Favorite Character(s)

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Favorite Character(s)

Postby Porecomesis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Houk wrote:I can't speak for any other comic relief characters, but Pippin is god. I hope they make a sequel and Pippin is the main character and all of Pippin's friends show up and it's the Pippin & Pals show.

I suppose I'll take your word for it until I play the game.

And you all know what I'm like... :evil:

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Most of the comic relief Pippin provides stems from the contrast between his appearance and his role as the "ancient warrior with a mysterious past" archetype. In that sense, his appearance is intentionally meant to disrupt the status quo that that archetype normally adheres to. But personality-wise, Pippin is pretty measured and levelheaded, especially when compared to some of the more flamboyant characters in the game. That's actually why he's my favorite character in FFF. He's like your cool grandpa who tells awesome war stories, except he also happens to be a giant green cat creature with a sword shoved through his head.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Porecomesis wrote:Have to say, I agree with Magician. There's a time and place for comedy and characters who only exist to yank laughs out of the audience are bound to have inappropriate moments. It's like Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea; a good game but Wadanohara's three dipstick friends can get lost for all I care. They keep ruining the atmosphere in otherwise very solemn or serious moments.

I get the logic here - and I think the reverse is true too. You get too serious with something that is normally not, if you don't pull it off well, it's going to just be bad. It's why I hate Disgaea 4's final few grimderp chapters for example.

The thing is though, I really don't think Neptunia or even this aren't not the time or place - Neptunia certainly rarely isn't. Plus, humor is probably one of the most subjective things on the planet - some people are going to really enjoy things like a character who cracks joke at inappropriate times or lightens the mood when the mood is down. Not to mention that something that wasn't intended as a joke could be seen as one or the opposite depending on the involved senses of humor.

Houk wrote:I can't speak for any other comic relief characters, but Pippin is god. I hope they make a sequel and Pippin is the main character and all of Pippin's friends show up and it's the Pippin & Pals show.

I gotta say, I'm certainly intrigued by him now. :lol: Hopefully he doesn't disappoint!

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Most of the comic relief Pippin provides stems from the contrast between his appearance and his role as the "ancient warrior with a mysterious past" archetype. In that sense, his appearance is intentionally meant to disrupt the status quo that that archetype normally adheres to. But personality-wise, Pippin is pretty measured and levelheaded, especially when compared to some of the more flamboyant characters in the game. That's actually why he's my favorite character in FFF. He's like your cool grandpa who tells awesome war stories, but he also happens to be a giant green cat creature with a sword shoved through his head.

... aaaand now I love him.

Dammit guys, give us a release date already!

Magician_Type_0
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Magician_Type_0 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:41 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:Most of the comic relief Pippin provides stems from the contrast between his appearance and his role as the "ancient warrior with a mysterious past" archetype. In that sense, his appearance is intentionally meant to disrupt the status quo that that archetype normally adheres to. But personality-wise, Pippin is pretty measured and levelheaded, especially when compared to some of the more flamboyant characters in the game. That's actually why he's my favorite character in FFF. He's like your cool grandpa who tells awesome war stories, except he also happens to be a giant green cat creature with a sword shoved through his head.

Sounds sort of like Riki from Xenoblade, hmm. Sadly I still don't find his design appealing and personally wish if they used such an archetype given him a mundane design myself. By the same logic I dislike Shalman's Fairy. They just don't personally seem to fit the world. :/

I prefer design consistency where applicable. Juxtaposition of seriousness mixed with an awful design doesn't match something I admire from an aesthetics viewpoint. I would have just preferred some cool old dude with perhaps a sweet mustache or beard.
Last edited by Magician_Type_0 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness lies in the cultivation of the garden." Candide

"Let the foolish continue to be foolish." Me (EDG), WPHS Yearbook Quote 2006

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:41 pm

While Pippin is funny, it's waaay underutilized in the game, and I'm still questioning why it was put that way.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Magician_Type_0 wrote:Sounds sort of like Riki from Xenoblade, hmm. Sadly I still don't find his design appealing and personally wish if they used such an archetype given him a normal design myself. By the same logic I dislike Shalman's Fairy. They just don't personally seem to fit the world. :/

I prefer design consistency where applicable.

As far as Ryushin is concerned, there are waaaaaaay more fairies in the game than just the ones used by the main cast. Quite frankly, if you think Ryushin looks out of place for a fairy, you're in for a surprise or two.

xizro345 wrote:While Pippin is funny, it's waaay underutilized in the game, and I'm still questioning why it was put that way.

I agree. Maybe we'll see a Fairy Fencer P in the future?
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

PringlesXD
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby PringlesXD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Pippin sounds like a fun dude. I can't wait for the game!

killer9i1994
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby killer9i1994 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Design wise, my favorite is definitely Alyn. Loli's are da best.

Edit: Also, after reading all the posts about Pipin in this thread, I'm pretty excited to see what he's really like.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Seeing how I don't actually know anything about the characters...I'm going to have to go off from just their designs.

And with that...I'm going to have to go with Ethel/Effole. Something about her design really strikes my fancy.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 pm

I don't know if he'll be my favorite, but due to recent events, I'll be giving Bernard some special attention.
Last edited by Seventh on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 am

I don't know what she's called (Tiara?), but the design for the silvery-haired girl is nice.

Excelsia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Excelsia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:42 am

That would be Tiara, yes.

h2foxo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby h2foxo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Purely on design i would say either

Tiara

or Alyn

So i will say both

Out of what i've seen: http://imgur.com/a/R03Ou

As i like there outfits and style.

Excelsia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Excelsia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Did you steal those images from where I posted them in the FFF picture thread? ;)

h2foxo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby h2foxo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:31 am

Excelsia wrote:Did you steal those images from where I posted them in the FFF picture thread? ;)

No i got them from san..complex... thing site. I only went to get an image of each and got carried away saving ones. :lol:

Edit:

I probably voted premature as looking at the pictures thread now there is the possibility of her too:

http://i.imgur.com/MknCFrT.png

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”