Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Reviews

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Reviews

Postby CTOONfan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 pm

We're around a week away from the release of Ultra Despair Girls, and naturally, reviews are starting to trickle in for the game. This post is for keeping track of the reviews posted for the game. Leave any reviews you find here, and I'll try to keep the master post up to date with them.

GamingTrend- 85/100

Another Episode may not be the game that some Danganronpa fans want, but it’s the game that the series needs. The spin-off shows that there is substance for this series outside the walls of Hope’s Peak while maintaining enough ties to its core story to feel essential.

Push Square - 7/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls admirably steps out of the series' comfort zone in order to spread an entirely new kind of despair, but the result is a game that isn't quite as cohesive as its forebears. A massive amount of dialogue often saps the pace of an otherwise eerily tense third-person adventure, but other than that, this is a welcome addition to the franchise that's well worth experiencing if you're a fan of the maniacal Monokuma and all that he stands for.

OnlySP- 7.5/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is an interesting beast. In a series driven by its intricate plot, an action-focused game sticks out. While the third person shooting is rote, there is more than enough meat on its bones to make it an interesting title. If you’re a fan of the series, you’ll definitely want to pick up Ultra Despair girls, if only for the lore it provides. And if you’re not a fan, become one, because the Danganronpa series is fantastic

Note: According to SP reviewer there's only English Audio available, however NISA stated earlier this year, JPN voices will be available as DLC so this needs clarifying.

Venturebeat- 8.5/10

People who have never played a Danganronpa title probably won’t want to begin here. Go back and play Trigger Happy Havoc, then happily immerse yourself in the continuing storyline of Ultra Despair Girls. At least familiarize yourself with that story before diving in.
If you’re already a Danganronpa fan, however, this makes a great new addition to your collection. You won’t be enthralled by the action, but the story, voice acting, music, light puzzle elements, and additional material will keep you entertained in the 20-plus hours you’ll likely spend playing.

PSNStores- 9.5/10

As I said earlier in this review Another Episode is capable of standing on its own, presenting a fresh take on Danganronpa, while also adding a lot to the overall narrative.

HardcoreGamer- 8/10

As long as you’re aware of the middling shooter gameplay which takes up about half the experience, you’ll still be able to enjoy the outrageous, hilarious, depressing and ultimately impressive writing of Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls.

GodIsAGeek- 8/10

With a masochistic and mature plot keeping the series feeling as despair-filled as ever, and a fresh combat system that encourages players do the killing by their own hand, this is a wonderfully wicked title that will satisfy new players and scratch the itch of those returning to the series.

Anime News Network- B-

Ultra Despair Girls' inconsistent tone and passable gameplay combine for a bitter taste that obscures the delicate notes of commentary lingering beneath the surface.

GameSpot- 7/10

If Ultra Despair Girls didn’t have so much else going for it, it would be a mostly-mediocre quasi-survival-horror-shooter with a few high points. But even with some very obvious gameplay issues, the sheer strength of the game’s setting, story, characters, and style manages to overshadow everything else, turning this into an absolute must-play for anyone already invested in the Danganronpa universe.

3DJuegos- 7.5/10

This third iteration of the successful graphical novel saga from Bandai Namco changes part of its gameplay mechanics in favor of the shooter experience. Not as good as the previous games, but attractive enough.

Note: This review is in Spanish.

IGN Spain- 7.5/10

Once again the Danganronpa games have their highs in the narrative. Everything else is not great, starting with the pacing and continuing with the gameplay mechanics implemented within the 3rd person sections.

PlayStation LifeStyle- 8/10

It’s certainly no replacement for Danganronpa 3, and I find myself pining for that announcement, but Ultra Despair Girls surprised me far more than I thought it could.

Vandal Online- 7.2/10

The change is definitely good, but it doesn't reach the excellence of the main titles of the series. Still, it's a great choice while we wait for Danganronpa 3.

Attack of the Fanboy- 3.5/5

Some pacing issues and a lack of memorable characters prevent Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls from attaining the lofty heights set by its predecessors, but it’s still an adventure that’s well worth taking.

