Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Postby Seventh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Makes me hope they could pull this into a new franchise honestly. If only to get all the big names in for another game.

Oh, or maybe get a different toku writer on board. Imagine a game written by Kobayashi...

ArmyofDarkness wrote:I really think FFF can hit the mainstream market a lot harder than any other CH title out there. I wonder if we are going to see a similar budget in line with the HDN games though.

It was the Neptunia team's game for last year over a, you know, Neptunia game, so it should be whatever you'll expect of that.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm

ArmyofDarkness wrote:I really think FFF can hit the mainstream market a lot harder than any other CH title out there. I wonder if we are going to see a similar budget in line with the HDN games though.

Yeah, it'll probably have a similar budget to Neptunia games...maybe a bit more voice acting, due to it being its own thing. Maybe.

And yeah, it'll probably hit a wider market, due to it not being as...otaku focused, as other CH games, though I don't think it'll sell more than HDN

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Are we going to place bets on a possible Vita port? 8-)

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 pm

lopez wrote:Are we going to place bets on a possible Vita port? 8-)

I would wait a bit before making that bet. Neptunia's gotten remakes because, among other things, it needed it, but CH hasn't done many straight up ports that I know of.

Plus Victory would be due one first anyway.

Pimpalicious
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pimpalicious » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:19 pm

So long as I don't have to grind boring quests over and over again to get the story rolling like in Victory, I'm all over this.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 pm

I won't really be commenting in this thread much, having finished the game a while ago and with my known doubts about NISA's localization policy, but I'll just put a few things for those interested:

- In general, the game is relatively short, about 30 hours or so;
- While it's Inoue writing, most of his tropes (at least the terrible ones) are absent;
- The game has a lot of Kamen Rider references buried here and there;
- While there is a New Game+ option, it's almost useless, as 99% of the stuff can be completed in one run save a few minor things, and the only ingame and postgame dungeon is the Tower of Shukesu and its free DLC addons;
- As I said in my earlier reports, the story has a flow that is similar to certain Kamen Rider series, and even people with a small knowledge of tokusatsu show should easily found why;
- Sadly most of the supporting cast don't get really a decent characterization, despite being funny in general. Aside the main trio (Fang, Alyn, Tiara), the one that comes closer is Harler, though she often works as the infodump character for story reasons. The worst of the bunch is Pippin;
- The villains...eh, they're mostly cardboard-box deep, though it seemed to me it was a conscious decision;
- There is no true end, just a normal ending and two endings depending on the heroine of choice. It's pretty easy to choose and there aren't really strange requirements. I suggest getting one of the endings as the normal one is really underwhelming. The final part is also a bit rushed;
- The battle system is highly customizable, and that's both the strength and the weakness of the game, because you can customize the stats, skills and combos to your liking, but that means you can also "break" the balance early in;
- There's an item synthesis feature like in later Neptune games, but it's undercooked and not really functional, as you need to gather the items needed to synth before the synth item appears among the choices;
- Graphically, it's a step up from Neptune V, but the frame rate is still inconsistent. Dungeons are still recycled, but they're bigger at least;
- The soundtrack is really one of the strongest point, both in the normal tracks and the songs (which are plenty);
- I really hated the interface for the menus, I think it's clunky and doesn't work well, especially the equipment selection is a mess;
- Most of the game systems are actually pretty useful (Resonance Effect, World Influence);
- There's an item limit in the inventory, divided by items (for example, max 20 potions);
- That will be a hot topic I'm sure, but save one sub-event, the major subevents for all characters are voiced. The only subevents not voiced are the ones with random characters in town and in the shops, and the ones in the inn (which is your base of operations) with the party characters - those are 4-5 exchanges at maximum though;
- Unlike Neptune games, your non-party characters do not gain Weapon Points and EXP unless you activate a certain ability. Since there are a few battles in which you lose/change party members, that's important to know;
- There are two optional characters, and both can be recruited in one playthrough.

Esper
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Esper » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I don't think there is anything in the game to warrant it but... might as well get the needed question out of the way right now:

Will NISA be censoring this game in any way?

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't think there's anything to "censor" here, despite being a little more graphic than the Neptune games, violence-wise.

darkrchaos
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby darkrchaos » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:26 am

Looks really fun, but I won't be picking it up since I plan on getting rid of my PS3 once I"m done with Mugen Souls Z.

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 am

Well, I'm thrilled Fairy is getting localized. Awesome news.

Now to wait 'till autumn.

Excelsia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Excelsia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 am

xizro345 wrote:That will be a hot topic I'm sure, but save one sub-event, the major subevents for all characters are voiced. The only subevents not voiced are the ones with random characters in town and in the shops, and the ones in the inn (which is your base of operations) with the party characters - those are 4-5 exchanges at maximum though

This is the only aspect of the game which I'm legitimately concerned about come the localization, due in most part to the issue of Neptunia Victory's voice dubbing being so sparse compared to the original version.

I pray that NISA voices everything that's supposed to be voiced, and doesn't leave us with so many silent scenes like was done with Victory.

But anyhow--thanks for all the info, Xizro.

Bridgeburner
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Bridgeburner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:01 am

Excelsia wrote:
xizro345 wrote:That will be a hot topic I'm sure, but save one sub-event, the major subevents for all characters are voiced. The only subevents not voiced are the ones with random characters in town and in the shops, and the ones in the inn (which is your base of operations) with the party characters - those are 4-5 exchanges at maximum though

This is the only aspect of the game which I'm legitimately concerned about come the localization, due in most part to the issue of Neptunia Victory's voice dubbing being so sparse compared to the original version.

I pray that NISA voices everything that's supposed to be voiced, and doesn't leave us with so many silent scenes like was done with Victory.

But anyhow--thanks for all the info, Xizro.

Yeah, the English track concerns me as well... on the other hand, if they keep the Japanese audio intact, I may just go with that, as I had no issues with any of the voices from the bits I've seen.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am

The monster designs aren't taken from the Neptune games. The transformation (Fairize) is a little different from Neptune as it has requirements to activate and mantain, related to a certain gauge called Tension Gauge.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:01 am

I watched the NISA trailer by chance and...What? Eryn? Someone can explain this to me considering there is a romanization, and it's way different (Alyn)?

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 am

xizro345 wrote:I watched the NISA trailer by chance and...What? Eryn? Someone can explain this to me considering there is a romanization, and it's way different (Alyn)?

Sometimes the Romanization that a Japanese dev comes up with to appeal to its Japanese users doesn't work as well in full English, in which case we work with them to come up with something that feels more fitting. We did this with just about all the Atelier games, as well.

We try to avoid it when possible, but if we think there's a better option (and the dev agrees) we go with that.

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”