Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Official forum of this turn-based RPG for the PS3
shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Fairy Fencer F - General Discussion Thread

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue May 05, 2015 2:22 am

Um, just to be clear, I don't actually hate Fang. Granted, I can't really say that I like him all that much but definitely not hate. Though, if nothing else, I do like his overall design. I'm mostly indifferent to him as a character.

I'm just saying that I can understand somewhat where people are coming from when they say they hate him.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Tue May 05, 2015 2:24 am

Hate is still really a strong word.

I'd say a more appropriate word is indifferent if not hate.

Although we know certain people do hate him on here for reasons other than character portrayal.
This is what Ben Carson will do to political correctness. I approve.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 am

I really do think some of the hate against him is because he's a male, picking on a female...or, simply because he isn't a female :lol:

Fang is actually one of my favorite MCs of recent years when it comes to JRPGs anyways. He isn't the BEST character in the world, but...he's a breath of fresh air compared to the typical shounen heroes...or some of the lack of character development that we see in Neptunia :lol:

@shadow - Yeah, that's what I got from your post, hence me simply mentioning the use of loathe...to hate a character enough to use THAT word, there has to be a reasonable reason...since even I, who doesn't like Peashy from Neptunia, would never say I loathed her, since that's a pretty seething hatred :lol:

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 am

I think that Resonance, formerly known as Revis Dumas aka the hentai aficionado, said Fang's sword looked like Neros Red Queen from DMC4.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue May 05, 2015 2:38 am

DragonKingKaiser wrote:Hate is still really a strong word.

Although we know certain people do hate him on here for reasons other than character portrayal.

I don't really think that's your call to make on what is more appropriate though.

If there are people who hate him, for one reason or another, and use the word hate...then they might actually feel that strongly about it. You could maybe argue that they more dislike him than actually hate him but that's about it.

By definition, indifferent means something entirely different than hate. Not caring about a character and disliking a character are two very different things. So maybe I'm just nitpicking at semantics here.

Darcnova wrote:I really do think some of the hate against him is because he's a male, picking on a female...or, simply because he isn't a female

I honestly wouldn't be surprised unfortunately, though the exact percentage is a bit iffy. If looking up comments and news on these kinds of games has taught me anything, gender double-standards is very much a reality.

DragonKingKaiser wrote:...Revis Dumas...

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Used to be one of his subscribers, one of his earliest ones too. I wonder how he's doing now, should probably look him up to find out.
Last edited by shadowmaksim on Tue May 05, 2015 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Tue May 05, 2015 2:40 am

shadowmaksim wrote:
DragonKingKaiser wrote:Hate is still really a strong word.

I don't really think that's your call to make on what is more appropriate though.

If there are people who hate him, for one reason or another, and use the word hate...then they might actually feel that strongly about it. You could maybe argue that they more dislike him than actually hate him but that's about it.

By definition, indifferent means something entirely different than hate. Not caring about a character and disliking a character are two very different things. So maybe I'm just nitpicking at semantics here.

Darcnova wrote:I really do think some of the hate against him is because he's a male, picking on a female...or, simply because he isn't a female

I honestly wouldn't be surprised unfortunately, though the exact percentage is a bit iffy. If looking up comments and news on these kinds of games has taught me anything, gender double-standards is very much a reality.

DragonKingKaiser wrote:...Revis Dumas...

Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I wonder how he's doing now, should probably look up some videos to find out.

Did you not catch the part where I said "if not hate"? If you don't hate him you may as well say something else. Cause if you don't hate him how do you understand the hate? Such a.Powerful word... :|

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 am

DragonKingKaiser wrote:Did you not catch the part where I said "if not hate"? If you don't hate him you may as well say something else.

Hmm, I feel like we are misunderstanding each other here.

Cause if you don't hate him how do you understand the hate? Such a.Powerful word... :|

Just cause I don't feel the same way doesn't mean I can't understand a bit why others can. You don't have to exclusively be part of something to get some sort of understanding of it.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Tue May 05, 2015 3:10 am

shadowmaksim wrote:
DragonKingKaiser wrote:Did you not catch the part where I said "if not hate"? If you don't hate him you may as well say something else.

Hmm, I feel like we are misunderstanding each other here.

Cause if you don't hate him how do you understand the hate? Such a.Powerful word... :|

Just cause I don't feel the same way doesn't mean I can't understand a bit why others can. You don't have to exclusively be part of something to get some sort of understanding of it.

Well I'm of a more concrete thought process then when it comes to understanding emotions. I'm more of a "see what they're saying, but not understand why".

Vert
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Vert » Wed May 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Yeah I didn't like Fang either, he's terribly anodyne in both design and characteristics.
Don't understand why people like him.

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Vert wrote:Yeah I didn't like Fang either, he's terribly anodyne in both design and characteristics.

I personally like him because he's different from the standard, shounen style MC in some regards, among other things, but...to each their own.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed May 06, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't think many people will like things just because they're different, to be fair. :P

I like(d what I saw of) him 'cause he was just awesome, personally. :lol:

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Wed May 06, 2015 6:08 pm

Seventh wrote:I don't think many people will like things just because they're different, to be fair. :P

I like(d what I saw of) him 'cause he was just awesome, personally. :lol:

That's almost as vague as my reasoning :lol:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 pm

He's funny.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

metlspaz
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby metlspaz » Thu May 07, 2015 7:16 am

Darcnova wrote:
Vert wrote:Yeah I didn't like Fang either, he's terribly anodyne in both design and characteristics.

I personally like him because he's different from the standard, shounen style MC in some regards, among other things, but...to each their own.

I like him, since he feels like a throwback to Zelos from Blazing Souls, or like a light version of him. Even wears the same color clothes. He is different form the "norm" of anime trope/cliché heroes, while still being a type of personality that actually exists. Also the fact that it actually shows his growth in his morals and reasoning, however minimal, through the game.

DragonKingKaiser
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby DragonKingKaiser » Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 am

How is his design offensive? And I've seen a lot of characters you like and I'd wonder how they aren't offensive. Although he does have offensive things to say. But CH games are full of belligerently offensive and not so belligerently offensive characters.

The only character of a CH game I would say that I've never seen be offending or that I can remember are Compa and IF.

PS: anodyne means not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so.

Or a pain killer.

Return to “Fairy Fencer F”