Game Informer- 5.5/10

Ultra Despair Girls would be easier to bear if it were just an incidental side story that fans could ignore. Unfortunately, it is important to understanding the world of Danganronpa, but the gameplay and dialogue make you suffer every step of the way.

GameCritics- 75 (couldn't find review score on page)

Ultra Despair Girls could've been a dynamite ten-hour experience. Unfortunately, it clocks in at about twice that length and runs out of gas long before credits roll. However, spending time with Komaru and Toko remains worthwhile despite the filler and late-game sluggishness, and this genre-switch is definitely a must-play for series fans.

Destructoid- 6.5/10

Ultimately, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls just didn't click for me the same way previous games did.

The Vita Lounge- 4.8/5

I wholeheartedly recommend Ultra Despair Girls to anyone who has played the first two games in the series - it may not be exactly what you're used to, but it fits so well into the universe the games have created that the differences won't negatively effect your enjoyment at all... and may even enhance it.

Digitally Downloaded- 4.5/5

Danganronpa Another Episode ends up being an experiment that works, in taking the original games and doing something so completely different to them. It lacks the jump scares, monsters, and a significant difficulty level of the horror franchises that it aspires to be a part of, but is so unsettling is its narrative and vision that it is one of the most genuine, affecting horror games I have ever played.

RPGSite- 9/10

Overall, DanganRonpa: Another Episode is a fantastic entry in the franchise and far more worth your time than the "spin-off" status would imply. In spite of its sub-par combat mechanics, fans of the series will find plenty to love about this fascinating and intense lore-furthering side-story, from the colorful cast of dysfunctional characters to the simple yet memorable puzzles.

DualPixels- 8.2/10

Ultra Despair Girls’ story is very interesting and the world gets fleshed out by all of the collectibles found in the world. However, if you are looking for a solid third person shooter, this game is not for you. I will say that the voice for Shirokuma was fucking amazing.

OtakuStudy- B+

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls proved to be an overall enjoyable and satisfying spin-off title. It features a strong storyline which is darker than its predecessors, a new visual style that features the Danganronpa flair and approachable third-person action gameplay. However, the balance between gameplay and storyline did hinder my experience a little bit, and I wouldn’t have objected to more of an opportunity to enjoy what proved to be a competently designed action-oriented battle system.

GearNuke- 9/10

Thanks to its enjoyable albeit easy game design coupled with an engaging plot, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls manages to retain the spirit of its visual novel roots. It’s a must-have game for fans of the series, and also a great way to ease newcomers into the quirky, humorous, and mysterious world of Danganronpa.

DieHardGameFan- Unknown rating so based on what reviewer said..6/10

If you’re a big fan of the franchise, Ultra Despair Girls will probably be fine to play through once, but it’s not going to be the memorable experience its predecessors were, and you probably won’t want to come back to it the way you might have wanted to for the prior games. I still have high hopes for the third game, but this was just a letdown compared to the prior entries, and while it was okay, that’s honestly all it was.

WeGotThisCovered- 6/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls isn’t bad, though it’s still far and away the weakest entry in the series. I don’t blame Spike Chunsoft for wanting to try something different, but the gameplay can feel bland, the story and characters aren’t as interesting, and despite being shorter than the previous games, the way things are paced and presented makes it feel longer than it needed to be. Danganronpa diehards may still have a decent time with the game, but they definitely shouldn’t go in expecting the next killer app for the Vita.

ZTGD- 8.5/10

Despite the drastic change in gameplay styles, Ultra Despair Girls succeeds not only in staying true to the overall tone and feel of the series, but also in providing a fresh experience to the fans that might have grown weary of the visual novel formula.

Metro GameCentral- 5/10

A disappointing spin-off from the excellent mainline games, and although the script is as sharp as ever the move into action game territory just does not work.

Metacritic score: 72
Last edited by CTOONfan1 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Reviews

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:07 am

Although, for some reason, there's different embargo dates for different regions!
Which is pointlessly annoying.
Please don't do that.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:35 am

A few more reviews to add:

Push Square - 7/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls admirably steps out of the series' comfort zone in order to spread an entirely new kind of despair, but the result is a game that isn't quite as cohesive as its forebears. A massive amount of dialogue often saps the pace of an otherwise eerily tense third-person adventure, but other than that, this is a welcome addition to the franchise that's well worth experiencing if you're a fan of the maniacal Monokuma and all that he stands for.

