nippon ichi if disgaea 5 doesnt sell we close shop [False]

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: nippon ichi if disgaea 5 doesnt sell we close shop

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:33 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:People wanted innovation in the series, and they're trying that. Now you're giving them shit for it?

There's no pleasing you people.

There seems to be this very fine line of change that most people want, generally speaking. Either it's too little change or too much change. It's pretty hard to ever get that exact amount of change that can please mostly everyone.

That said, many of the changes I've seen in the games from the beginning to now have typically been good enough for me. A couple hurdles here or there but overall good...at least in regards to the gameplay.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 pm

neonie wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
It would have been able to if they designed it that way (and it wouldn't even have to take a hit at all in the PS4 version, but the PS3 version would likely have some heavy slow-downs)

People wanted innovation in the series, and they're trying that. Now you're giving them shit for it?

Give me a break dude. "More of everything" isn't innovation. It could have been designed for current gen systems in ways that would have worked on current gen system without fucking braking current gen systems. "Innovation" doesn't mean "ADD MORE FUCKING SPRITES", it means change up the mechanics.

That being said, I don't even think changing the mechanics was ever a problem with Disgaea. I think the idea that they needed to "escalate the gameplay" or "Innovate" is fucking ludicrous to begin with. They fuck are they escalating? It's video game chess with magic and special attacks, you're either going to buy the game or not. That they HAD to put this on PS4 so they could ESCALATE the the very concept of video game chess is absurd. They built them selves into a goddamn corner because rather then making a new system or something, they said "JUST ADD MORE SPRITES". That's not innovation, that's the opposite.

You know nothing of game design if you think increasing the amount of units from 30 to 100 won't change anything. Not to mention the larger map size, which I'm assuming will have more varied movement methods to go with it.

I'm not saying they needed to change mechanics, that's what everyone else said. I'm telling you in what ways they've been trying to do that.

But nobody pays attention to the implications. This is IGN's Disgaea 3 review all over again. Nobody pays attention so they claim there's no changes when there are literally changes everywhere you look.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm

I think what they wanted to do was have larger, more interesting battles - larger maps and puzzles, etc., rather than smaller chambers. I could be wrong, of course... but to be honest, I've always felt that graphics were the least important part of the game. It doesn't need to be beautiful, and if the reactions to The Awakened Fate Ultimatum are any indication, then I don't think most people would actually enjoy a switch to 3-D anyway. Clean, expressive sprites work fine - and improving the game itself (with better maps, smoother functioning, and overall streamlining) is all I really want them to do.

Of course, that's just me, and I do recognize that some people would prefer other things... :?
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:40 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
neonie wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:
It would have been able to if they designed it that way (and it wouldn't even have to take a hit at all in the PS4 version, but the PS3 version would likely have some heavy slow-downs)

People wanted innovation in the series, and they're trying that. Now you're giving them shit for it?

Give me a break dude. "More of everything" isn't innovation. It could have been designed for current gen systems in ways that would have worked on current gen system without fucking braking current gen systems. "Innovation" doesn't mean "ADD MORE FUCKING SPRITES", it means change up the mechanics.

That being said, I don't even think changing the mechanics was ever a problem with Disgaea. I think the idea that they needed to "escalate the gameplay" or "Innovate" is fucking ludicrous to begin with. They fuck are they escalating? It's video game chess with magic and special attacks, you're either going to buy the game or not. That they HAD to put this on PS4 so they could ESCALATE the the very concept of video game chess is absurd. They built them selves into a goddamn corner because rather then making a new system or something, they said "JUST ADD MORE SPRITES". That's not innovation, that's the opposite.

You know nothing of game design if you think increasing the amount of units from 30 to 100 won't change anything. Not to mention the larger map size, which I'm assuming will have more varied movement methods to go with it.

When I think about a Disgaea with 100 sprites and larger maps, it actually makes me cringe. The idea of waiting for 100 enemies to take their turn and traversing larger spaces with limited movement per character sounds like a goddamn nightmare. So yeah, it'll change something, it'll change my desire to ever play Disgaea again.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:40 pm

neonie wrote:Give me a break dude. "More of everything" isn't innovation. It could have been designed for current gen systems in ways that would have worked on current gen system without fucking braking current gen systems.

Except they did?

PS3 is last gen. This presumably works fine on PS4.

neonie wrote:"Innovation" doesn't mean "ADD MORE FUCKING SPRITES", it means change up the mechanics.

To you, maybe. To me, changing up mechanics too much is often something I'd rather they put in a spinoff (see: Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, etc.) rather than screwing with the main games. Disgaea does sequels fine like that, I'd say.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Seventh wrote:
PS3 is last gen.

Try again when there are more people who own X1's and PS4's then Xbox 360's and PS3's smart ass.

Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:44 pm

It's still last gen.

We'll never have a next gen if (general) you go into things with that mindset either.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:46 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:But nobody pays attention to the implications. This is IGN's Disgaea 3 review all over again. Nobody pays attention so they claim there's no changes when there are literally changes everywhere you look.

Really? That was a thing?

And here I am having always considered "3" to have introduced some of the most changes/additions in the series from any other entry.

Different skill-learning system, weapons with unique innocents, a class world, homebase-based effects and boosts, magichange, the axe weapon finally getting a ranged attack, a post game, reverse-pirating, evilities, the list goes on.

ani12
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby ani12 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Does that quote have an actual source that isn't Neogaf? They didn't link to any site or whatever to show it being 100% authentic, so that made me raise an eyebrow.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:56 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:
ZekeFreek wrote:But nobody pays attention to the implications. This is IGN's Disgaea 3 review all over again. Nobody pays attention so they claim there's no changes when there are literally changes everywhere you look.

Really? That was a thing?

And here I am having always considered "3" to have introduced some of the most changes/additions in the series from any other entry.

Different skill-learning system, weapons with unique innocents, a class world, homebase-based effects and boosts, magichange, the axe weapon finally getting a ranged attack, a post game, reverse-pirating, evilities, the list goes on.

The main character was kind of like Laharl ignoring the fact a lot of their main characters are so it was totally the same guys!!!!!

Bah. :?

ranker56
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ranker56 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, the answer for them is right here:

Seriously though, they should at try to port the first Disgae to PC and sell it through Steam. I'm pretty sure it would sell well, just take a look at Valkyria Chronicles and the other Japanese games being ported to PC over the last year.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 pm

ranker56 wrote:Well, the answer for them is right here:

Seriously though, they should at try to port the first Disgae to PC and sell it through Steam. I'm pretty sure it would sell well, just take a look at Valkyria Chronicles and the other Japanese games being ported to PC over the last year.

The probably is it would still take more resources to actually do that port, and I doubt anyone at NIS knows anything about PC porting.

Spoiler:

Jordan
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey doods! Just going to jump in and drop this here for your edification since there seems to have been a misunderstanding as things were lost in translation.

As is very typical of him, Mr. Niikawa’s original statements in Japanese were in jest, which unfortunately doesn't quite come across when taken out of context and in translation.

Mr. Niikawa’s original comment during a live interview with Nico Nico was actually that he might be fired, however, this was somehow turned into the below comment by a Japanese blogger.
「ディスガイア5が計画通り売れなかったら来年業界にいないかも。Bloodborneと丸
被りになっちゃったけど両方買って欲しい。」
We asked Mr. Niikawa to clarify and he said that the correct spirit and translation of the comment is, "If Disgaea 5 does not sell as planned, I, as the producer, might need to leave the Japanese gaming industry. (LOL)"

Mr. Niikawa further adds, "This comment was simply self-deprecating humor and in no way did it mean or imply that Nippon Ichi Software as a company is going bankrupt or is in financial difficulties. I was merely trying to use humor in order to get the point across that we are committed to selling 150,000 copies of Disgaea 5.”

Hopefully that calms some of your concerns. We're planning to be around and bringing fun titles to the West for a long while yet!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm

I was somewhat expecting it to be within the realms of being some sort of misunderstanding. Just not to that extent. Dang.

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Well this wouldn't be the first time Neogaf made me feel stupid.

And it probably won't be the last.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Return to “General Chat”