Constructive Criticisms

Gaze for long into a demon, the demon will gaze back into you...
lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Constructive Criticisms

Postby lopez » Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 pm

What are some things you liked and others that you think need improvements in Demon Gaze?

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Re: Constructive Criticisms

Postby Shizuka » Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Little post-game, no reason for NG+, even though they allow you to do it. Not all demons are useful, some are even better left untouched.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 pm

The lack of customizable skill trees is my biggest complaint. Also more diversity in classes and the option to make the MC something other than a Gazer would be nice. I mean, keep the Demon summoning abilities separate from the selectable class.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Sun May 25, 2014 10:44 pm

When you're given choices in game and they don't really do anything different than the others bothers me. I already made a post about it in the general disscussion thread.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon May 26, 2014 1:22 pm

BlancnOut wrote:When you're given choices in game and they don't really do anything different than the others bothers me. I already made a post about it in the general disscussion thread.

DRPGs (for the most part) aren't known for their stories, so expecting/hoping that your MC's comments affect the story in any meaningful way is more wishful thinking than anything. Even something like Etrian Odyssey III only had a few key decisions that split the route into 1 of 3 endings. DRPG dialogue is mostly just a means to an end or "slice of life" in content at best... :(

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon May 26, 2014 2:14 pm

lopez wrote:
BlancnOut wrote:When you're given choices in game and they don't really do anything different than the others bothers me. I already made a post about it in the general disscussion thread.

DRPGs (for the most part) aren't known for their stories, so expecting/hoping that your MC's comments affect the story in any meaningful way is more wishful thinking than anything. Even something like Etrian Odyssey III only had a few key decisions that split the route into 1 of 3 endings. DRPG dialogue is mostly just a means to an end or "slice of life" in content at best... :(

DRPGs are already extremely budgeted on assets, why can't the devs just put a little more effort into story since they didn't put any effort into graphics, maps, etc?

I would have liked if they added a mapmaking sort of feature. It was annoying that you couldn't put little notes on your map.

The whole thing with getting a quest way early in the game, and being able to get everything done for the quest, excepting actually turning in the items until much farther in the game, was very unnecessary.

I agree with the classes not being very defined

The Wizard class really needed an overhaul. Like....getting lots more MP than the healer, or having INT affect the damage of Wizard bolt.

The equipment restrictions seemed a bit odd. The Gazer's equipment in particular. I mean, you can't even choose the class, so why not just let them equip everything?

this is definitely more subjective in nature, but don't have the normal battle theme have IA music. In fact, just don't use IA at all. Her music is way too slow and just makes battles feel slower than they are.

Let "repeat" repeat item usage, at least for items that have unlimited uses.

Have an "auto-battle" function

Have a function where if the enemies are weak enough, just die, and you get the drops/xp from them.

Make battles a little more exciting? I dunno how, but they were just really boring to get through.

The Demons did seem pretty badly balanced.

Also, improve the Demon AI. They are basically completely random and often do the opposite you want them to do. Like, Nep was supposedly "healing", but never once healed my party at all. She'd just waste turns attacking the enemy. Even when my characters were rather low on HP :|

That's all I can think of at the moment.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Mon May 26, 2014 6:57 pm

It would've been nice if IA's vocals could be turned off. I can't stand vocaloid singing :?

Having a deep story would be nice, though it would detract from the whole "create your own adventure" vibe. Story's are made for premade characters with distinct personalities and agendas. DRPGs, for the most part, are about user freedom and independence.

More variety and quantity in quests would've been nice. Also, I kinda got spoiled on Etrian Odyssey's system of rewarding the player with EXP points too along with an item upon completing a quest. I felt let down with some of the paltry rewards :(

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Tue May 27, 2014 1:07 am

lopez wrote:

I was just saying it bothered me. If you're going to have different choices, at least have different outcomes.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm

BlancnOut wrote:
lopez wrote:

I was just saying it bothered me. If you're going to have different choices, at least have different outcomes.

I'm used to playing RPGs where the choices don't really matter. They're mostly an afterthought.

Dorarnae
Majin
Majin

Postby Dorarnae » Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Shizuka wrote:
BlancnOut wrote:
lopez wrote:

I'm used to playing RPGs where the choices don't really matter. They're mostly an afterthought.

same for me, pretty much there just for different dialogue...

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu May 29, 2014 12:47 pm

BlancnOut wrote:
lopez wrote:

I understand and agree that'd be cool, but it just seems like story development is the last thing most DRPG developers think about when making their games... :cry:

Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl was the closest thing to having a "meaningful" original story (for a DRPG) and even that was underwhelming... :(

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Fri May 30, 2014 4:07 pm

lopez wrote:I understand and agree that'd be cool, but it just seems like story development is the last thing most DRPG developers think about when making their games... :cry:

Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl was the closest thing to having a "meaningful" original story (for a DRPG) and even that was underwhelming... :(

Lol I get it, I was just saying. I guess I'm too used to Bethesda's RPG story branching.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat May 31, 2014 2:57 pm

BlancnOut wrote:
lopez wrote:I understand and agree that'd be cool, but it just seems like story development is the last thing most DRPG developers think about when making their games... :cry:

Lol I get it, I was just saying. I guess I'm too used to Bethesda's RPG story branching.

That would be really cool and a nice extension of the CYOA setup.

At the very least I'd like more of a SMT setup where there're "good", "bad" and "neutral" routes in the game.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:06 am

I don't think the story was that bad, I just think that they should've done without the choices, since they don't change anything but a few lines of text.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:40 am

Well, initially it helps with player immersion. It makes the player feel like they have some impact on how their MC will act.

Return to “Demon Gaze”