OnlySP- 7.5/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is an interesting beast. In a series driven by its intricate plot, an action-focused game sticks out. While the third person shooting is rote, there is more than enough meat on its bones to make it an interesting title. If you’re a fan of the series, you’ll definitely want to pick up Ultra Despair girls, if only for the lore it provides. And if you’re not a fan, become one, because the Danganronpa series is fantastic

Note: According to SP reviewer there's only English Audio available, however NISA stated earlier this year, JPN voices will be available as DLC so this needs clarifying.

Venturebeat- 8.5/10

People who have never played a Danganronpa title probably won’t want to begin here. Go back and play Trigger Happy Havoc, then happily immerse yourself in the continuing storyline of Ultra Despair Girls. At least familiarize yourself with that story before diving in.
If you’re already a Danganronpa fan, however, this makes a great new addition to your collection. You won’t be enthralled by the action, but the story, voice acting, music, light puzzle elements, and additional material will keep you entertained in the 20-plus hours you’ll likely spend playing.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:48 am

Another few more to add:

PSNStores- 9.5/10

As I said earlier in this review Another Episode is capable of standing on its own, presenting a fresh take on Danganronpa, while also adding a lot to the overall narrative.

HardcoreGamer- 8/10

As long as you’re aware of the middling shooter gameplay which takes up about half the experience, you’ll still be able to enjoy the outrageous, hilarious, depressing and ultimately impressive writing of Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls.

GodIsAGeek- 8/10

With a masochistic and mature plot keeping the series feeling as despair-filled as ever, and a fresh combat system that encourages players do the killing by their own hand, this is a wonderfully wicked title that will satisfy new players and scratch the itch of those returning to the series.

Metacritic Score: 81

Edit: Apologies I unintentionally double posted, would a mod mind merging this post with the one above?
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:36 am

Hmm... so far so good, I guess. Here's one I found:

Anime News Network - B-

Ultra Despair Girls' inconsistent tone and passable gameplay combine for a bitter taste that obscures the delicate notes of commentary lingering beneath the surface.

Now that I really look at it, I'm not sure how A+, A, B-, and A+ add together to become an overall B-. Maybe it's a weighted system?

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:34 am

Yay! Very positive reviews so far! Most of the complaints seem to be about the controls, which, y'know, Vita.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

G3n3raL86
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby G3n3raL86 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 am

^^^Alles gut, alles gut:)
My Street Fighter 4 FanFiction Project: fav.me/d3k2f2f

PSN ID: G3n3raL986, everywhere else (XBL, NNID, Steam, Skype): G3n3raL86

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 pm

GameSpot- 7/10

If Ultra Despair Girls didn’t have so much else going for it, it would be a mostly-mediocre quasi-survival-horror-shooter with a few high points. But even with some very obvious gameplay issues, the sheer strength of the game’s setting, story, characters, and style manages to overshadow everything else, turning this into an absolute must-play for anyone already invested in the Danganronpa universe.

3DJuegos- 7.5/10

This third iteration of the successful graphical novel saga from Bandai Namco changes part of its gameplay mechanics in favor of the shooter experience. Not as good as the previous games, but attractive enough.

IGN Spain- 7.5/10

Once again the Danganronpa games have their highs in the narrative. Everything else is not great, starting with the pacing and continuing with the gameplay mechanics implemented within the 3rd person sections.

PlayStation LifeStyle- 8/10

It’s certainly no replacement for Danganronpa 3, and I find myself pining for that announcement, but Ultra Despair Girls surprised me far more than I thought it could.

Metacritic Score - 79

That's still fine.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Vandal Online- 7.2/10

The change is definitely good, but it doesn't reach the excellence of the main titles of the series. Still, it's a great choice while we wait for Danganronpa 3.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Attack of the Fanboy- 3.5/5

Some pacing issues and a lack of memorable characters prevent Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls from attaining the lofty heights set by its predecessors, but it’s still an adventure that’s well worth taking.

