Gravity Rush Series (PS4/Vita)

A place for everybody to talk about anything game-related.
Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Gravity Rush (Vita) + Gravity Rush 2?

Postby Nuhji » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:29 am

lopez wrote:
Darcnova wrote:Well seeing as Vita TV is just...A vita for the TV, that's kinda selfish :/

The Vita needs more games like this, Tearaway and LBP that utilize the Vita's various abilites/tech, otherwise Sony is just undermining their own product(s).

although it doesn't need games that (at least from what it sounds like to me) overuses the features like AC3L xD
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Gravity Rush Series (Vita)

Postby Seventh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 am

Agh, yeah, AC3L was kinda awful with some of the stuff it had you doing. I'm still amazed I beat it.

Nuhji
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Nuhji » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 am

Seventh wrote:Agh, yeah, AC3L was kinda awful with some of the stuff it had you doing. I'm still amazed I beat it.

I haven't played in idk how long cause dem Vita control Gimmicks make it hard to progress
PSN: Nuhji8, NNID: Nuhji9, 3ds FC: 4210-5022-3943

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Ah-ha! There is a Gravity Rush thread after all! Well, it's a 2-years-dead Gravity Rush thread, but I figure it's best to rez an old thread than create a duplicate.

On the other hand, that "Vita" in the title is...rather unfortunate under the circumstances.

Gravity Rush 2 has, at long last, gotten both a new trailer and a tentative release date (2016).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMwmaxZc8WE

A remastered version of the first Gravity Rush has also been announced. Both games are slated for PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ781khBL4w

Not only that, but it looks like a Gravity Rush anime is in the works as well!

http://nichegamer.com/2015/09/gravity-rush-is-getting-an-anime-adaptation/

Gotta say, I'm really glad for all the attention Sony is giving the franchise. They seem to be putting some weight behind it. And since the first game was their best new IP in years, I'm glad it's finally getting the care it deserves.

I'm also very intrigued by the anime announcement. I think that, if they put some thought into it, GR would be a good pick for an anime adaptation. The artstyle is reminiscent of studio ghibli and moebius's comics, something which we don't often see in modern anime. I hope they fill in the plot a bit, though. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of GR's plot is "weird". Don't get me wrong, I love the weird. But there's a lot of stuff left dangling at the end of the first game.

In fact, one of the things I really need from the sequel is some answers. I mean, is this a story about the end of the world or not? I get the feeling that it is, but I'm not sure.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Quillbell, you're back!

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Shizuka wrote:Quillbell, you're back!

Yup~ Popped in to see what was up and decided to raise your Gravity Rush thread from the dead (as well as take the opportunity to make my avatar bigger. Now that's new).

Why is nobody talking about this game?! It's one of the most interesting things I've played in ages! I can't wait for the sequel because at least this means I might be getting some goddamn answers. :lol:

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aushria » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Welcome back Quill ~

Also I agree. This was possible one of my favorite announcements of TGS. Gravity Rush was my second PS Vita game; the first being Diva F, it was just... a ground breaking game for me. The story was compelling, the style was enticing and the world is shrouded in so much mystery that I can't help but want more.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Aushria wrote:Welcome back Quill ~

Thank you!

Aushria wrote:Also I agree. This was possible one of my favorite announcements of TGS. Gravity Rush was my second PS Vita game; the first being Diva F, it was just... a ground breaking game for me. The story was compelling, the style was enticing and the world is shrouded in so much mystery that I can't help but want more.

Gravity Rush was the game I bought my Vita for. Still think it was 100% worth it. It's pretty much my ideal game. Female protagonist, flying, gorgeous music, and tons of references to Moebius (one of my favourite artists of all time)~ It's so perfect that I'm astonished it ever got greenlit.

I know some people are disappointed at it being moved to PS4, but at least this way more people will be able to experience it.

Also! Have you guys seen the supplemental comics that are out there? The Gravity Rush wiki's collected them all here:

http://gravityrush.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_Days

Most of them are just about Kat's everyday life, but the last one actually gives you some additional insight on what's going on during the game. Specifically, how the heck Raven got into that rift plane.

Another cool new thing is that, while Kat and Raven look the same, Syd's got a new outfit for GR2!

Looks like he's out of uniform this time.

And is it just me, or did anybody else find Syd super shady? I think he's more connected to the larger story than we realize yet.

Aushria
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aushria » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:31 pm

I had no seen or heard of those comics, I'll have to give them a look sometime. Been craving more Gravity Rush since the third time I finished the game. >_<

Quillbell wrote:And is it just me, or did anybody else find Syd super shady? I think he's more connected to the larger story than we realize yet.

I always thought his identity was PRETTY obvious.

To avoid spoilers though...

Spoiler:

I am convinced that Syd is Alias, always have been. The fake gem bit was what made me aware of it the first ti me, but the deram events and subsequent encounters after the gem... just hit it home so damn hard.

The fact that Syd was always around when Alias was is also a MASSIVE scum-tell.AFAIC

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:43 am

Aushria wrote:I had no seen or heard of those comics, I'll have to give them a look sometime. Been craving more Gravity Rush since the third time I finished the game. >_<

Yeah, I'm on my third playthrough right now. Trying to take my time with this one so I can experience everything I can. Also doing all the DLC at the parts of the story they're supposed to be done at as well.

Aushria wrote:I always thought his identity was PRETTY obvious.

Ha! Oh good, it wasn't just me, then.

Spoiler:
I waffled back and forth between thinking Syd is Alias and not.

On the one hand, he'd have to either have a split personality or be one hell of a good actor to keep up the act of being friendly airheaded Syd while also being Alias the Phantom Thief.

On the other hand, there's the gem thing. The fact they're never seen in the same place. And Kat recognizing the unmasked Alias in her dream. Syd also recognizes - and is recognized by - Awakened Cyanea.

But if Syd is Alias, then that brings Alias's motives into question, because I never got the sense that Syd wanted to hurt Kat. In fact, he's the character that helps her out the most throughout the story.

However, if you think about it, Alias never actually hurts Kat either. For a villain, he's kind of harmless. And he does seem to be trying to help her when he shows up in her dream. He also seems to know about her former identity as the queen at the top of the pillar.

Also - and I just noticed this thanks to the better resolution in GR1 Remastered's trailer - Alias has a belt buckle with a sun symbol on it. The same symbol that's on Kat's starting outfit. I wonder if Alias might have been someone who knew Kat in her previous life, and followed her down the pillar for some reason. With all the time dilation and weirdness going on, it wouldn't be a stretch if Alias reached Helseville even before Kat finished falling.

At this point, I'm gonna say that Syd is very likely Alias. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some alter-ego/split personality stuff going on.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Gravity Rush Series (PS4/Vita)

Postby Quillbell » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 am

I poke my head into this thread and nobody's posted the new GR2 trailer?! C'mon guys.

New Trailer

E3 Gameplay Demo

The Playstation Blog also hosted an interview with creative director Keiichiro Toyama (who also created the Silent Hill and Siren series).

One thing I found very interesting was when he talked about some of his inspirations for Gravity Rush.

Maintaining influences from classic comic book tales such as Mœbius and Alejandro Jodorowsky’s The Incal, Gravity Rush 2 also features some of Toyama-san’s favorite manga and anime.

“I really like Kamen Rider,” laughs Toyama-san, referring to the brilliantly odd-looking Japanese super hero. “So you’ll see even more elements of that in the game. You can also see the Sailor Moon influences, especially when the characters in the game are doing their finishing moves and dynamic poses.

This is so cool~ I love how eclectic the influences are. Moebius is one of my favourite artists ever, and combining that with Sailor Moon? It's like this guy is making my perfect game without even trying.

Also, I was recently able to buy the Remaster and I highly recommend it to everyone with a PS4. Even if you already played it on Vita. Aside from looking absolutely gorgeous, the controls are a lot easier to get a handle on. In particular the gravity slide (though I'll miss flicking to gravity-slide-jump).

Plus, you can take advantage of the PS4's media capture features!

Alantor2013
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Alantor2013 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 pm

I first got into Gravity Rush when I purchased the Vita version a long time ago and loved it despite having differculty mastering the controls for the Vita, but now I got the PS4 Remastered which I hope is much easier than the Vita version.

And Kat has become one of my favorite characters so far as a Playstation character. Hopefully, Gravity Rush 2 will have Kat finally discovering who she is and what her destiny is and where the Nevi came from.

Say, has anyone have fanart of Kat? I know it's not a picture thread, but would love to see either Kat in a swimsuit or something.

And GR is getting an anime series or OVA?
Asuna from Sword Art Online is actually hot! :P
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth IS
Record of Agarest War: Xover Edition

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Alantor2013 wrote:And Kat has become one of my favorite characters so far as a Playstation character. Hopefully, Gravity Rush 2 will have Kat finally discovering who she is and what her destiny is and where the Nevi came from.

Everything I've heard indicates that this is the game where we'll be getting some answers. I even heard the producer refer to it in one of the E3 streams as "the conclusion to Kat's story" which is interesting. Though he also referred to it as a continuation, so maybe he just misspoke.

Alantor2013 wrote:Say, has anyone have fanart of Kat? I know it's not a picture thread, but would love to see either Kat in a swimsuit or something.

There's a great deal of fanart out there, though a good chunk of it is kinda...gross. I mean, I get it, it's the internet, what can you do? But the game itself has such phenomenal art that I was hoping that creativity would elevate the quality of the fanart as well.

Pixiv is a good place to start, though. Here's some of my favourites.

Spoiler:

There's a lot going on in this picture, but I think it works. And I like how the artist included all of the characters. I feel that not many people acknowledge what a great ensemble cast Gravity Rush had. Kat's an amazing main character, but the secondary characters were tons of fun too.

Spoiler:

I like this image for the pose. This artist has a great style and they make Kat look really badass here.

Spoiler:

This is a more traditional piece of Gravity Rush fanart in terms of pose and content (90% of them are like this), but this is a particularly good example. I love the lighting.

Tumblr also has some good art.

Spoiler:

I like this one because the pose is so whimsical and it gives Kat a lot of personality. Bonus points for the background, as Hekseville itself is almost a character in its own right.

Spoiler:

This one's set in the Mirage! My favourite Rift Plane design-wise, though it was such a pain in the ass to play through. This picture looks like it might've been traditionally painted.

Honestly, though, the best Gravity Rush art you're gonna find is from the game itself. The Remaster has a gallery that contains all of the concept art, a lot of it for areas that were ultimately left out of the final game. I'll put together a selection of my favourites if you'd like to see.

Alantor2013 wrote:And GR is getting an anime series or OVA?

Last I heard, it's getting a (likely short) anime set in between the end of Gravity Rush and the beginning of Gravity Rush 2. I was excited to hear that it's going to be an all-new story rather than a retread of the plot of the game. But Gravity Rush has always been good about releasing new stories in its side-materials. Have you read the Gravity Days comics?

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 am

The release date will be announced on July 19th!

Crossing my fingers that it'll be a simultaneous release in both Japan and North America. The English version shown at E3 looked pretty done.

Quillbell
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Quillbell » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 pm

And the release date has been announced!

November 30th in Europe, and December 2nd for Japan and North America. Interesting that Europe gets something first for once. :lol:

There's a new trailer with the announcement.

As well as 15 minutes of gameplay footage, which I highly recommend watching. The beauty of this game just took my breath away.

There's also a new character reveal. Her name is Angel, and she's some sort of costumed superhero.

And it looks like we'll be going back to Hekseville! At least for part of the game. That scene with Angel looks like it's taking place in Auldnoir.

Here's some more screenshots:

The white outfit is a pre-order bonus costume for Kat.

They're still doing the comic-style cutscenes, though apparently there will be more moving cutscenes as well.

Return to “General Chat”