Nintendo Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Puyo Puyo Tetris

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.

Which upcoming game are you most excited for?

Xenoblade 2
No votes
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
No votes
Super Mario Odyssey
No votes
Puyo Puyo Tetris
No votes
Splatoon 2
No votes
Ultra Street Fighter 2
No votes
Arms
No votes
Fire Emblem Warriors
No votes
Fire Emblem Switch
100%
Other(discuss)
No votes

Total votes: 1

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Nintendo Switch (March 2017)

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:42 pm

I find myself actually rather impressed with this new system. The name is definitely lacking, but at least it's not funky like the Wii and Wii-U.

Also, it looks to me like Nintendo has decided to swing back to the middle and provide better experience for the hardcore gamers (of which I am not among). The Wii series were definitely casual with their wonky design, but this device, with... how many buttons did I see? 15 counting the sticks? It's definitely compatible with hardcore game elements.

I didn't actually watch whatever it was that revealed this, I'm just catching the wake of the news. But I heard a rumor that the NX was going to use cartridges. With this format, I can completely see why that would be the right decision. Disc-based portable devices are... iffy at best (the PSP was ok, but that's only because I don't move my hands much when I play my games). And cartridge technology has been vastly refined since the N64 days, so I could see them being reasonably sized and still be able to hold as much data as would be needed for 9th-Generation games.

So yeah, I may actually get one... when the price comes down... and when a Smash Bros. comes out for it. XD
Amethytus Library's Latest Entry: *2015/09/27 - Trouble Witches: Nest of Disruption*

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:51 am

redsilversnake wrote:
lopez wrote:Interesting premise. I'm curious how that little slim tablet can run PS4/X1 level or better graphics on the go AND on a plane.

I may be a bit behind, but I've seen nothing about it being graphically on par with the PS4 or XB1. Skyrim was the only game shown that people would consider having graphics of higher fidelity than typical Nintendo games, but Bethesda's games aren't exactly known for being good-looking even now, to say nothing of a last-gen title.

The prevailing rumors or "insider" remarks were that it has "industry-leading tech." It hasn't been mentioned by one person/source, but a few "key" insiders.

--------

Personally, I want to know 2 things:

1. How much will it cost (I'm assuming $349 on the low-end and realistically $399 if it comes with the dock, tablet, controller base and the 2 attachable controllers)?
2. How long is the battery life in portable mode (if it's on level with atleast PS3/360, then it can't be all that great...hopefully better than 3-4 hours... :/ )?

The games are coming, enhanced ports included, and I don't really care about specs, so I'll be happy if they have some games from Atlus (Persona, SMT, Etrian Odyssey), Intelligent Systems (Paper Mario, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem), Capcom (Monster Hunter, Mega Man) and Inti Creates (side-scroller action games), well and the obvious core Ninty titles like Zelda, Pikmin and hopefully Metroid.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 am

Skyrim's a good game, but it's quite a few years old now, and isn't exactly exciting to show.

One of my friends' first reactions was "that looks like it has a lot of easily broken parts that would cost me to replace".

As far as graphics capabilities, I hear it's not as good as the other consoles. Nintendo isn't trying to match their processing power or anything. Mind you, as long as it looks decent, I don't really care about that. I have a 1080p television on my desk for gaming, and the fact that the new version of the PS4 can do Ultra HD 4K stuff means basically nothing to me. XD
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ArmedDragoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:43 pm

This console is following up on what the Vita has been trying to do; a true hybrid of console and handheld experiences. This could really work out to Nintendo's advantage, all it needs to do is fill it with high quality first party titles, give it an affordable price, and the third parties will come on their own with an incredible variety of titles, with its portability attracting Japanese developers in particular. This here might be the new weeb machine.

Rednal wrote:One of my friends' first reactions was "that looks like it has a lot of easily broken parts that would cost me to replace".

To be frank, if it's anything like literally any Nintendo product ever made, it won't break easily. It probably has no moving parts because it uses cartridges, which is also neat.
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:59 pm

I'd imagine that this comes off as more novelty than true industry-changing tech to the average gamer. I can't really see too many people taking this on the go and ESPECIALLY doing multiplayer on a single small screen with those tiny peripherals. Most Western gamers are geared more toward console gaming, so software and hardware specs are what the Switch needs to edge out over the competition.

Honestly, this system will face the same challenges that the Wii U did; limited 3rd party support, gimmicky nature and scant launch (non-port) window titles.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:13 pm

It looks interesting, but I won't be buying it. I am interested to see how well it sells. I feel like it's going to do really well in japan.

RandomR
Majin
Majin

Postby RandomR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:57 am

Looks like we'll have to wait for a while to know more about the Switch
Nintendo CEO: No announcement planned about detailed Switch specs & price this year.

The good thing is Nintendo seems to be listening to customers expectations when it comes of pricing

Also this might be good for people who are undecided
Oh, also Nintendo chief suggessted there would be some occasions that consumers can actually test play Switch before launch. Good!

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791237857243373568

EDIT:
removed the tweets, adding dualshockers article as source since it has everythng

source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/10/26/ ... unveiling/

nihonscope
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby nihonscope » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Yeah... not sure what to think switch....
Epic status author of http://nihonscope.com Japanese news, culture and research blog.

ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ArmedDragoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 am

lopez wrote:Honestly, this system will face the same challenges that the Wii U did; limited 3rd party support, gimmicky nature and scant launch (non-port) window titles.

Two of those things are impossible to call without the console actually being released first (remember that the 3DS had no shortage of 3rd party support), and I don't see what's so gimmicky about this when you compare it to the Wii and Wii U. It's a console that can easily be played on the go; everyone can understand this just from watching it in action, and the trailer owes its success to that. Nobody is saying "wait what, what is this thing? A peripheral?" like they did with the Wii U, which was a serious problem that all of the Wii U's other problems sprang from.
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:26 pm

ArmedDragoon wrote:
lopez wrote:Honestly, this system will face the same challenges that the Wii U did; limited 3rd party support, gimmicky nature and scant launch (non-port) window titles.

Two of those things are impossible to call without the console actually being released first (remember that the 3DS had no shortage of 3rd party support), and I don't see what's so gimmicky about this when you compare it to the Wii and Wii U. It's a console that can easily be played on the go; everyone can understand this just from watching it in action, and the trailer owes its success to that. Nobody is saying "wait what, what is this thing? A peripheral?" like they did with the Wii U, which was a serious problem that all of the Wii U's other problems sprang from.

The trailer boiled down to this: a tablet with detachable controllers and video output. This is nothing more than a Playstation Vita with refined Remote Play.

Hardcore gamers want games and specs. Casuals want affordability. I'd imagine Ninty will have to differentiate itself from the stiff tablet market since this seems more like a mobile device than a dedicated console.

Unless this sells for dirt cheap and has a load of (cheap) games to boot, I can't imagine the average consumer will be eager to take the plunge.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:31 pm

As a big Nintendo fan, I will buy the Switch, though the Mario game shown in the trailer definitely caught my interest a lot.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

Nerroth
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nerroth » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Jimmy Fallon just got to try the Switch on The Tonight Show.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Anyone going to watch the live event?

The rumored $249 price sounds too good to be true.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Sadly Nintendo is still censorship happy, so sadly I can't care less. All the games I'm sure I'd want would be censored.

Return to “General Chat”