Metacritic rating: 78

It's fine. It's all fine. We're still only one point below Until Dawn's rating, and that game's amazing.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Game Informer- 5.5/10

Ultra Despair Girls would be easier to bear if it were just an incidental side story that fans could ignore. Unfortunately, it is important to understanding the world of Danganronpa, but the gameplay and dialogue make you suffer every step of the way.

Metacritic score: 74

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:07 am

GameCritics- 75 (couldn't find review score on page)

Ultra Despair Girls could've been a dynamite ten-hour experience. Unfortunately, it clocks in at about twice that length and runs out of gas long before credits roll. However, spending time with Komaru and Toko remains worthwhile despite the filler and late-game sluggishness, and this genre-switch is definitely a must-play for series fans.

Destructoid- 6.5/10

Ultimately, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls just didn't click for me the same way previous games did.

Metacritic score: 73

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 pm

We're back in the green!

The Vita Lounge- 4.8/5

I wholeheartedly recommend Ultra Despair Girls to anyone who has played the first two games in the series - it may not be exactly what you're used to, but it fits so well into the universe the games have created that the differences won't negatively effect your enjoyment at all... and may even enhance it.

Digitally Downloaded- 4.5/5

Danganronpa Another Episode ends up being an experiment that works, in taking the original games and doing something so completely different to them. It lacks the jump scares, monsters, and a significant difficulty level of the horror franchises that it aspires to be a part of, but is so unsettling is its narrative and vision that it is one of the most genuine, affecting horror games I have ever played.

Metacritic score: 75

Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Mirai » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:00 am

More reviews:

RPGSite- 9/10

Overall, DanganRonpa: Another Episode is a fantastic entry in the franchise and far more worth your time than the "spin-off" status would imply. In spite of its sub-par combat mechanics, fans of the series will find plenty to love about this fascinating and intense lore-furthering side-story, from the colorful cast of dysfunctional characters to the simple yet memorable puzzles.

DualPixels- 8.2/10

Ultra Despair Girls’ story is very interesting and the world gets fleshed out by all of the collectibles found in the world. However, if you are looking for a solid third person shooter, this game is not for you. I will say that the voice for Shirokuma was fucking amazing.

OtakuStudy- B+

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls proved to be an overall enjoyable and satisfying spin-off title. It features a strong storyline which is darker than its predecessors, a new visual style that features the Danganronpa flair and approachable third-person action gameplay. However, the balance between gameplay and storyline did hinder my experience a little bit, and I wouldn’t have objected to more of an opportunity to enjoy what proved to be a competently designed action-oriented battle system.

GearNuke- 9/10

Thanks to its enjoyable albeit easy game design coupled with an engaging plot, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls manages to retain the spirit of its visual novel roots. It’s a must-have game for fans of the series, and also a great way to ease newcomers into the quirky, humorous, and mysterious world of Danganronpa.

DieHardGameFan- Unknown rating so based on what reviewer said..6/10

If you’re a big fan of the franchise, Ultra Despair Girls will probably be fine to play through once, but it’s not going to be the memorable experience its predecessors were, and you probably won’t want to come back to it the way you might have wanted to for the prior games. I still have high hopes for the third game, but this was just a letdown compared to the prior entries, and while it was okay, that’s honestly all it was.

WeGotThisCovered- 6/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls isn’t bad, though it’s still far and away the weakest entry in the series. I don’t blame Spike Chunsoft for wanting to try something different, but the gameplay can feel bland, the story and characters aren’t as interesting, and despite being shorter than the previous games, the way things are paced and presented makes it feel longer than it needed to be. Danganronpa diehards may still have a decent time with the game, but they definitely shouldn’t go in expecting the next killer app for the Vita.

ZTGD- 8.5/10

Despite the drastic change in gameplay styles, Ultra Despair Girls succeeds not only in staying true to the overall tone and feel of the series, but also in providing a fresh experience to the fans that might have grown weary of the visual novel formula.

CTOONfan1
Majin
Majin

Postby CTOONfan1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Metro GameCentral- 5/10

A disappointing spin-off from the excellent mainline games, and although the script is as sharp as ever the move into action game territory just does not work.

Metacritic score: 72

Return to “Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls”