General Neptunia Discussion

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: General Neptunia Discussion

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:30 am

Question, was a thread made for that Chaos FTP card game?

And Free-to-Play mixed with IF/CH is not a pleasant juice to swallow. :lol:

LoweeIsLove
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby LoweeIsLove » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:Question, was a thread made for that Chaos FTP card game?

And Free-to-Play mixed with IF/CH is not a pleasant juice to swallow. :lol:

I could make one :P
Games I'm currently playing: Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force [PS4], Megadimension Neptunia VII [PS4], Pokemon Moon [3DS]
Backlog: Superdimension Neptune [PSV], Tales of Xillia [PS3], and many more...
Source

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Nepgear, Idea Factory and Compile Heart wishes you a Merry Nepmas!!!

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 am

Rie Tanaka (voice for Neptune) wrote on her blog that she did a work related to Neptune (noting the announcement will be done later), and she was shocked when she saw what kind of work it is (as in "surprised", not "horrified").

http://ameblo.jp/rie-tanaka/entry-12237 ... 1484280306

It's likely that this is related to the possible announcement during the "Dengeki Premium Stream" (29th Jan) regarding the franchise. It was already said that it'll be "very different" from what people are expecting.

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 am

Im just leaving this here....

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:53 am

Xander Xan678 wrote:Image
Im just leaving this here....

Spoiler:

No wonder I heard something...disturbingly familiar in Speedbump's voice when I first watched the JoJo animu...
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 am

I need to ask something, is it true that the Nep games has 2 main writters?

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:55 am

They usually don't advertise that much, but in general for example the DLC characters are generally written by someone else. Shingo Onodera, VII's director, started working on some DLC characters in V I believe.

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:54 pm

I see, although when I looked for his name, it says that he was pretty much the Director of every Neptunia game since the original

Yasanagi
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Yasanagi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 am

So we know Neptunia by now. Essentially a series dedicated to providing an imgur album's worth of cute girl pictures with some story and dialogue attached. Which isn't a bad thing intrinsically at all; you get people in with a surface appeal and then keep them around with actually meaty stuff that they sink their teeth into. Problem is that, with each instalment, Neptunia tends to take the meat away and provide a whole new album with slightly touched up character portraits. What I'm trying to get at is that the series doesn't really do the whole "game world" concept justice; at the most basic level, it's just a vehicle by which to deliver cute girls (sprites) doing cute things (CGs). You wouldn't be missing out on much if you just checked for Neptunia art on a Google search.

But I came across this quote a while back. It really made me stop and think for a moment. I'll share it with you:

Terry Pratchett, Hogfather wrote:“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

Many thanks to Taranea for introducing me to this quote by proxy via Burning Arrow, Wildfire Heart because she ripped it off. Anyway, as I pondered this quote, my thoughts drifted back to Neptunia for, through my fanfiction, I have shackled myself to this series instead of something better like Yu-Gi-Oh! or RWBY or Game of Thrones. But why Neptunia? Because one way of telling a story is through a video game.

Let's talk about video games for a moment. Unlike books or movies or songs, they have you live a story. Take Mass Effect for example; the world is constructed (partly) through your actions and they ultimately dictate the fates of those around you. Whether you get the ending you desire is dependant entirely on how you act as opposed to a bunch of arbitrary conditions that causally do jack all.
My point is, games are important because they make you the knight that rescues the princess, you the hapless child who falls into a strange new world of hurt to be healed. Most importantly, video games are important because it's because of you that you get a happy ending. Stories help us believe in things that aren't true because that's how they become so. Video games simulate this very process.

It's not often you get a series that's perfectly well-cut for a premise that focuses on this idea. Not that I will ever expect Neptunia to do anything along those lines, though. As a matter of fact, with the status quo as it is, I don't think it can. It'd take another reboot, or some gaiden game.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”