evil 5 and of course I absolutely loved it. Right now I'm planning to pick up Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Revelations. I'm debating whether or not to get Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City since from what I hear it's really bad but it's only couple dollars used at Gamestop so I might just get it anyway.

Since we are talking about the Resident Evil series I feel it's necessary to mention what I term the SPLIT. What is the SPLIT? Well Resident Evil started off as being something of a survival horror series. You were given limited ammo and had to for the most part duck dodge and evade many of the undead nasties that you encountered. Essentially there was a high emphasis placed on using your ammunition wisely. However something happened and from what I've pieced together it started with Resident Evil 4. Beginning in Resident Evil 4 the tone of the series has slowly started to shift from being survival horror to more of action style shooter much to the disappointment and dismay of many long time Resident Evil fans. While I felt that Resident Evil 4 was the perfect balance of survival horror type scares and action I really felt that Resident Evil 5 was very much an action shooter as I was never at any point really scared throughout the game and ammo was something that I almost never ran out of. Now I've come across people who either really liked Resident Evil 5, I'm one of them, and some who really hate it and think that the series died after Code Veronica. Is Resident Evil becoming too much like an action game? To be honest I really don't care as I'm still enjoying the franchise and have been pleased with the games I've played so far in the series. Either way I've developed quiet an interest in the series and I'm definitely looking forward to any new releases.
PSN: Rena-chan43
XBOX Live: Renachan43

XCronoX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: The Resident Evil Thread

Postby XCronoX » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am

Welcome to the RE world, I found the opposite I was always low on health & ammo in the newer games as opposed to the older games were I killed everything and never tried to run by them.

The games were never scary, the older ones used cheap jump scares but before it happened the camera angle would change and tip you off that something was about to jump out at you.

Vailor
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Vailor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Well I hope the do go back to their roots and make a stellar PS4 game for us to play.
NA account
Feel free to add me
PSN: celestar

Figure Collection
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Vailor

Scumbadsoldier
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Scumbadsoldier » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Personally, I didn't hate RE5 as much as everyone else apparently did. I felt it still had tension when you were trying to manage a big crowd of enemies.

Granted, it would then put you on the back of a humvee with a mounted gun, but still.

Now, RE6 on the other hand...

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:13 pm

XCronoX wrote:The games were never scary, the older ones used cheap jump scares but before it happened the camera angle would change and tip you off that something was about to jump out at you.

Even though I haven't "played" Code Veronica and Resident Evil 2 I have watched let's plays of them and I thought Resident Evil 2 was pretty creepy especially how the Tyrant would follow you around and come back to life if you managed to incapacitate him. I'm going to try and pick up Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil for the Wii if I can find them. I'll probably pick up Resident Evil 6 this pay check since it's only about $10 new at Gamestop. I really want to play Revelations as well. I'll probably download Code Veronica X HD when I get around to it. I just wish they'd release a Resident Evil 2 HD remake. I wouldn't mind seeing one for Nemesis and Zero and Resident Evil too. On a side note has anyone here played Umbrella Chronicles? I thought it was pretty nice.

Scumbadsoldier wrote:Now, RE6 on the other hand...

Resident Evil 6 seems like an action movie or something. I didn't really care for the absorbent amount of quick time events either.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:22 pm

RE4 has always been my favorite with the REmake as my 2nd fav.

I never did like the older games mainly due to the cheesy VA and the awful control setup. I didn't enjoy RE5 all that much and RE6 was too "Hollywood" for my tastes... :?

affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2 are the greatest, most realistic and most replayable Resident Evils EVER!!!! (and the direction the series should have went.) true survival horror. but Capcom got greedy and split up the project into sequels (the original was supposed to have 20+ scenarios instead of 5, and as well as all the playable characters hidden on disc data.) and then they blame the sequel's low sales instead of themselves for releasing it SOON AFTER RE4's debut on gamecube. idiots. It's obvious there is more marketing influence in a main number (which is why RE4 outsold RECV, the original RE4.) That's even more stupid than when Konami released SH8 and the SH2/3 collector's edition the SAME MONTH!! gah, leave it to Capcom to screw up the biggest step forward the Outbreak series delivered, but Capcom prioritized milking the REO content in separate releases over creating the most perfect and complete Resident Evil (though on the plus side, File#2 did introduce some gameplay advancements.)

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 am

Vailor wrote:Well I hope the do go back to their roots and make a stellar PS4 game for us to play.

There is! Coming out this year, even. It's not called Resident Evil per se...

But you're looking for Mikami's The Evil Within.

killer9i1994
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby killer9i1994 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

I've played every Resident Evil but my favorite is still RE4, followed by RE5. I didn't like RE6 very much though. It didn't feel like a Resident Evil at all, although I did enjoy Jake's campaign.

@Burner: The Evil Within is definitely on my radar this year. Don't know for sure if I'll get it, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

killer9i1994 wrote:
@Burner: The Evil Within is definitely on my radar this year. Don't know for sure if I'll get it, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I doubt I'll get it right away, but it's one I'm eager to see and hear word of mouth on. Storywise, it looks like a mix of Rezzy and Silent Hill. Gameplay looks like classic survival horror, but prettier. So I'm intrigued.

But it's no Deadly Premonition. I heart Swery!

PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Contrary to most people, I really liked Resident Evil 5. Even if became more focused on action and it was really cheesy, it knew the kind of game it wanted to be. Resident Evil 6 was underwhelming, I beat it once and then shelved it.

I think the biggest problem with the franchise is the story is all over the place. They've made so many jumps in time and added so many meaningless characters and meaningless outbreaks that I just don't know what's going on anymore. I think a well-done reboot would do the series justice.

Anyway, I'll always love Resident Evil Outbreak.

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:26 am

Yeah, at this point, they're better of wiping the slate and rebooting Rezzy.

Venus
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Venus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 am

Bridgeburner wrote:Yeah, at this point, they're better of wiping the slate and rebooting Rezzy.

See that's where I disagree with a lot of people. I actually think that the numerous characters and side stories severe to flush out the mythos. There are so many interlocking stories and characters that we don't know about that it almost makes the world in which the game takes place come alive.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:34 am

I found RE5 really fun, but that's probably because I played through pretty much all of it Co-Op, and it was done really well as a co-op experience.

I played the demo of 6, and that was fairly fun co-op too. But, I can't really comment on the actual game, as I've never played it.

Outbreak was indeed a really great experience.

I dunno about a "reboot", but they really need to go in a very radical direction with the next one or they're going to go full on F/TPS, and be competing against game series that they have no chance against.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:40 am

Venus wrote:See that's where I disagree with a lot of people. I actually think that the numerous characters and side stories severe to flush out the mythos. There are so many interlocking stories and characters that we don't know about that it almost makes the world in which the game takes place come alive.

It does have a lot of interlocking parts, but I think Capcom themselves can't make heads or tails out of it. And when a game developer seems to have lost the plot on the direction and origin of its own series? I think it's the right option to begin anew.

With the right amount of planning, thoughtfulness, and world-building... I think a rebooted RE universe could be even more compelling than what's already there. But that's just my take.

Return to “General Chat”