Why no release in Canada, Mexico and certain areas of Europe

Official Black Rock Shooter The Game for PSP Discussion Forum
Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Why no release in Canada, Mexico and certain areas of Eu

Postby Houk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Motion Blue wrote:Will there be any other attempts to get it for Canada or any other countries currently excluded? I want this game, I want to give my money to NISA.

Unfortunately, there really isn't any way to get past the issues preventing release in those countries.

アクターレ
Majin
Majin

Postby アクターレ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:12 pm

See, this is generally why I am against digital downloads. If this was a disc, it would be simple to import. But to get it outside of the States, one now has to jump through hoops.

I'm not too upset about this though since I already have the Japanese UMD and wasn't planning on buying this anyway since I don't buy digital download games or DLC out of principle (I like to own what I buy).

By the way, out of curiosity, what language options does the NIS release have?

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Motion Blue wrote:Also, you can't register a US account unless you have a US IP.

I really doubt that's the case since I know that restriction doesn't exist in other regions. US would have to be the only one.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 am

Daverost wrote:
Motion Blue wrote:Also, you can't register a US account unless you have a US IP.

I really doubt that's the case since I know that restriction doesn't exist in other regions. US would have to be the only one.

I know that is not true as I have a US account. :roll:
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

アクターレ
Majin
Majin

Postby アクターレ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:07 am

Actually, there is no IP address restrictions on accessing the PSN itself.

However, individual content CAN be blocked by IP if a publisher desires. For example, all movies, music and anime on the PSN is in fact region locked by IP address.

I can confirm that even with a Japanese PS3 and Japanese PSN account, I cannot access most of the video content from the Japanese PlayStation Store.

Also, it is important to note that games can be region locked based on the console region as well. For example, if you make a US PSN account, you can buy, download and install Persona 4 Arena from any country on any region PS3. HOWEVER, the game will refuse to boot unless your PS3 is a USA/Canada or Mexico/South American model.

However, luckily Black Rock Shooter does not contain either restriction.

Note that USA and Canada both have the same PS3/PSP/PS Vita models, so it is 100% impossible to region lock something to work in the US but not Canada based on the hardware itself. The most they can do is IP lock you from purchasing it, for online purchases at least. They can't block physical media at all though.

It is important to remember that PS3, PSP and PS Vita are NOT region free consoles, they are simply consoles that give the developer the CHOICE to leave the game region free or to region lock it, and the vast majority choose not to region lock.

If you are curious as to how many PS3 region codes there are, there is a list here:

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Regions

The PSP and PS Vita use the same region codes.

It's also important to note that the devs can specify precisely what regions are allowed and which are not. For example, the Japanese version of P4A allows Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, and Singapore / Malaysia, but blocks all the other regions.

The Japanese demo version of Metal Gear Rising on the other hand blocked all regions except Japan.

Tokiko
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tokiko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 am

So wait this isnt going to be available on Canada PSN? Boooooooo..... I already have the Import UMD but I really wanted the english version as well.

Is their anyway possible to cheat the system to get it from the PS3 to a Vita using the data transfer option? Or is it totally impossible without completely reformatting it?

Basically, Making a US account>DLing the game>Transfer it somehow to a Canadian account>Transfer it to the Vita>have it work? Or am I just kidding myself T_T?

3Fox
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby 3Fox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am

Tokiko wrote:So wait this isnt going to be available on Canada PSN? Boooooooo..... I already have the Import UMD but I really wanted the english version as well.

Is their anyway possible to cheat the system to get it from the PS3 to a Vita using the data transfer option? Or is it totally impossible without completely reformatting it?

Basically, Making a US account>DLing the game>Transfer it somehow to a Canadian account>Transfer it to the Vita>have it work? Or am I just kidding myself T_T?

There is a method, sort of. You can download the game to the PS3 using the US account, but you could then only transfer the game to a Vita using that US account. So, you would have to switch back and forth between accounts whenever you want to switch from/to playing the game. As for switching accounts on the Vita, there are 2 methods, one involving the use of 2 memory cards which goes by quickly enough (less than 5 minutes?), and another that only requires 1 memory card, but can take a lot longer (and is probably what you meant by "completely reformatting it").

Do note that with the 1 memory card option, you can create a backup before formatting the memory card so as to not lose any data. It is an annoying hoop to jump through, but it works and only costs time.

Instructions for account swapping copied and pasted from another thread (note that the time estimates for backup are now less than they were):
Spoiler:
1. With multiple memory cards, I recommend first turning the power off and removing your memory card so that you don't accidentally hit yes when it asks if you want to format the memory card and since you'll be removing it at some point anyway. The first required step is to go to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system. If you do not have a memory card in the device, go ahead and hit yes to all questions. If you still have the memory card in the device, say yes that you want to deactivate your account and yes you want to restore the Vita to factory settings, and no to formatting your card (don't remember question order, but these are the important ones). When the device restarts, if it does not ask you to set clock/account/etc. then you'll need to go back to settings>format>restore PS Vita system and this time saying yes to the reset to factory settings questions will reset it. Set it up however you want (probably English and your time zone) and log in with the PSN account you want to use. Turn it off, insert the memory card you have for that account, and go to settings>Playstation Network>System Activation (first option under +Automatic Update Settings)>Game (first option)>Activate (first option).

2. With just one memory card, you will first want to create a backup on your PC or PS3 (probably PC as PS3 memory is likely more scarce). This process will take hours, even if your memory card has hardly anything on it. You will then need to go to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system. Say yes to all questions including formatting your memory card. After it restarts, if it does not ask you to set up the system, return to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system and say yes to all questions again and it will the next time it starts up. Set it up how you want (probably English and your own time zone) and log in with the account you want to use. If you already have a backup for this account, restore the memory card and it will restore it with the current account rather than the one you were using before you swapped. This means you can't use save data from one account on the other, but you can keep a separate backup for each account, allowing you to swap accounts with just one card. However, restoring will also take several hours even if you have hardly any data, so this process will likely take 1 day each time you want to swap accounts. Anyway, make sure to go to settings>Playstation Network>System Activation (first option under +Automatic Update Settings)>Game (first option)>Activate (first option) before you leave an area with wifi.

artemisthemp
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby artemisthemp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 am

Tokiko wrote:So wait this isnt going to be available on Canada PSN? Boooooooo..... I already have the Import UMD but I really wanted the english version as well.

Sadly wouldn't work.
I own Corpse Party (US and EU) and US version didn't work on my EU account

Tokiko
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Tokiko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

3Fox wrote:

There is a method, sort of. You can download the game to the PS3 using the US account, but you could then only transfer the game to a Vita using that US account. So, you would have to switch back and forth between accounts whenever you want to switch from/to playing the game. As for switching accounts on the Vita, there are 2 methods, one involving the use of 2 memory cards which goes by quickly enough (less than 5 minutes?), and another that only requires 1 memory card, but can take a lot longer (and is probably what you meant by "completely reformatting it").

Do note that with the 1 memory card option, you can create a backup before formatting the memory card so as to not lose any data. It is an annoying hoop to jump through, but it works and only costs time.

Instructions for account swapping copied and pasted from another thread (note that the time estimates for backup are now less than they were):
Spoiler:
1. With multiple memory cards, I recommend first turning the power off and removing your memory card so that you don't accidentally hit yes when it asks if you want to format the memory card and since you'll be removing it at some point anyway. The first required step is to go to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system. If you do not have a memory card in the device, go ahead and hit yes to all questions. If you still have the memory card in the device, say yes that you want to deactivate your account and yes you want to restore the Vita to factory settings, and no to formatting your card (don't remember question order, but these are the important ones). When the device restarts, if it does not ask you to set clock/account/etc. then you'll need to go back to settings>format>restore PS Vita system and this time saying yes to the reset to factory settings questions will reset it. Set it up however you want (probably English and your time zone) and log in with the PSN account you want to use. Turn it off, insert the memory card you have for that account, and go to settings>Playstation Network>System Activation (first option under +Automatic Update Settings)>Game (first option)>Activate (first option).

2. With just one memory card, you will first want to create a backup on your PC or PS3 (probably PC as PS3 memory is likely more scarce). This process will take hours, even if your memory card has hardly anything on it. You will then need to go to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system. Say yes to all questions including formatting your memory card. After it restarts, if it does not ask you to set up the system, return to settings>format>restore the PS Vita system and say yes to all questions again and it will the next time it starts up. Set it up how you want (probably English and your own time zone) and log in with the account you want to use. If you already have a backup for this account, restore the memory card and it will restore it with the current account rather than the one you were using before you swapped. This means you can't use save data from one account on the other, but you can keep a separate backup for each account, allowing you to swap accounts with just one card. However, restoring will also take several hours even if you have hardly any data, so this process will likely take 1 day each time you want to swap accounts. Anyway, make sure to go to settings>Playstation Network>System Activation (first option under +Automatic Update Settings)>Game (first option)>Activate (first option) before you leave an area with wifi.

As much as I may not want to I really do need to get a new memory card since mines always full :/ Might just get a new memory card for my old stuff and then use my crummy one for this. Just really wish I didnt have to go through so much effort for it. Curse you Sony! I can have tons of accounts on the PS3 from various regions but only one on the Vita?! Why must you torture me so!

アクターレ
Majin
Majin

Postby アクターレ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 pm

I still say whoever were the douchebags that caused the copyright issues for NIS can go suck a big one.

Seriously, we would have gotten a physical release and none of this "no Canada" crap.

Not to mention the game probably would have sold much better if it was released when it was originally planned to be.

artemisthemp
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby artemisthemp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

Tokiko wrote:
3Fox wrote:

Spoiler:

As much as I may not want to I really do need to get a new memory card since mines always full :/ Might just get a new memory card for my old stuff and then use my crummy one for this. Just really wish I didnt have to go through so much effort for it. Curse you Sony! I can have tons of accounts on the PS3 from various regions but only one on the Vita?! Why must you torture me so!

Because of game sharing sadly

Ghaleon
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ghaleon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Wow...I've never heard of a game that isn't allowed in canada for legal reasons without being able to be in the states too... if anything, gaming laws are normally more lax in canada...IIRC Postal 2 was outlawed in the states, but not here in canada. I think Soldier of fortune also got yoinked out of the states, but not Canada.

Very strange, and disappointing. =(.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 pm

It's not content, it's licensing.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Ghaleon
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ghaleon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I've found it mildly entertaining to visit these boards for the last couple years or so to see more and more threads where people are like "it's not coming out, they just don't want to admit it", and houk be like "it is it is!" people: "nouu, you lieee".

Maybe just to cause Houk grief us Canadian/Mexican/Whoeverelsians should just be selectively ignorant to these issues and be like "why isn't it out yet? is it coming out? da fuu nisa, why can't you just admit you abandoned it!".

Sorry houk =P.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Ghaleon wrote:I've found it mildly entertaining to visit these boards for the last couple years or so to see more and more threads where people are like "it's not coming out, they just don't want to admit it", and houk be like "it is it is!" people: "nouu, you lieee".

Maybe just to cause Houk grief us Canadian/Mexican/Whoeverelsians should just be selectively ignorant to these issues and be like "why isn't it out yet? is it coming out? da fuu nisa, why can't you just admit you abandoned it!".

Sorry houk =P.

:x

Return to “Black Rock Shooter The Game”