NISA Press conference 2015 (22nd Feb; 6pm-9pm PST)

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: NISA Press conference 2015 (22nd Feb; 6pm-9pm PST)

Postby razisgosu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
Prinny Supervisor wrote:
razisgosu wrote:NISA why the heck would you censor Criminal Girls on PC?

Making any changes to the pertinent content would require a re-rating, and as a company we never want to publish an "unrated" game. We are bringing the exact same game that we published on the Vita to the PC.

That is a very unfortunate stance and I do hope it does not come back to bite you. The PC crowd is very finnicky and launching a censored game won't be something that gets praised.

Have you considered a patch to restore the content? This would allow you get the game rated and get around the need to keep it censored. Something to think about. An off site patch is not considered part of the production game and would not go against your rating. I definitely recommend thinking about it.

We really did have a long discussion about exactly what to do with CG on the PC. We ended up with the option that would make the most sense for us as a company right now.

Besides, there are a lot of resources currently tied up in...other things...

Well I'll have to leave it there then. I look forward to it getting a Steam page up and if it should come to pass that it can be uncensored by a third party in the future I may consider picking it up a second time.

That being said, I look forward to hearing about what NISA is working on for the remainder of 2016 when you can announce more.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:20 pm

grgspunk wrote:
What are your intentions with Criminal Girls 2?

Criminal intentions.

I'll show myself out.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:

Making any changes to the pertinent content would require a re-rating, and as a company we never want to publish an "unrated" game. We are bringing the exact same game that we published on the Vita to the PC.

doesn't porting it require a new rating for that version anyway, even if unchanged? (like IFI has had Neptunia games rated for PC long before even announcing it for PC)
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

murkeva
Vassal
Vassal

Postby murkeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Nuhji wrote:
murkeva wrote:
razisgosu wrote:Regardless PC games aren't required to be rated to be published on Steam. So ESRB doesn't have much to do with the discussion.

No studio with a professional reputation is going to actually do it, unless they're an edgy indie act developing something like HuniePop, Postal or Hatred that's deliberately intended to provoke and offend.

funny you mention Hatred when it actually did get rated

Yeah, AO, which Valve normally doesn't allow on Steam. Gabe Newell had to approve it personally for it to get released.

Any game rated AO for sexual content (rather than violence) has a snowball's chance in hell of getting approved for Steam, which is why several recent PC visual novel releases have been censored.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:32 pm

murkeva wrote:
Nuhji wrote:
murkeva wrote:
razisgosu wrote:Regardless PC games aren't required to be rated to be published on Steam. So ESRB doesn't have much to do with the discussion.

No studio with a professional reputation is going to actually do it, unless they're an edgy indie act developing something like HuniePop, Postal or Hatred that's deliberately intended to provoke and offend.

funny you mention Hatred when it actually did get rated

Yeah, AO, which Valve normally doesn't allow on Steam. Gabe Newell had to approve it personally for it to get released.

Any game rated AO for sexual content (rather than violence) has a snowball's chance in hell of getting approved for Steam, which is why several recent PC visual novel releases have been censored.

only on steam and honestly even censored like it is I'd imagine a game like Huniepop would still get an AO
and on another note I think Gabe mentioned Hatred being removed off greenlight was a mistake someone made iirc
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:23 am

murkeva wrote:Any game rated AO for sexual content (rather than violence) has a snowball's chance in hell of getting approved for Steam, which is why several recent PC visual novel releases have been censored.

Well, I mean, just recently there's an example of a v/n that has actual sex scenes uncensored that has released on Steam fine. I don't know if they rated it or not (can't find any rating) but that's definitely AO material.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 am

It was not rated.

(Criminal Girls, conversely, already has a rating - and there's probably a clause somewhere specifying that they can't release an unrated version, since customers could potentially get confused, or be misinformed, about what content is in a given version of a game.)
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

Nuhji wrote:
Prinny Supervisor wrote:

doesn't porting it require a new rating for that version anyway, even if unchanged? (like IFI has had Neptunia games rated for PC long before even announcing it for PC)

Not with the ESRB's new guidelines. It's just some paperwork. It used to be the case that porting any game from one console to any other console (or PC) required a re-rating, no exceptions, even if it was the exact same game. Glad that's not the case anymore. However, often times to save the hassle later, publishers will just automatically list PC when getting a game rated, because the process is the same.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Scumbadsoldier
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Scumbadsoldier » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:58 am

Touhou was unexpected, to say the least.

I'm excited about the potential for Criminal Girls on PC, though...

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 pm

I'm personally just glad to see that NISA still seem to have faith in the Vita. There seemed to be a lot worry on GAF (that I was a part of) that they wouldn't bother with the exclusives anymore, so to see Yomawari coming across is nice in and of itself; but especially nice because there's plenty more exclusives on the way that I'd like to see given a shot over here.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Glad to see Yomawari get localized and I will look into the Psycho-Pass anime to see if the series is something I'd be interested in.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

dromans
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby dromans » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 am

Well we know that Criminal Girls is unchanged on Steam... but what about the Japanese version on Steam?
Considering it has Japanese text support, will the Japanese text version includes the western censorship as well?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:06 am

@Kresnik: Why are you listening to GAF? :lol: They're wrong all the time. Just pay attention to the company's actual announcements and don't worry too much about speculation.

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Rednal wrote:@Kresnik: Why are you listening to GAF? :lol: They're wrong all the time. Just pay attention to the company's actual announcements and don't worry too much about speculation.

It was mostly one user who is supposedly chummy with NISA. Stuff's in here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16519

I initially took his comments as meaning that no Vita stuff is coming any more, but he clarified it to mean that stuff won't come for Vita unless they make a PC/PS4 version, which is a load of extra hassle.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:01 am

Looks like a normal user to me. XD I wouldn't place too much value on anything posted on GAF.

Return to “General Chat”