htoL #NiQ: The Firefly Diary (PSV - Feb 2015)

Dear diary: I sure hope I don't suffer a brutal death today!
Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: htoL #NiQ: The Firefly Diary (PSV - Feb 2015)

Postby Wdog-999 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Welp, I finally got my LE from NISA. :D
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:54 am

Smh.

I still haven't gotten a reply about the CG mix up, and I'm getting pretty agitated about it. They never have a rep on phone support either.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:09 am

BlancnOut wrote:Smh.

I still haven't gotten a reply about the CG mix up, and I'm getting pretty agitated about it. They never have a rep on phone support either.
Really? I got answers two of the three times I called.

Probably gonna call again next week if it's still not here but it should be on the way now.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 am

Seventh wrote:
BlancnOut wrote:Smh.

Really? I got answers two of the three times I called.

Probably gonna call again next week if it's still not here but it should be on the way now.

What time do you call when they pick up? My classes end at 4pm CT so I usually call around that time.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 am

Time to share my opinions on the game.

Going into it, other than the fact that it was aimed to be more like an "indie" title, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from the game. But what I did get out of the game was a surprisingly pleasant experience.

A little before actually getting the game, I read the Siliconera review of it and I got a bit worried. In the review, the game was called to be unfairly difficult with a lot of cheap deaths and bad controls. Even outside of that, some other random reviews I came across seemed to share a similar sentiment.

But when I finally started the game myself...it was anything but what I read, at least difficult-wise.

The game itself reminds me a lot of "Limbo". it's essentially a puzzle-platformer where you navigate through the environment and get through it while almost everything is out to kill you. Heck, both games actually had quite a few puzzles that operate and look damn near identical to each other. Anyway, the main difference is in how you actually play though. Unlike "Limbo", you don't actually directly control your character, that being a little girl named Mion. You control two firefies, Lumen and Umbra, who helps navigate Mion through everything.

The aesthetic is really good. The art style looks amazing (especially when combined with the light effect from Lumen moving the shadows of all the objects in the room based on its location), the soundtrack really helps build the atmosphere of each area and situation, and the way the story unfolds keeps you guessing and wondering what is really going on. The story in particular since, other then the tutorial explaining the controls to you, you get no dialogue at all. Nothing in the game is explained to you and you are left to try to figure everything out yourself. From solving the puzzles to the story itself.

Now then, the difficulty. I just didn't really notice it all that much. Yes, some situations do get fairly tough (I got stuck myself here and there for a little while), a couple in particular easily entering the "oh come on!" territory, but the vast majority of the game is fairly straightforward. Once you get a grasp on how the game works in regards to using Lumen and Umbra, the puzzles themselves are actually pretty simple. A lot of the death traps give you ample time to figure out how to solve them (especially if you freeze time with Umbra). And even if you die, the game checkpoints after, before, and sometimes even during each puzzle so you barely lose any progress. Like I said before, very few of the puzzles themselves are actually all that cheap. I honestly thought that a lot of them were fairly well done and even a bit creative at times in how you had to solve them.

Overall, I finished the game in around 12 hours I think. I even managed to get the platinum in a little over a day after first starting it (which includes breaks and sleep time, so I wasn't playing it the entire time). It's definitely not a long game at all. But for a game selling at a base-price of $20 (I got the LE for $30), I think this was well worth it.

On a side note, how do people keep missing the fact that you can change the control scheme? Do people, especially reviewers, not normally check option menus anymore?

redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby redsilversnake » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 am

Complaining about complaints about the controls just means you weren't around for the pre-patch Japanese version. One part of the game is infamous for being difficult solely because you only had touch controls. I seriously did not get past that part until the patch added the option to use the analog sticks.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Except I wasn't complaining...like at all. I'm also aware about how the analog controls weren't originally part of the game and were latter patched in.

But even then, how the Japanese version was is completely irrelevant to what I was talking about since all the reviews that I read was of the localized version which had the option for analog controls from the start.

But yes, if the section I'm thinking of is indeed the one you are talking about, it's definitely quite a bit harder if attempted with the touch controls.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am

I'll admit it was a little weird to see reviewers complain that they couldn't change the controls to the analog sticks, and then use that complaint to justify giving the game a low review score. Even weirder was how some reviewers retracted that complaint once the analog control scheme was pointed out to them, yet they didn't bother to update their review scores to reflect that new information.

At any rate, I think quantifying the amount of fun you had playing a game with a "__/10" review score is simplistic and reductive, so I personally don't put much stock in review scores to begin with. I think reviews that read like shadowmaksim's post are much more insightful and informative. I'm glad you had fun with the game. I hope we can release more puzzle titles like this in the future.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

ivanchu77
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ivanchu77 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:58 am

Just obtained the platinum trophy a few minutes ago :D (but some of them were such a pain in the ass to get......that maze in level 2-3 especially :evil: )

and man, i completely loved this game, i didn´t liked the controls but as soon as i changed to analog i had no problem at all with them, the gameplay remind me a little of games like heart of darkness of abe odissey from the playstation 1 and was overall fun to play but i imagine some people can get upset easily since it´s....quite difficult sometimes.

And i definetly wasn´t expecting the game and the story to be as sad as it was, kinda surprised this is a NIS game as they usually make games that are the total opposites of this one with tons of humor xD , really felt like giving Mion a hug and a pat to the heast at least, poor girl :lol: , definetly gave me the feels, and that with only pixel art and no dialog deserves praise

hopefully it did well enough, woudn´t mind seeing more games like this :) , and since i doubt we ever see a sequel or something similar of this game, i would love if they put Mion as a DLC character in games like Disgaea in the future, at least that way the memory of this game will be preserved just like it happened to other old games like makai kingdom or phantom brave that have no sequels but their characters are recurrent DLC (and besides, Mion could have a very original and interesting moveset, especially if we take the last level into acount )

NewGuy
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NewGuy » Sun May 24, 2015 7:38 am

Myself, I am stuck in level 3-3. To be honest I find the game extremely difficult; yet the presentation is beautiful, and Mion–despite being a silent character–is very endearing. Although I am using the analog controls' scheme, I think the game is so hard, for me, because I am really bad at platformerms....
Last edited by NewGuy on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeviathanX
Vassal
Vassal

Postby LeviathanX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:36 pm

I really liked that game. Cute and cruel at the same time :)

The controls, yes I didn't know I could change them until I read a forum post that you can change them... So yes, I played through the whole game with touch controls only. In a way I died a lot, but I think using the touch controls were the original intentions and I spent way more time in total (some passages took me around 2h alone) I guess. The artificial difficulty was something. Oh boy, using the checkpoint after dying while being at specific passages was just a horrible experience :lol: . The puzzles itself, well I'm not one to judge on that. Sometimes I'm kind of slow when it comes to such stuff. I probably died 300% more than other people during the same situation ;) (I got the second death trophy pretty fast!)

IMHO it was worth the Eur 80,- I spent on the LE.

greenzsaber
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby greenzsaber » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:27 am

Fun fact: The plat's name is spelled incorrectly in this game. "Platinium Trophy" :roll:
Spoiler:

Battlechili
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Battlechili » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Playing the PC version of this game, I'm really happy this got ported! So far playing it it seems pretty good! If anything, its certainly artistically gorgeous and the main character is adorable. Its also very atmospheric. Piecing together the story is interesting.

That said, so far I'm finding the game to be frustratingly slow. There is no running in this game; just walking. And sometimes being able to properly move the shadow fairy through a small area is too difficult. Currently I'm stuck at a time-based puzzle, which is making progress frustratingly difficult due to the slow speed.

RandomR
Majin
Majin

Postby RandomR » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 am

Battlechili wrote:Playing the PC version of this game, I'm really happy this got ported!

Same, I picked it up on a whim and I've been happy with the purchase, it's nice they're releasing more of these games on PC.
Thinking about pre ordering Yomawari, seems interesting.

Also thanks for putting this on Steam guys, really hope this trend continues.

PerryComo
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary”