No Japanese voice for european version of atelier ayesha

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
Dubbo
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: No Japanese voice for european version of atelier ayesha

Postby Dubbo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 am

This interview here seen to indicate that Gust was the one who made the decision of not including jap voice overs instead of TK who probably have no idea how to deal or market games from gust. So at the moment I am not placing as much blame on TK as I used to.

http://www.psu.com/a018662/

It's amazing how Gust who has been working with NISA for all this time still don't know or care about their own oversea market and probably just decide to cut cost right away on voice overs on their first release outside of NISA.

ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ArmedDragoon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 am

Dubbo wrote:This interview here seen to indicate that Gust was the one who made the decision of not including jap voice overs instead of TK who probably have no idea how to deal or market games from gust. So at the moment I am not placing as much blame on TK as I used to.

It's amazing how Gust who has been working with NISA for all this time still don't know or care about their own oversea market and probably just decide to cut cost right away on voice overs on their first release outside of NISA.

Or they just decided that it wasn't important to the majority of the consumers. Since, you know, it's not.
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.

Shiyu
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Shiyu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 am

ArmedDragoon wrote:Or they just decided that it wasn't important to the majority of the consumers. Since, you know, it's not.

Well, the statement by the Gust representative clearly says that they were surprised by the high demand for a Japanese dub in the west. High enough for them to "seriously consider re-introducing this feature in the future". Obviously, if this is true, the amount of consumers in the west who want a Japanese dub is not negligible.

Anyway, I fear the lack of Japanese voices does not only account to the European version of Ayesha, but also to the US version, right? Otherwise, I would just import the US version...

Shiyu
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Shiyu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks for the answer. Disappointing news :(

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

Shiyu wrote:
ArmedDragoon wrote:Or they just decided that it wasn't important to the majority of the consumers. Since, you know, it's not.

Well, the statement by the Gust representative clearly says that they were surprised by the high demand for a Japanese dub in the west. High enough for them to "seriously consider re-introducing this feature in the future". Obviously, if this is true, the amount of consumers in the west who want a Japanese dub is not negligible.

Minority != Negligible.
It just means over half are indifferent to having it, it could still be a rather large percentage who do, but less than 50%.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

Pretty sure there are no numbers.
Just the likely fact more people probably are indifferent to having the Japanese voice track than not.

epikkhighh
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby epikkhighh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm

ArmedDragoon wrote:
Dubbo wrote:This interview here seen to indicate that Gust was the one who made the decision of not including jap voice overs instead of TK who probably have no idea how to deal or market games from gust. So at the moment I am not placing as much blame on TK as I used to.

Or they just decided that it wasn't important to the majority of the consumers. Since, you know, it's not.

-my personal opinion here- well (for the most part) the crowd they are selling to are americans right...? who's native language is english? so I don't blame gust for not including the japanese voices, but seriously, they released atelier iris 1 2 3, ar tonelico 1 2 3, rorona, totori and meruru with japanese voices. why da heck would they not include it for this game

アクターレ
Majin
Majin

Postby アクターレ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:13 pm

epikkhighh wrote:-my personal opinion here- well (for the most part) the crowd they are selling to are americans right...? who's native language is english? so I don't blame gust for not including the japanese voices, but seriously, they released atelier iris 1 2 3, ar tonelico 1 2 3, rorona, totori and meruru with japanese voices. why da heck would they not include it for this game

Because that's just the difference between NIS and Tecmo Koei. NIS actually cares about what their fans want and actually makes an effort to give it to them.

TK doesn't give a sh*t what the fans want so they just put out some half-assed dub-only release thinking most of us will just buy it anyways (Hint: we won't).

I own the US NIS releases of all 3 Arland games but I refuse to buy TK's Ayesha out of principle.

Namco does the same sh*t. You guys hear the trailers for Tales of Xillia? It's terrible, and to think we had to wait almost 2 years for it too. Thankfully I own the Japanese version.

ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ArmedDragoon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:40 pm

アクターレ wrote:
epikkhighh wrote:-my personal opinion here- well (for the most part) the crowd they are selling to are americans right...? who's native language is english? so I don't blame gust for not including the japanese voices, but seriously, they released atelier iris 1 2 3, ar tonelico 1 2 3, rorona, totori and meruru with japanese voices. why da heck would they not include it for this game

Because that's just the difference between NIS and Tecmo Koei. NIS actually cares about what their fans want and actually makes an effort to give it to them.

TK doesn't give a sh*t what the fans want so they just put out some half-assed dub-only release thinking most of us will just buy it anyways (Hint: we won't).

I own the US NIS releases of all 3 Arland games but I refuse to buy TK's Ayesha out of principle.

Namco does the same sh*t. You guys hear the trailers for Tales of Xillia? It's terrible, and to think we had to wait almost 2 years for it too. Thankfully I own the Japanese version.

/First world problems

NIS cares? That's funny, because I'm pretty sure that they "half-ass" dubs for everything that's not Disgaea. I'd rather see a completely dubbed video game before companies start worrying about getting Japanese voices, because if you are a localizing company and aren't fully translating something, then you're doing something on the level of a fan project. Unfortunately TK didn't get to Ayesha in time for it to recieve an actual full dub, too bad.

Who's "most of us", by the way? Because a sizable amount of people still bought the game, me included.
Neogaf wrote:In my opinion the main creative heads behind such games are undoubtedly pedophiles. There's no doubt in my mind. Having them lose money doesn't bother me at all.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:22 pm

ArmedDragoon wrote:/First world problems

NIS cares? That's funny, because I'm pretty sure that they "half-ass" dubs for everything that's not Disgaea. I'd rather see a completely dubbed video game before companies start worrying about getting Japanese voices, because if you are a localizing company and aren't fully translating something, then you're doing something on the level of a fan project. Unfortunately TK didn't get to Ayesha in time for it to recieve an actual full dub, too bad.

Who's "most of us", by the way? Because a sizable amount of people still bought the game, me included.

*sighs*
Apologises in advance, this has been brought to my attention at silly o'clock and I find it cannot be ignored. Incomplete, incoherent rambling likely.

They are fully translating it, they are not fully dubbing it, critical difference there, and dubbing is far more expensive than simply localising the text (which, in itself is different from translating), as well being more expensive than using the original Japanese voice track, seeing as it does not need to be re-recorded, just licensed again. Being able to get a part dub and Japanese voice track is much more possible than getting everything fully dubbed. In fact, for the most part, getting the original voice track should have little effect on the dubbing side of things.
Secondly, TK "got" Ayesha, then got NISA to do the localisation, and the change around in publisher is partly the reason for the lack of a Japanese voice track this time around, as NISA were not in charge of it. Incidentally, the reason the Disgaea games get full dubs is that they sell far more, thus more money can be afforded to be pumped into it without it becoming a risky proposition relying on an unlikely high number of sales. "Half-ass"ing it would be to randomly dub sections of the game with no rhyme or reason, whereas what actually happens is some careful consideration of what scenes can and cannot be voiced within the current budget, picking the most important ones to be voiced in English.

I am going to sleep now.

BlinkWinkel
Majin
Majin

Postby BlinkWinkel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:18 pm

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
Last edited by BlinkWinkel on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArmedDragoon
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby ArmedDragoon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm

BlinkWinkel wrote:
keiku wrote:so nothing nis can do for this... this is sad.
good license with awfull localisation, i want cry.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... way to ruin a great series.

Aw goddamnit Blink, I thought I was safe from you here.

BlinkWinkel
Majin
Majin

Postby BlinkWinkel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 am

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

jr2nd
Majin
Majin

Postby jr2nd » Sat May 24, 2014 7:38 am

@op im not angry just disappointed.

I've recently started playing atelier games (got 4 so far) and any game with a Japanese voice over I turn that on with subs, did the same with the disgaea games also.

lets hope someone with sense makes a DLC voice pack :/ -crosses fingers-

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 am

As the Atelier series, from Ayesha onward, isn't published by NISA anymore, it's Tecmo Koei, so you'd have to send the complaints to them.
They did start including it later games though I think. It's too late for Ayesha though.

Return to “Atelier Series”