Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) ♥ Available Now!

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) ♥ Available Now!

Postby Seventh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:07 am

And that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm going to continue to disagree, however.*

*In the context of this conversation, at least. The game is still enjoyable as it is, as I said previously, though these things do hurt that somewhat.

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:43 am

When it comes to the naming in DR the only issue I had with it were the nick names some of the characters got like "Hina" and "Taka" as I don't think that was necessary at all and in Ishimaru's case out of character. In the Japanese version, the only character that had a nickname was Celestia (Celes) and with her character that worked out fine. If you play the game in Japanese voices for example you'll hear Sakura say "Asahina" whenever she talks to her yet in Asahina's intro she asks Naegi to call her "Hina" yet her best friend is calling her "Asahina"? :? I know its only a problem with the Japanese voices but its still weird regardless.

Also when it comes to the Japanese pronouns like "Naegi-kun" or "Kirigiri-san" whilst it can be a nice addition and make the game seem more Japanese cultural like Persona. In some ways this can also be a bad thing to do as some players won't really care about the Japanese language as I've seen Persona fans for example complain about this as they don't understand its meaning.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 am

Except I basically knew nothing about all the honorifics before playing Persona 3, but I worked them out.
It's nice when a game doesn't treat you like an idiot and expects you to just figure some things out anyway. Besides, I think the manuals had like a brief glossary of terms.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 am

Ringwraith wrote:Except I basically knew nothing about all the honorifics before playing Persona 3, but I worked them out.
It's nice when a game doesn't treat you like an idiot and expects you to just figure some things out anyway. Besides, I think the manuals had like a brief glossary of terms.

I'm not sure how that's really treating you like an idiot. I'd say it would be more doing that if it did what DR did.

If you feel like an idiot because you're being shown the apparently shocking fact that people refer to each other differently in other cultures, that's not on the game. :?

blizdi
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby blizdi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:41 am

Seventh wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Except I basically knew nothing about all the honorifics before playing Persona 3, but I worked them out.

I'm not sure how that's really treating you like an idiot. I'd say it would be more doing that if it did what DR did.

If you feel like an idiot because you're being shown the apparently shocking fact that people refer to each other differently in other cultures, that's not on the game. :?

You are calling HIM an idiot. But you are arguing idiotic things.
Hanamura will end your suffering!

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 am

That's a very convincing argument there. You sure showed me!

No, I'm not calling him an idiot, I'm simply saying it's not the game's fault if he feels that way. That doesn't mean I'm saying "if he feels that way, he must BE one!", just that it's not on the game.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 am

blizdi wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:People referring to last names and such has a culturally different meaning here than it does it in Japan.
Therefore the original 'meaning' can be easily lost if this is maintained without thought, as it will be interpreted in another way by the different audience .

And don't even SAY it was "NISA pandering to a wider audience"

I don't call Michael Jackson "Jackson"

I don't call Robin Williams "Williams"

And neither does ANY western country. Which is why it's a "LOCAL"ization

Ofcourse you don't, not over in the west
But in Japan they do, depending on their relationship status, Dangan Ronpa is set in Japan right? I get mixed messages from the official translation.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:06 am

Seventh wrote:

By something "treating you like an idiot" I mean spelling out every single thing explicitly in the game itself.
It's not like it came up with translation pop-ups every time something was used directly for lack of a better term to convert it to.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

edgy404
Majin
Majin

Postby edgy404 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:
blizdi wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:People referring to last names and such has a culturally different meaning here than it does it in Japan.
Therefore the original 'meaning' can be easily lost if this is maintained without thought, as it will be interpreted in another way by the different audience .

But in Japan they do, depending on their relationship status, Dangan Ronpa is set in Japan right? I get mixed messages from the official translation.

Localization is the process of taking something made in Japan and adapting it to what suits the audience in the country the localized product will be released in. Danganronpa is set in Japan, true, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the localization must adapt every single word, phrases, and honorifics into English. Doing so may alienate those who are interested in buying and playing the localized product. Sure, there are the dedicated fanbase, but I am certain the company that localizes the product will want to guage those who aren't a part of the fanbase as well. Yes, that includes alternating jokes and phrases that only native Japanese speakers would understand into one that the audience of the localized version will understand. After all, if something is catering only towards the fans, then it leaves out those who want to be involved and will want to buy/play said product before deciding to be involved with the first localized product of that series, and catering only towards fans will more or less not see an increase in profit. Stating or wishing that they learn about the country the product originated from will simply alienate them more, rather than release the product, the consumer plays, and the likelihood of becoming more interested in the country of origin. FYI, just because one localization company does it differently does not mean that it is the required localization trend.
FC:1547-5970-9875

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Personally, I don't care what is lost or changed during the translation process. I only care if the end product is enjoyable. This game, and by extension it's English script, exceeded my expectations which is why I'll be buying the next game.
35歳になって漸く2次元の素晴らしさを感じるようになりました
Spoiler:

edgy404
Majin
Majin

Postby edgy404 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:34 pm

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:Personally, I don't care what is lost or changed during the translation process. I only care if the end product is enjoyable. This game, and by extension it's English script, exceeded my expectations which is why I'll be buying the next game.

Same here bro, or chick.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 pm

edgy404 wrote:
Alice Twilight wrote:
blizdi wrote:

Localization is the process of taking something made in Japan and adapting it to what suits the audience in the country the localized product will be released in. Danganronpa is set in Japan, true, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the localization must adapt every single word, phrases, and honorifics into English. Doing so may alienate those who are interested in buying and playing the localized product. Sure, there are the dedicated fanbase, but I am certain the company that localizes the product will want to guage those who aren't a part of the fanbase as well. Yes, that includes alternating jokes and phrases that only native Japanese speakers would understand into one that the audience of the localized version will understand. After all, if something is catering only towards the fans, then it leaves out those who want to be involved and will want to buy/play said product before deciding to be involved with the first localized product of that series, and catering only towards fans will more or less not see an increase in profit. Stating or wishing that they learn about the country the product originated from will simply alienate them more, rather than release the product, the consumer plays, and the likelihood of becoming more interested in the country of origin. FYI, just because one localization company does it differently does not mean that it is the required localization trend.

And that's why Dangan Ronpa 2 will be my last Nisa game, this "We want a wider audience" & "We want to appeal to everybody" is BS, nothing should be altered at all unless a sentence absolutely will not make sense if translated to English, if Chad captain of the football team is playing these games and doesn't like how Japanese it is, he shouldn't request it be Americanized like Dangan Ronpa was so it can appeal to him more.

Game is obviously not meant for him, and if those who have never played a Japanese game before like it, then good for them, we all had to start off somewhere to find out what we like and don't like.

edgy404
Majin
Majin

Postby edgy404 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:
edgy404 wrote:
Alice Twilight wrote:
blizdi wrote:

And that's why Dangan Ronpa 2 will be my last Nisa game, this "We want a wider audience" & "We want to appeal to everybody" is BS, nothing should be altered at all unless a sentence absolutely will not make sense if translated to English, if Chad captain of the football team is playing these games and doesn't like how Japanese it is, he shouldn't request it be Americanized like Dangan Ronpa was so it can appeal to him more.

Well if you are strongly for a company that alienates people and by being biased, narrow minded, practically saying "screw you if you aren't familiar with Japanese, go elsewhere", then feel free to support such a company. Besides, do you think Atlus sticks to the original script almost 100% of the time give and take a few jokes that may not make sense to the localized audience, then think again. You can be a negative Nancy and stomp your feet all around until you get "justice" for a by-the-book word for word video game, or you can enjoy the game as it is localized with the story and premise and gameplay still intact and with minor changes that does not change a darn thing with the game. For those who actually and/or want to enjoy the final localized game, then let them be, let them have their fun. We've all heard what you had to say against NISA and how they handle Danganronpa so many times that now whatever you have to say is practically beaten a dead horse's bones. I understand that you have the right to voice your opinion and that you aren't harming or threatening anyone, especially for a company's forum site that you are against for a game that they are localizing so horribly in your opinion, but there are two things I must address: 1.) It seems like you are fighting a lonely battle with how often you state your dislike for how the company is handling the game. 2.) Whether you continue to rant, complain, whine about you have been saying over and over, it is suggested that you leave your opinion and leave it be if someone disagrees with you. The same can be said about someone's decision, say NISA for example. You wish for other's to respect your opinions whether they agree or disagree, right? Then why not do the same towards the other forum posters and respect NISA's decisions? I am sure they hear you loud and clear, but they (NISA) have made their decision and I am sure they would also like for you to respect it and not see someone who may have the actions of a rebel. Remember, NISA is not Atlus, and Atlus is not NISA, nor is it [insert any other company name], so each company have their own way of carrying out their business and localization process. This is from my point of view from your posts and my suggestion not only towards you but towards those who read this.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Like I said, if they don't like Japanese things, then the game is not for them.
I don't like how Americanized Nisa's Dangan Ronpa is like all of you do.

If they feel alienated because they're playing a game from a foreign country then it sucks to be them. It really does. Us westerners are clearly so xenophobic we can't respect other countries culture, so let's change it.

#Based Xseed
Last edited by Alice Twilight on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm

edgy404 wrote:Well if you are strongly for a company that alienates people and by being biased, narrow minded, practically saying "screw you if you aren't familiar with Japanese, go elsewhere"

I really doubt a more "accurate" translation would result in the company becoming/becoming viewed as something even close to like that.

Frankly I would say there's just as much narrow mindedness in the other approach as well. You win some and you lose some - but these claims that games having more accurate translations would chase people off just strikes me as being really extreme about it.

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”