2 Questions...

Official Makai Kingdom discussion forum.
darkrpger
Geo Master
Geo Master

2 Questions...

Postby darkrpger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:16 am

My 1st question is about the game's title.

Anyone know why it was changed from "Phantom-Kingdom" in Japan to "Makai-Kingdom" here?
From the context that I've heard the word "Makai" used in, (in other games localized by nisa) I didn't get the impression that the 2 words were synonymous and/or interchangeable with each other, so I was just wondering.

Second question:

In terms of the length of the game, gameplay, "fun", and post-game content - how would this game stack up against Soul Nomad & Sakura Wars?

(Yes, I realize that this is a very subjective question here - boiling down to nothing but personal preferences and opinions...but that's exactly what I'd like to hear...your thoughts & opinions).

The reason that I ask is that I've had Makai Kingdom & Soul Nomad for a long time now, and recently, (after reading in an interview how disappointing the sales of Sakura Wars was to nisa); half out of just wanting to support nisa a little (hey. every little bit helps, right)? and 1/2 out of curiosity about the game from the little that I knew/heard about it - I ordered it from the nisa store.

Anyhow, to my own discredit, I've become somewhat partial (read: addicted) to collecting trophies, yet, I really want to (and soon will) take an intermission to dust off the ps2 & play one of these games.

Please, help me to put my 'time away from trophy-hunting' to the best use possible.
Knowing what you know & thinking what you think of these games...if you were only able to play one of them which one would it be and why?

Thanks-
Now Playing: The Guided Fate Paradox

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: 2 Questions...

Postby Rednal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 pm

"Phantom Kingdom" was, the developers felt, too close to the previous title "Phantom Brave", and might make people think it was a sequel when, in fact, it isn't.

In the length of the game... I'd say that Makai Kingdom can pretty easily outclass Sakura Wars (which is more linear), but as with most NIS games, it really depends on how you play. In that regard, it's very similar to Soul Nomad. For gameplay, it's pretty much Phantom Brave plus a little extra, and while I can see the comparison between Sakura Wars' style and Makai Kingdom's, keep in mind that Makai Kingdom has many, many more enemies... and other stuff on the map. In terms of fun? It is a funny game. Basically anything Zetta does is awesome, and if you liked Soul Nomad, you'll probably like Makai Kingdom.

Makai Kingdom has a generally more entertaining story, while Soul Nomad, despite funny moments, is extremely dark. Post-game, I'd say Makai Kingdom has more to it with the bonus bosses; it doesn't take all THAT long to get all the bonus things in a playthrough of Soul Nomd, but Makai Kingdom will probably take you a little while; I'd flip it for the normal game, though, since Soul Nomad seemed longer there.

Basically, they're both good games. I'd say play Makai Kingdom just to see Zetta, and move to Soul Nomad later on.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

darkrpger
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby darkrpger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:58 pm

@ Rednal:

Thanks for the helpful reply :)

That makes sense to me (about the name change).

Were the games still called "Phantom-Brave" & "Phantom-Kingdom" in Japan?

Thanks, again.
Now Playing: The Guided Fate Paradox

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 pm

I... think they were.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 am

They were. I think it's likely the idea for the names came from the fact that they both have a similar kind of gameplay?

I dunno. Regardless, even Japan seemed to like the change, as Kingdom's sequel was going to be Makai Wars instead of Phantom Wars.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm

And is then reminiscent of Makai Senki Disgaea, of course...

You can't win. XD;

However, I'd still approve, if only because Makai Kingdom is closer to Disgaea than it is to Phantom Brave, plot-wise...

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Rednal wrote:And is then reminiscent of Makai Senki Disgaea, of course...

You can't win. XD;

However, I'd still approve, if only because Makai Kingdom is closer to Disgaea than it is to Phantom Brave, plot-wise...

I think, in that case, we're fine because that series is still clearly Makai Senki Disgaea X, whereas the Makai series would be Makai Something.

Return to “Makai Kingdom”